PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever do this? (DM's)

questionmark693
2013-12-28, 04:44 PM
So I'm getting ready to start a campaign to teach a couple friends how to play D&D. I couldn't decided between two different modules I really like, so i asked the players very vaguely, if they preferred demons or dragons, then said that their decision won't mean they never see the other.

So I'm asking, do you guys ever do similar things?

Brookshw
2013-12-28, 04:55 PM
Honestly, no, but if you have an all new group sounds like a good idea. Then again I rarely run modules.

Urpriest
2013-12-28, 04:58 PM
I generally give a little more detailed description, if I'm considering different modules.

"One is a story about demonic corruption in the church of Pelor, the other about an invasion of Spawn of Tiamat, which do you guys want to do?"

That sort of thing.

questionmark693
2013-12-28, 05:04 PM
Part of the reason I didn't give a more detailed description is because these guys are new to the game, and I don't know how well they'll be able to keep a handle on their metagaming, so I didn't want to make that harder for them.

Captnq
2013-12-28, 05:09 PM
I put on a black robe, turn on faux-latin chants while dimming the lights, then hand out the chick publication "Dark Dungeons" and ask if they are prepared to start their journey into the unknowable unknown of unknown, not known... stuff.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-28, 05:10 PM
Part of the reason I didn't give a more detailed description is because these guys are new to the game, and I don't know how well they'll be able to keep a handle on their metagaming, so I didn't want to make that harder for them.

Have you thought about briefly talking to them about metagaming first? Assuming they're mature people, of course.

questionmark693
2013-12-28, 05:13 PM
That is very much my intent, is to talk to them about metagaming, staying in character, etc. But if it turns out that they are really bad at keeping their metagaming under control, deliberately or otherwise, I didn't want to make it harder for them to do so by telling them what they were going to be going up against.

Urpriest
2013-12-28, 05:14 PM
Actually, one thing I forgot to point out: generally, it's better to start new players out with tailored campaigns, and leave modules for later when they're better at dealing with their quirks.

wayfare
2013-12-28, 05:22 PM
Well, not metagaming is pretty hard, especially for new players. I've only ever met 1 or 2 people who didn't really play themselves for the first few sessions (or even campaigns). Some evteran players I know cope with metagaming by simply having super-well educated charaters who have a chance of knowing a bit about anything.

In answer to your post, thats how I have done all of my campaigns for teh last few years. I usually give two or three short blurbs and ask which the players would like. For example:

D&DSI: Join the Waterdeep watch in an episodic campaign that confronts shadowy magic and deadly desperados. This campaign will focus heavily on gathering information and making connections, but strong combat ability is also recommended.

The Horror From Beyond The Stars: A meteor has landed near an old Dwarven citadel. The mecanical monsters that emerge from it threaten to overrun the whole kingdom! Create an alliance and lead an army against these horrors before your world is torn down!

herrhauptmann
2013-12-28, 05:30 PM
So I'm getting ready to start a campaign to teach a couple friends how to play D&D. I couldn't decided between two different modules I really like, so i asked the players very vaguely, if they preferred demons or dragons, then said that their decision won't mean they never see the other.

I've done similar things, but only when thinking about a campaign that heavily features certain monster types that completely invalidate a pre-existing character.
If the party has a rogue, I'll think twice about doing an undead/construct game, especially if it's a combat heavy game and he's the best in combat (mechanically, and by intelligent decisions).
Or a strictly wilderness game when someone has a character suited to a low-combat game of intrigue.
In those cases, I'll quietly offer them the chance to build a new character for the duration. They can bring the old one back afterwards at teh same level as the others with some new gear if they choose, or keep the new one.

jedipotter
2013-12-28, 06:59 PM

Sort of. I would never ask a specific question like that. That just leads to problems and metagaming.

It is much better to ask in general what the players like or don't like. You want to know that sort of thing. But you also need to be careful, as a lot of people don't know what they like or are just wrong.

Bullet06320
2013-12-28, 08:32 PM
been awhile since I ran a game with a brand new to gaming player

but when I start a new campaign, and its character design time, I sit down with the players and tell them what type of campaign im running, so they can better taylor their characters to it

citybased or wilderness base, desert, artic, planes hoping, aquatic, etc so we don't end up with aquatic characters in a desert environment, lol

questionmark693
2013-12-28, 09:52 PM
UrPriest, why do you say that modules aren't a good idea? My experience is that they're really easy (if it's only a level 1-3 module for example), so my experience says otherwise.

I will make sure (regardless of whether I'm running a module or not) that nobody gets a character that's cut off at the knees because of the world I put them in.