PDA

View Full Version : Realm-management games

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-28, 05:24 PM
The other day I started a thread asking about things a generic system should cover (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321815). One answer that came up a lot was "realm management," where the party controls a castle, a city, a kingdom, whatever. Can anyone recommend some good systems with rules for such a thing? I'd like to see what's out there before I try to write my own.

Grinner
2013-12-28, 09:42 PM
Good ones? I wouldn't know. As far as pen and paper gaming goes, tabletop 4x strategy games seem pretty niche. That said, I've heard of a few options:

REIGN*
ACKS
D&D Stronghold Builder's Guide

*Though you may want REIGN Enchiridion instead, as it covers just the rules and, consequently, is cheaper.

Rhynn
2013-12-28, 10:30 PM
HarnMaster had HarnManor, but that's fairly small-scale - just managing one manor. The official zine added household management, but again, small-scale. Nothing for entire realms, although you could extrapolate.

BECM D&D had quite good rules for rulership and warfare in the Companion rulebooks.

Adventurer Conqueror King System (ACKS) is a D&D retroclone that improves greatly on the D&D endgame, with the most robust economics and the best realm-management system I've seen, and Domains At War (a warfare supplement that looks thoroughly awesome) coming out in January.

There's a plug-in system called An Echo, Resounding IIRC, but I'm not at all familiar with it.

I recall some 3rd-party D&D 3.X rules for warfare and domains, but I can't remember the name of the system.

LibraryOgre
2013-12-29, 12:55 PM
The AD&D setting Birthright had extensive realm-management rules built in, as did the Rules Cyclopedia version of D&D.

While not specifically realm management, Ars Magica's covenants do tend to involve a significant amount of small-settlement management.