PDA

View Full Version : Gurps: Magic the Gathering PbP

Feathersnow
2013-12-28, 12:38 PM
Please consult my homebrew post for setting specific rules.

Basically, a group of travelers is snowed in in Kjeldor at the waning of the Ice Age. (for new or non-Magic players, this would allow typically elf, human, orc, goblin, faerie as races, with Dwarves at least heard of. Other races do exist, such as minotaurs.)

You would start with a 25/10 point "race template allowance" that would flesh you out physically. For humans, this might manifest as social skills or barbarian super-constitution and luck, for stranger races it might be more obvious.

You could then move on to a 135/65 character. use of magic is encouraged but not required.

of note are skills of special relevance. Hidden Lore- History and Hidden Lore- cosmology are very relevant skills. also relevant, though socially stigmatized is Weird Science- artifice, this and Archeology can both get you lynched in the wrong place. Tech level varies widely between races. Goblins exist at TL 6-1 (they get a penalty because their stuff is slipshod, but on paper, it's far above anyone else) Most other races exist at TL 5 or so, with some advances specific to culture (elves have superior bows, barbarians and Dwarves have superior metallurgy, and city-dwellers have superior medicine and science.) Orcs are stuck in TL 3 with no evidence of advance.

What brings each of to this sleepy tavern on a trading road in the bad part of Autumn might be different, and it will inform what keeps you together, so don't be stingy on character details.

Feathersnow
2013-12-28, 12:53 PM
What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

2) What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Magic the gathering set during the waning days of the Ice Age.

3) How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 3-5

4)What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? pbp on this site

5) What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Respectable Professionals.

6)How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? typical for tech level, with items of a typical tech to be handled on a case by case basis.

7)Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? See below, no firm restrictions.

8) What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? see first post, but any race on Tersiare or Jamuraa is permissible in principle.

9) By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

10) Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

11) Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

12) Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I will perform die rolls.

13) Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. See the homebrew sub-forum

14)Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Background must have some idea why they do what they do, inspiration exists from canon sources, but I can provide additional help based on mechanical character designs.

15) Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? a combination of role-play and hack and slash

16) Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any tech level justified source book, plus my homebrew tech.

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-28, 07:37 PM
I have a few 3e books, always wanted to try a game. And as luck would have it, I also have the ice age triology:smallbiggrin:

I'll look at the setting and think of something.

Mantid
2014-01-01, 07:24 PM
Always a shame GURPS doesn't get more love. Well, if it happens I'm interested.

Feathersnow
2014-01-01, 07:39 PM
I have two players other expressing interest from outside the forum, your interest makes it very likely. especially since I would run it with three players. I sent a message to Grimsage Matt to this effect, but if he didn't get it, consider this notice to starting character creation.

To clarify, I am starting the players with the 'walker template, minus the jumper advantage. this would allow for a high level campaign that would get you quickly involved with the old walkers and other powers in the world. You may play as a transplant from another world if you wish, but you still must make sense and fit in the chronology.

InbatElendil
2014-01-06, 12:34 AM
Hello,

I'm one of the (formerly) outside the forum persons. Below is my character sheet-deck forthcoming.

Reginfred Styrson ("Reg" for short,of course)

Stats

14 IQ (4 x 20= 80 points)
13 Dex (3 x 20 = 60 points)
10 Str
14 Ht (3 x 10 = 30 points + 1 free level)
Total: 170/200

Advantages
tenure
claim to hospitality (racial template+5)
social rank +1 (10)
versatility(new advantage)
Mana links 6 (new advantage)
spells 7 (new advantage)

Disadvantages

Compulsive Liar -15
Dreamer (-1 to long task because I think about it) -1
Alcohol intolerance -1
Dependents (students) -10
Impulsiveness -10
Noisy (from clanking of worn artifacts x2 = +4 hear me/-4 stealth) -4
Selfish -5
Low Empathy -20

Skills

History (ancient level 16) 12
History (World: dominaria, level 12) 1
Archaeology (lvl 14) 4
Hidden Lore (cosmology level 12) 1
Hidden Lore (repairing artifacts level 15) 8

Total: 26
Overall total: 196/200 points

Feathersnow
2014-01-16, 09:50 AM
By popular request, I have altered this to be a magic using game. Each player starts with the planeswalker template in addition to the build points expressed in the original post. Here is a link to the homebrew rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322233). Anyone is welcome, previously expressed interest or otherwise.

M. Pyrrhic
2014-01-16, 09:52 AM
ST 10
DX 12
IQ 12
HT 12

Hp 13 Per 15 Speed 6
Fp 12 Will 12 Move 4

Attractive +1, Odious Personal Habit -2
Struggling Wealth

Karate 14
Diplomacy 14
Fast Talk 17
Psychology 15
Detect Lies 17
Physiology 19
Alchemy 13
Biology 13
Thaumaturgy 13

Parry 11
Dodge 11

Combat Reflexes
Talent: Anatomy 4
Fit
Enhanced Dodge

Callous -5
Curious -7
Loner -5
Unusual Biochemistry -5
Sadism -8
Silver Weakness -20
Silver Vulnerability -20
Nearsighted -10
Megalomaniac -10

Unusual background (0)
Jumper (world) (0)
6 Magic (0)
21 Spells (0)
8 Mana: 5 Blue, 3 Green (10)
Charisma 3

Savage Silhouette
Alpha authority
Forced Adaptation

Sticher's apprentice
Laboratory Maniac
Ludevics test subject

Memnite
Ornithopter
Flayer Husk

Rewind
Redirect
Cackling counterpart

Aetherize
stolen Goods
Rapid Hybridization

Preys Vengeance
Distortion Strike
Livewire Lash

Dark steel Plate
Snap caster Mage
Artful dodge

Jacob Katz, the Bloodweaver

While many would consider Katz a man of many talents; alchemist, necromancer, wizard, warrior, political maneuver, strategist, in Katz's mind, all his skills descend from a fascination with a singular discipline: Anatomy. His interest in Alchemy goes as far as biological reaction, and necromancy an application of this principle, combat is simply a very active dissection, strategy and diplomacy as simple as manipulating the biological compulsions of others....whether human will to survive, Lupin desire for security, Vampiric lust for reverence, be it conceptual or visceral, necessity or piece of mind, all the animal species are compelled by predictable biologically generated longings... Earning gratitude, escaping ire, predicting action and reaction, it's all as easy as distracting them with what their body wants... Desires bodies give up easily, with enough hours under the knife with enough corpses of their species. Even his magic is a result of his one, true passion... The fascination with opening a creature up, seeing what makes them tick, and watching it's reaction to all manner of pokes and prods. To most, Katz is a multidisciplinary who applies radical biology theories to his other fields, but in his mind, these other "sciences" are all watered down derivatives of his studies into life.

Katz was born to a family of corpse-handler serfs owned by Falkenrath regeants, charged with preparing the vampires most recent meals or defeated opponents for transition from the abattoir to the necromantic prep table. Katz's fascination with the bodies of creatures and the manifold changes that transform them from living to dead and the effects of this process started hear, practicing corpse-bothering in his off hours. On nights when the "larders" were thin, the Falkenrath would pluck peasants for a late-nite drink, Jacob making himself scarce, even drawing attention to others (including his family) to escape the serving platter. Katz effectively reverse-engineered skaab sciences, an art of fleshmolding different from and out of the reach of Falkenrath necromancy via fel magics. When it was his due to be on the menu, he casually made a point to be "found" in the midst of his "studies". From there, it was easy to make the arrogant nosferatu think that re-allocating him from dinner ingredient to magister was an inspired and merciful move on their part, rather than his plan all along. Katz spent the next four decades perfecting his arts, always careful to give his masters enough to make them feel like he was a good investment, always holding his best results back. Manipulating the biters was easy, and by the time they realized they were his billfold rather than his master like they thought, it didn't matter... His spark ignited, his creations numbering like an army, his best innovations his secrets alone, the brutal condition he left the first Assassins bodies in gave the Falkenrath vampires pause towards whether reigning him in was worth the apparent cost.

He had played the part of pawn to the vampires for so long, a man doing what he had to for the parasites ruling them all, that initially the peasantry thought him an emancipator and a hero. It was only later they realized that lack of vampires feeding on them only meant Katz would need to "harvest" test materials rather than work off the vampires leavings. In the end, it was not his definace of his former vampiric overlords that toppled Katz's tiny empire, but his indifference toward the growing threat of his new serfs. Between a peasant uprising with subtle backing from his slighted former vampiric patrons, Katz's lab was burned to the ground, the bulk of his creations destroyed, and few outside Katz himself walked out of the riot to tell the tale... not that he had any interest in doing so. The only lesson Katz took from the experience was the danger of letting things get "too hot"... If he was going to start from scratch, without his fief or his monstrous minions, he wouldn't make the mistake of letting anyone know who he was or what he'd done... the Falkenraths alone, should they find him again, were threat enough without him appearing a villain. When the opportunity to cross over out of Innistrad presented itself soon after, Katz pursued it immediately. A fresh start, and fresh ecosystems of new creatures to dissect... far too great an opportunity to pass up.

Katz is the worst kind of sociopath. He understands emotions and impulses, even in non-human creatures, well enough to predict and manipulate them, but has no sense of actual empathy... In his mind, he is the only person that matters... the rest of the sentients of the multiverse are mere toys waiting for his study, and nothing more. He's more than capable of feigning "normalcy", but only does so because it can serve his purposes... he doesn't have any actual interest or concern for others outside what he can get out of them.

Katz started his studies in re animating the dead, but that was merely his "step 1". Once he'd gotten what he'd wanted from the arts Skaabaren, he moved onto creating life where there was none, his forays into Artifice creatures. This paved the way to his third and final goal... Altering existing life where it already exists. It was during this stage his efforts were most stymied, and in the end, after determining his capabilities were limited by human form, attempted to expand his cognitive potential by conducting invasive brain surgery on himself. In reality, the operation should have killed him, but his spark ignited while he was under his own knife, misleading him into thinking he was successful beyond his most optimistic calculations. He has since realized what actually happened, but would never admit to having survived a lethal miscalculation via ignition... At best, he'd claim the possibility of "self-ignition" was part of his plans (it actually was not, he wasn't even familiar with the concept at the time). Restoring life, creating life, altering life, Katz's goals as an Anatomist are not unlike the grand Panacea of Alchemists... Through unity of theory, he has obtained power that he considers the equal of so-called Gods... He now need only refine it to achieve the final application... Control of all life.

Katz's greatest weakness is his arrogance. While his perversion, lack of decency, self serving agenda, and other vices may be darker, he is talented at reigning them in when he needs to in order to maintain allies, avoid unnecessary enemies, and achieve quid pro quo. He can even feign "nice" when he has to, if having "friends" or "gratitude" is more opportune than holding "allies" or "debts". Because of this, as callous and I hallowed a monster he is, it isn't his dark side that serves an Achilles heel, rather a misplaced faith in his own "infallibility". Katz pursues his curiosity and predilections first, while his own "survival" is backburnered in his mind, because he truly thinks with all his power an contingencies that he's undefeatible, his plans stall-able, his person largely unstoppable. His vulnerability is the one lesson he had failed to learn... He viewed the insurrection as a "setback", but in reality, he could have died with just a bit less luck, and the fact he is oblivious to this means his overconfidence could see him again in situations as bad or worse... Katz had never met a "Bolas", he's never even met a "Sharkhan Vol", in terms of power. Afloat in a realm he is less unique, he is Leary and distrustful of other Planeswalkers, but presently is still not giving them the caution truly due.

While there is an academic element, certainly, to Katz's sadism, it is not altogether different from a child pulling the wings off a fly... When tearing things apart, there is a certain pleasure in doing it with his own two hands. In combat, Katz subscribes to a stance of "I will be touching you. You may not touch me." His endgame is to collect the mana necessary to power the devices and formulae which amp his altered body from a bespectacled old scholar into a hulking monstrosity of muscle, then beat his victims into preparation for the operating table with his own two huge, meaty fists. He uses cheap blockers, scaling up into more "reliable" defenses in order to buy time to properly amass power upon himself.

Katz's body is "stalled" at his age at time of self-experimentation, just short of 50 years old. Removing his outer layers reveals him to be possibly more Skaab than human, much of his organs, blood, and bile replaced with frameworks of piping filled with sawdust, formaldehyde, and lubricant. While in possession of deceptive zombie-esque strength and durability even in his "default" form, unenhanced, he looks like a frail, 90lb weakling of an old man. A dignified profile and a now balding and greying but once luxurious long head of straight black hair suggests he might have been handsome in his younger days... Though in truth, his habit of poor hygiene that leave him with a near jaundiced perplexion, stained clothing, unpleasant odor, and greasy hair were as constant in his youth as they are now. When "amplified", his musculature inflates, reaching many times his basic weight in a matter of seconds, unchecked. His clothing is self designed to unlatch in response to this transformation aside from a pliable, liedrehosen like undergarment upon such growth. He wears prescription goggles that (through considerably more complex design) similarly stretch to remain attached. His hair, nails, and teeth do not grow with his flesh, leading to a distorted rictus grin, lumpy sausage fingers, and ratty hair spread across a stretched scalp when grown, making him as hideous as he is frightening. Perhaps most notable of the changes, however, is his voice... Most of his respiratory system grows in conjunction with his muscles to compensate for blood oxygenation, and the effect of this swelling in us lungs and trachea is his voice becomes inhumanly deep and booming after even minimal growth. In his "normal" form, Katz pays token amounts of heed to current local fashion, but favors long for al coats similar to those of Innistrad, all things equal. While he will make an effort to "clean up" for more formal audiences, the effort is token, and even when rinsed the smells of rot and grave dirt linger, even when cleaned of gore and gristle, virtually all his outfits have stains of ominous origin here and there.