PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 5: Why Z.W.E.I.?

No brains
2013-12-27, 05:14 PM
Why is his name an acronym? It bothers me how his name is #2 and of an historically inaccurate naming convention (acronyms supposedly originated around 1900, no matter what the swear-stories tell you). Can anyone make sense of his name?

Bonus: If nobody responds, then I at least know the name doesn't just confuse me.

Tebryn
2013-12-27, 05:49 PM
Because it's not his real name? It's a Code Name?

Slayn82
2013-12-27, 06:33 PM
" (acronyms supposedly originated around 1900, no matter what the swear-stories tell you)"

SPQR - Senātus Populusque Rōmānus

"The title's date of establishment is unknown, but it first appears in inscriptions of the Late Republic, from c. 80 BC onwards" - Wikipedia.

No brains
2013-12-28, 03:05 AM
I know about SPQR, but I'm not sure it counts as I don't think it is pronounced as a word. Spoquer? Some sputtering cough noise? Doesn't seem to have the dignity of the Legions.:smalltongue: Silliness aside, I believe the abbreviation was used to compensate for limited literacy. A foreign enemy or provincial oaf may not be able to read entire words, but the symbol of four letters is easily recognizable.

Silliness back, I can't believe you two responded! Now I have to pay some credit to this ludicrous and obtuse nom de guerre. Although I'm still rather smug that nobody has actually justified the name yet. :smallamused: That's a smug face, right?:smalltongue:

Jermell
2013-12-28, 11:55 AM
I have no idea and really think that's the least of the games problems. Introducing tons of new characters with no introduction, getting rid of most bonus modes, and ridding the game of multiple story endings all annoy me.