PDA

View Full Version : Random thought before sleep

MrNexx
2007-01-19, 01:45 AM
Just a little thought before sleep, on making attributes a little more useful in gauging people's skills (i.e. training helps, but natural talent + training will is even better).

Option: Instead of HD +3, your maximum ranks are HD +attribute modifier. Got a negative? You can spend 1 skill point to be "trained".

Seffbasilisk
2007-01-19, 02:47 AM
That's to easy to boost skills even higher then. If you max out Cha to max out bluff, then you'd be able to get a +14 at level one will skillfocus and max ranks (and that's just assuming a 18 cha). It can get even more rediculous.

TheOOB
2007-01-19, 02:51 AM
It's a good idea in theory, but many concepts and prerequisites (especially for PrCs) are designed under the assumption that your max skill ranks is 3+character level.

Seffbasilisk
2007-01-19, 02:55 AM
Halfling with 20 dex (base 18 +2 racial) and a Cha of 12 could get into the Assassin PrC at level 3 instead of level 5 as normal.

MrNexx
2007-01-19, 01:46 PM
Eh, I still like the idea. Perhaps for a later edition, when PrCs can be rebalanced. Make talent count for something.

Golthur
2007-01-19, 01:56 PM
I like the idea a great deal as well, but it's rough to balance with prereqs and keeping things out of the hands of 1st level noobs.

Hmm.

jjpickar
2007-01-19, 02:04 PM
Well if you don't mind reworking the DCs a bit, it make a whole lot more sense to me considering training is totally dependent on character class. Case in point, sorcerers. They have the same amount of skill points wizards do but way more free time according to their class description. It makes sense that a wizard doesn't have much time to waste training himself to pick locks while he's grappling with the mysteries of the universe. The sorcerer, on the other hand, is just hanging around waiting for spells to just pop into his head and has plenty of time to practice diplomacy on people for lack of anything better to do.