PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ninja

Hannes
2007-01-19, 05:32 AM
I was wondering, what kind of weapon should I get for a level 20th ninja?
I'm making 20th level characters out of extreme boredom.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-19, 06:42 AM
Something Ghost Touch to use with your ability to go ethereal. Blurstrike too to allow Sudden Strikes when in need.

Matthew
2007-01-19, 07:05 AM
A Keen [+1] Short Sword +5 of Speed [+3] and Ki Focus [+1]?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 07:09 AM
Blurstrike (Races of the Wild) is a must; for +2, it makes the target of the first attack in every round flatfooted.

A bunch of +1 Blurstrike thrown weapons and a Glove of Taarnham the Vigilant, which makes any weapon you throw with it temporarily Throwing and Returning will let you Sudden Strike away all day long.

Hannes
2007-01-19, 07:17 AM
Hm. Thanks, will use the ghost touch and blurstrike thing. I guess I should throw in some AC raisers + speed raisers...

Rigeld2
2007-01-19, 07:20 AM
Something Ghost Touch to use with your ability to go ethereal. Blurstrike too to allow Sudden Strikes when in need.
doesnt work. ethereal != incorporeal.

Hannes
2007-01-19, 07:36 AM
Um. That's why the ghost touch's for.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 07:37 AM
Ghost touch lets you affect the incorporeal, *not* the ethereal.

Rigeld2
2007-01-19, 07:46 AM
Um. That's why the ghost touch's for.
Gohst Touch, and I quote the holy SRD,

Both its enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus) and its armor bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#armorBonus) count against the attacks of incorporeal creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype).
Here is the Incorporeal condition:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#incorporeal
The 20th level ability of a Ninja allows them to enter the Ethereal plane as the ethereal jaunt spell.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm makes no mention of being incorporeal. Youre on another plane when youre ethereal, whereas incorporeal creatures are on the Prime Material plane.

Hannes
2007-01-19, 07:56 AM
So. There's no way to hit corporeal while ethereal?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 08:01 AM
Nnnnope! It's a defensive ability.

Hannes
2007-01-19, 08:06 AM
So Ninja just turned from good towards useless... Only thing letting him do his sudden strikes by his chart is invisibility which takes one per use. Without the blurstrikes he IS useless.

Edit: Would Sudden Strike damage stack with Sneak attack?
ie. level 20th ninja level 1 rogue, smacking a flatfooted enemy would do +10d6 damage?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 08:08 AM
Yes. Ninjas suck. But at least they're better than Samurai.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-19, 08:43 AM
No it isn't; it's a "get to places where you're not supposed to be" ability. See, when you're ethereal you don't care how thick the wall is... :smallamused:

Marius
2007-01-19, 09:05 AM
Make a rogue/swordsage and call it "ninja"

Ikkitosen
2007-01-19, 09:57 AM
Sorry about the incorporeal/ethereal thing - my bad.

Ninja get an ability ("Ghost Strike") that allows them to strike the material plane whilst ethereal, but the problem is it's a move action to use so you only get 1 attack. Get an item of Hustle for help here. It's certainly not just for defence.

So Ninja just turned from good towards useless... Only thing letting him do his sudden strikes by his chart is invisibility which takes one per use. Without the blurstrikes he IS useless.

It's one ROUND per use, not one strike. Heck with TWF, Haste, etc. it can be a whole bunch of strikes.

Hannes
2007-01-19, 01:39 PM
I have no more post.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-19, 06:37 PM
Also with your level 20 gold buy some of the best darn poison there is.

tarbrush
2007-01-19, 06:43 PM
Colossal giant scorpion venom is pretty hard. DC is around the 50's as I recall.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-01-20, 06:18 AM
Colossal giant scorpion venom is pretty hard. DC is around the 50's as I recall.
The MM says 33. It's still the highest DC poison I've seen, and 1d10 Con is nothing to be sneezed at.

Aximili
2007-01-20, 09:50 AM
It's one ROUND per use, not one strike. Heck with TWF, Haste, etc. it can be a whole bunch of strikes.
Unfortunately, it's invisibility, not greater invisibility. It lasts one round, but dissipates with the first strike. So yeah, one strike per use.

Malek
2007-01-20, 10:14 AM
IIRC it was changed to improved invisibility effect in errata - will check that in a minute

TRM
2007-01-20, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately, it's invisibility, not greater invisibility. It lasts one round, but dissipates with the first strike. So yeah, one strike per use.
However a creature is flat-footed until its first action in combat. With a high Init bonus you could sudden strike it several times before it can act.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 10:45 AM

This is incorrect. It grants invisibility, NOT invisibility as the spell. It's a condition first, a spell second.

Malek
2007-01-20, 11:04 AM
Yup, Ikkitosen is right. Below I present quote from FAQ (found - oh the irony - on GitP boards in some earlier topic via google, as WotC site seems to be down at the moment):

How does the ghost step ability of the ninja (Complete
Adventurer) work? Does the invisibility effect end if the
ninja attacks, like with the invisibility spell, or does it
continue after an attack, like with the greater invisibility
spell?
The invisibility granted by the ninja’s ghost step class
feature lasts until the start of the ninja’s next turn, regardless of
whether she attacks or not. Thus, it’s more like greater
invisibility than like the normal invisibility spell.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-20, 02:01 PM
A luck blade. I can think of no character that wouldn't like one.

Aximili
2007-01-20, 02:52 PM
This is incorrect. It grants invisibility, NOT invisibility as the spell. It's a condition first, a spell second.

Yup, Ikkitosen is right. Below I present quote from FAQ (found - oh the irony - on GitP boards in some earlier topic via google, as WotC site seems to be down at the moment):

:smallamused: I would never have guessed... The ninja just moved up a whole set of stairs for me.^^

Live and learn.
New question than. Does the ghost step(invisibility) end at the begining of your next turn or at the end of your current turn? Cause if it is the first, I can think of no reasons why someone would use the ninja's ability that grants 20% concealment.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-20, 06:33 PM
:smallamused: I would never have guessed... The ninja just moved up a whole set of stairs for me.^^

Live and learn.
New question than. Does the ghost step(invisibility) end at the begining of your next turn or at the end of your current turn? Cause if it is the first, I can think of no reasons why someone would use the ninja's ability that grants 20% concealment.

Then they move back down that whole set of stairs when they target somebody with such a mainstream feat as blindfight. I like a house rule that if you move silently (beating the blindfighter's listen check) that you still get to make them flat-footed.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-20, 06:40 PM

Edit: Would Sudden Strike damage stack with Sneak attack?
ie. level 20th ninja level 1 rogue, smacking a flatfooted enemy would do +10d6 damage?
Actually each use of ghost step (invisible) lasts a whole round regaurdless of any attacking the ninja may do, see the text says he turns invisible for a round, but makes no mention of it being as the spell.

Pfft; i never had to use the FAQ for that ruling, i just assumed the ninja wasn't so terrible as for that to be case, based on the wording at least...

Oh and to the person that asked: SA and SS do stack....