PDA

View Full Version : The best use of Trickery Devotion...

Snowbluff
2013-12-27, 10:38 PM
... is to use trickery devotion.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-27, 11:23 PM
"Say, that's a pretty cool trick. You think you could use it to, you know..."

"What? I can't use it for very long each day."

"Don't worry baby, 1 minute/level is all I need..."

Snowbluff
2013-12-27, 11:25 PM
I was talking about having the duplicates use Trickery Devotion to make duplicates, but that works too.

Mr Adventurer
2013-12-28, 05:02 AM
It... doesn't have your feats though?

Norin
2013-12-28, 07:36 AM
Hmm, yes...how?
Please elaborate? :smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2013-12-28, 10:57 AM
The wording of the feat is really vague. "Combat actions" may include use of feats.

Mr Adventurer
2013-12-28, 11:25 AM
:smallconfused: IMO that would be really stretching. I can't think of a way of supporting that position.

Gemini476
2013-12-28, 12:18 PM
It... doesn't have your feats though?

Weapon proficiencies are feats. I'm pretty sure that it's RAI that they keep those, at least, since they mention it using bows or swords.

Whether or not it keeps the rest of them is more fuzzy, but since it's both referred to as an "exact copy" and a "simulacrum", I would expect it to keep them.

Darrin
2013-12-28, 12:38 PM
The Lightning Thief: Epic Sleight Of Hand Abuse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080)

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-28, 12:52 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how, in a book so late in 3.5 as Complete Champion, they printed an ability with the word "simulacrum" in it. Hadn't they read the letters? Hadn't they heard the screams of DMs bemoaning the death of their campaign under the rain of mini-wizards? Didn't they read their own spell and realize how terribly incomplete the description was?

I guess it's not as bad as the actual spell; short-lived, different confused mechanic, available to mundanes. Yeah, sure. I almost feel better.

Valwyn
2013-12-28, 06:08 PM
I thought the best use of Trickery Devotion was to dress in a bright orange outfit, proclaim loudly that you're a ninja, and make a cross with your fingers. :smallconfused:

Gemini476
2013-12-28, 06:35 PM
I thought the best use of Trickery Devotion was to dress in a bright orange outfit, proclaim loudly that you're a ninja, and make a cross with your fingers. :smallconfused:

I thought that was going Swordsage/Air Wu Jen/Jade Phoenix Mage/Archmage and using Body Outside Body as a Sp ability?

That way you actually get to whack people in the face with your clones. Effectively, that is.

TuggyNE
2013-12-28, 07:16 PM
Weapon proficiencies are feats. I'm pretty sure that it's RAI that they keep those, at least, since they mention it using bows or swords.

Most proficiencies (class, race, and so forth) are not gained through feats, though. Elves are one of the rare exceptions that actually gain proficiency feats.

Glimbur
2013-12-28, 07:50 PM
We once had the party fight a dragon that had Trickery Devotion. So, the party fought the trickery copy of the dragon, while the actual dragon blended in with the other dragon statues around the outside of the ring. Bloodwind let the dragon attack PC's (though with range increment penalties) and we DM fiat'd the ability to use breath weapons through the copy when you are over 20 HD. It was a good fight; in that the PC's ran away when they realized they had not actually damaged the real dragon and several of them were dead.

In our defense, they did randomly decide to go dragon hunting.

Gemini476
2013-12-28, 07:51 PM
Most proficiencies (class, race, and so forth) are not gained through feats, though. Elves are one of the rare exceptions that actually gain proficiency feats.
...So they are! That still holds for armor proficiencies and War Domain Clerics, I suppose.

That's a good point, actually. Do your copies have a copy of your armor?

Man, this feat is way too vague.

Rubik
2013-12-28, 08:14 PM
Most proficiencies (class, race, and so forth) are not gained through feats, though. Elves are one of the rare exceptions that actually gain proficiency feats.Actually, all the classes other than monks, wizards, and sorcerers explicitly gain at least one Armor Proficiency feat (and in many cases, two or three). See the feat descriptions for details.

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-28, 08:20 PM
My favorite use of Trickery Devotion thus far was on a Fiend of Possession, who used Trickery Devotion to make a "real" body that would carry around the item that was possessed by the actual character.

TuggyNE
2013-12-28, 09:34 PM
Actually, all the classes other than monks, wizards, and sorcerers explicitly gain at least one Armor Proficiency feat (and in many cases, two or three). See the feat descriptions for details.

True. I was rather sloppily referring only to weapon proficiencies.

Snowbluff
2013-12-28, 10:03 PM
Best, or worst? :smalltongue:

The Lightning Thief: Epic Sleight Of Hand Abuse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080)There is nothing like wrestling yourself at super sonic speeds.

My favorite use of Trickery Devotion thus far was on a Fiend of Possession, who used Trickery Devotion to make a "real" body that would carry around the item that was possessed by the actual character.
FoP and Trickery Devotion need more screen time.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-28, 10:25 PM
I thought that was going Swordsage/Air Wu Jen/Jade Phoenix Mage/Archmage and using Body Outside Body as a Sp ability?

That way you actually get to whack people in the face with your clones. Effectively, that is.

Lol, Naruto jokes. It's so genre-bending, it's really hard to even talk about. I mean, Naruto has cool abilities, but he's got some kind of negative LA going on that keeps him from being broke (at least in the early materials). He'd be awesome if he weren't so boneheaded, but, meh, I guess that just frustrates me as a viewer. He's simultaneously the main character while also making me feel like I want more screen time for anyone but him.

Still, some epic fights.

Alas, D&D is a very poor representation of that manner of awesome. Cosmic power? Sure. Cinematic fights? Not so much.

Rubik
2013-12-28, 10:30 PM
Still, some epic fights.You know, I watched an hour and 15 minutes of the fight between Naruto and Orochimaru and compared it to the 22 minute episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Drill. The Naruto characters stood there and stared at each other so much during the "fight" that literally more happened during Avatar's 5 minute B-plot than the entire 1.25 hours of Naruto.

I don't call that "epic" under any possible definition.

ShurikVch
2013-12-29, 06:55 AM
The Lightning Thief: Epic Sleight Of Hand Abuse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080) This particular build doesn't work as advertised.
Str 6 means image have Str 3.
30 lbs is heavy load for Str 3.
Goblin weight at least 40.
Image can stagger with it, but it's limits to full-round action...

thethird
2013-12-29, 07:12 AM
Trickery devotion was a strong component of my grey lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15484141&postcount=336) entry for IC XLVI.

Its main trick with trickery devotion was the fact that poisons are neither magical nor alchemical items (and thus copied). Psionic items also don't fit those categories allowing the Grey Lord trick copy to be almost as good as the original.