PDA

View Full Version : ToM(binder)/EPH(soulknife) combo?????

Ashheart
2007-01-19, 06:03 AM
I'm starting a new caracter in a new party and I wanted to begin with something that was totaly out there.
I came up with the concept of a youth that was trained by his father a powerfull Monk in both Binding (from the new Tome of Magic. For those of you who don't own that book, a Binder is a core class that binds spirits called Vestiges to his soul and gain speciale powers (most of them withoout limit) from these spirits) and a Psion in the form of a Soulknife (a core class that gain the power to manifest a "mindblade" at will (these things don't use powers) and learn to strenghten that blade as they progress).

What I want to know is: Can I make this character work? Some of the abilities overlap and I'm wondering if I shoulden't dop the Soulknife idea...

Please help me make this character work.

Ashes
2007-01-19, 06:28 AM
Well, any build involving a Soulknife won't be very powerful. Flavourful, perhaps.

And the Binder is not a PrC. It is a full, 20-level class.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-19, 06:29 AM
Soulknife is one of the worst base classes there is, without a feat to let binder levels stack for mindblade progression you should not try this.

Ashheart
2007-01-19, 06:45 AM
Yes, my feeling was the same...but I was hoping the soulknife build would open up my goldpiece limit a bit (because you don't need to buy a weapon of course).
While it's mostly a flavour build, my other party members are going for power build and I don't want to be left behind...could I homebrew a feat for the mindblade progression mabye???

Also Ashes is correct, Binder isn't a prestige class I was using the wrong abreviations....I must not be getting enough sleep :smalltongue: .

PinkysBrain
2007-01-19, 06:58 AM
Vestigal Mind :

You invite your vestiges to share your mind, strengthening it.

Prerequisites : Mindblade and Soulbinding class abilities.

Benefits : You can invite a vestige in your mind, to do so you have to willingly enter into a poor pact. If you do so your Soulknife and Binder levels stack for your Soulbinding and Mindblade progression.

I'd allow it.

PS. maybe also :

Improved Vestigal Mind :

Your mental connection to your vestiges grows deeper.

Prerequisite : Vestigal Mind

Benefits : When you invite a vestige into your mind you get a seperate Psionic Focus you can expend and gain the benefit of the slippery mind class ability. The penalty for not abiding by the vestige's requirements increases to -2.

PPS. of course I have a very lax attitude towards balance where it doesn't concern casters :)

Ramza00
2007-01-19, 07:22 AM
Horrible combination as the rules are currently written, you would do better with a binder/swordsage 2 and bind Ronove.

Ashheart
2007-01-19, 07:23 AM
Looks good PinkysBrain, looks very good.
Thanks for the fast feat generation....your Vestigial Mind looks fine to me but I think it's improved version is slightly overpowerd.I would lose the extra penalty and say that you gain a extra psionic focus (or at least you can get two focusses, you'd still need to Concentrate to get them) and you can use that focs to gain one use of slippery mind.

At least thats what I think, but thanks all the same. Now I at least have something to show my DM.

Ramza00, I don't know the swordsage...Tome of Battle mabye?
I don't own it but I was thinking of a way to combine binding Ronove with the soulknife (or swordsage) class...perhaps I could ask my DM if the monk damage from binding Ronove can get incorperated into the mindblade damage.

Ramza00
2007-01-19, 09:09 AM
Just replace Swordsage 2 with 2 levels of Monk then. It would just give you wisdom in light armor instead of wisdom in no armor. Yes Tome of battle

Macrovore
2007-01-19, 09:17 AM
is it just me, or does "vestigial mind" sound kinda wierd. as if your mind was a vestigial organ, like your appendix.

but what i'd really like to see is a binder/incarnate combo. you would be super-soulmelding/binding man. just think: both of those classes allow for incredibly powerful and customizable characters. just think if you combined them.