PDA

View Full Version : Attack of opportunity vs reach

Vec
2013-12-28, 05:15 PM
So, this weekend when i played D&D 3.5 we were in an encounter that separated all the melee classes from the casters. On the melee side was a paladin, knight, ranger, scout, rogue, and a swordsage. We were fighting a devil and two undead all of which had reach and the DM was playing that the mobs got attacks of opportunities on us just for treating to get in close enough to make an attack. This was incredible hard since 2 of the mobs did 1d8 con damage per hit.

My question is the attacks of opportunity being done wrong?

Amphetryon
2013-12-28, 05:20 PM
Assuming I read your question and scenario correctly, Attacks of Opportunity are triggered whenever an attacker steps inside an opponent's threatened square(s). A creature with Reach can therefore cause enemies to provoke merely for attempting to close and engage on the creature with Reach. In other words, it sounds like it was done right, as you've described it.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-28, 05:34 PM
Assuming I read your question and scenario correctly, Attacks of Opportunity are triggered whenever an attacker steps inside an opponent's threatened square(s). A creature with Reach can therefore cause enemies to provoke merely for attempting to close and engage on the creature with Reach. In other words, it sounds like it was done right, as you've described it.

nitpick: I think the AoO is triggered when you leave the square, not when entering. This is a pointless distinction in the OP's scenario since AoO are completed before the action that caused them is, but just for the record.

Vec
2013-12-28, 05:38 PM
nitpick: I think the AoO is triggered when you leave the square, not when entering. This is a pointless distinction in the OP's scenario since AoO are completed before the action that caused them is, but just for the record.

That's what I thought, that AoO were only triggered when you leave a threatened square.

Xervous
2013-12-28, 05:44 PM
AoOs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm)

enjoy.

Amphetryon
2013-12-28, 06:08 PM

That was what I meant - and should have made clearer - when I said "steps inside" rather than "steps into." Thanks for making it clearer for those who don't live inside my brain.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-28, 06:17 PM

No they aren't. They are completed immediately upon triggering.

SowZ
2013-12-28, 06:33 PM
That's what I thought, that AoO were only triggered when you leave a threatened square.

Yes, but when you enter the square next to the spear holder, you 'leave' the threatened square.

TuggyNE
2013-12-28, 07:26 PM
So, this weekend when i played D&D 3.5 we were in an encounter that separated all the melee classes from the casters. On the melee side was a paladin, knight, ranger, scout, rogue, and a swordsage. We were fighting a devil and two undead all of which had reach and the DM was playing that the mobs got attacks of opportunities on us just for treating to get in close enough to make an attack. This was incredible hard since 2 of the mobs did 1d8 con damage per hit.

My question is the attacks of opportunity being done wrong?

Assuming you were using regular move actions or charges to get in close, no, they weren't. If you were using 5' steps, though, those should prevent AoOs.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-28, 07:33 PM
Assuming you were using regular move actions or charges to get in close, no, they weren't. If you were using 5' steps, though, those should prevent AoOs.

Unless your opponents have the Thicket of Blades stance, of course.
It's a good lesson for melee players to learn imo. Always carry a ranged and/or reach weapon as backup.

Vhaidara
2013-12-28, 07:37 PM
Also they only get 1 per round (or Dex modifier/round), so 3 enemies vs your 6 person group should have meant, at most, half of you could get hit once per round by the AoO.

OldTrees1
2013-12-28, 07:51 PM
Also they only get 1 per round (or Dex modifier/round), so 3 enemies vs your 6 person group should have meant, at most, half of you could get hit once per round by the AoO.

1(+Dex mod). Combat Reflexes gives additional AoOs/round.

Dalebert
2013-12-28, 08:00 PM
This is one of the things that's so nice about enlarge person. Use it on someone who already has a reach weapon. Yikes!