PDA

View Full Version : Playable Yak Folk

Catman
2013-12-28, 04:43 PM
Yak Folk are one of my favorite monstrous humanoids. I'm playing with the idea of a monstrous campaign, and am wondering if anyone knows a good set of stats to use. I'm thinking it'd be a LA +4, all things considered. And as for Command Genie, I'm thinking limit the genies to those that would be available to a character of the same level with Leadership, to keep it reasonable (there are some badass genies).

This is what I've looked at...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-85318.html

I like to keep as close to the sourcebooks as possible, by the way.

A_S
2013-12-28, 05:16 PM
Well, they have stats in MMII (which is where the OP of the thread you linked was pulling from). They're LA+2. Is there some reason you don't want to use those?

Catman
2013-12-28, 05:34 PM
I'm confused about it. Would the ECL be +7?

Spore
2013-12-28, 06:01 PM
There are Tauren in the WoW Core Rulebook: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143940

Alleine
2013-12-28, 06:06 PM
It's ECL 7 because it starts with 5 Racial Hit Dice, and has +2 LA on top of that. Each of those counts for ECL.

EDIT: If you want it to be more playable from a lower level, you could always look around for/design a monster class for it.

Grayson01
2013-12-28, 06:07 PM
Are you going to tell your players Yakied Yak Don't Talk back?

Catman
2013-12-28, 07:03 PM
It's ECL 7 because it starts with 5 Racial Hit Dice, and has +2 LA on top of that. Each of those counts for ECL.

EDIT: If you want it to be more playable from a lower level, you could always look around for/design a monster class for it.

Could I replace the Racial Hit Dice with levels of Artificer...?

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-28, 07:05 PM
Could I replace the Racial Hit Dice with levels of Artificer...?

Not normally, no. Doing so would be a huge boost to power level.

jedipotter
2013-12-28, 07:06 PM
Yak Folk are one of my favorite monstrous humanoids.

I like to keep as close to the sourcebooks as possible, by the way.

By the book, Yak Folk are very powerful. You can't make a playable race, unless you take away abilities. Or do a monster class.

So ask yourself what to you like about the Yak Folk? Just take that and make a race out of that.

ArqArturo
2013-12-28, 07:46 PM
I haven't been able to find the mm2, nor can I find stats on these guys, added that I know next to nothing on them, other than they look like more refined minotaurs, and they fluff that they try to conceal their tyrannical rule to attract more humanoids for slavery. So, why are they more powerful than your average minotaur?.

EDIT: Ok, just found out why they seem so powerful. Well, if you're gonna have a race of djinn-controlling minotaurs, I think monster levels should be a thing.