PDA

View Full Version : Enlarge Person + Monkey Grip Question

bebelmakor
2013-12-27, 09:53 PM
So I am currently building a "fun" character for a Cohort in a campaign I am playing in. The question I have is this. A Human using a large greatsword as a 2 handed weapon with monkey grip suffers a -2 penalty for using the sword. Now what happens when that character becomes enlarged via Enlarge Person spell, the greatsword also increases in size. Is it still usable by the character at only a -2 penalty?

At that point, does it become 4d6 plus strenght modifier?

tyckspoon
2013-12-27, 11:50 PM
. Is it still usable by the character at only a -2 penalty?
Yes; Monkey Grip does not make reference to specific sizes, just whatever size you happen to be. A Medium character wielding a Large weapon and a Large character wielding a Huge weapon work the same way with it. (Which is to say, not very well. If you have a bit of cash spare, or if the DM lets the Cohort have indepedent wealth, see if you can outfit the cohort with a pair of Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium. 6k gold lets you wield an upsized weapon without that stupid hit penalty.)

At that point, does it become 4d6 plus strenght modifier?

1.5x Strength modifier because you're two-handing it, but yes. 2d6 increases to 3d6 to 4d6 (and then 6d6 if you manage to scrounge up another applicable size increase or effective size increase.)

Edit: Also congratulations on using Monkey Grip correctly. The amount of That Does Not Work That Way that feat causes..

bebelmakor
2013-12-28, 12:21 AM
If you have a bit of cash spare, or if the DM lets the Cohort have indepedent wealth, see if you can outfit the cohort with a pair of Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium. 6k gold lets you wield an upsized weapon without that stupid hit penalty.)

I would love nothing more than to drop some money even of my own for him but the world our DM has created is very old and over the course of nations rising and falling, the art of imbuing items with magical qualities has been lost to time. The group is currently at level 7 and we posses very few magical items, i think a total of 9 spread over a group of 6 people.

On the note of the thread, thanks for the confirmation of what i was hoping i was right. Now I just have to find a way to negate that penalty.

Darrin
2013-12-28, 11:44 AM
Now I just have to find a way to negate that penalty.

City of Stormreach p. 100, "Bloodbound of the Red Ring", Affiliation Score 11-15. Downside is you have to fight in a special arena match every week.

There's also the Touchstone site "Sunken City of Pazar" in Sandstorm. The base ability is you get something very similar to Powerful Build 1/day for 1 minute. Generally not worth a feat, but more forgivable on a cohort.