PDA

View Full Version : Divine Arcanist (cleric variant) peach

re_e
2013-12-28, 05:49 PM
This is a variant cleric based on the mystic theurge prestige class.

Divine Arcanist
The divine arcanist spends all his time to learn arcane and divine magic, usually having the same devotion than a wizard. Because of this a divine arcanist lacks any type of martial training.

Hit Die
The divine arcanist uses a d4 for his Hit Die (and has hit points at 1st level equal to 4 + Con modifier).

Base Attack Bonus
The divine arcanist's uses the poor base attack bonus.

Base Save Bonus
The divine arcanist's has good will saves, but has poor Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Class Skills
The divine arcanist's class skill list includes Decipher Script, and all Knowledge skills.

Class Features
The divine arcanist has all the standard cleric class features, except as noted below.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Divine Arcanists are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Deity and Domains
If a divine arcanist worship a deity, this deity must have the magic domain.
Unlike clerics the divine arcanist gains only the magic domain. For a divine arcanist the magic domain granted power is changed.

Magic Domain Granted Power
Gain the ability to knows and casts arcane spells as generalist wizard of one-half your divine arcanist level. If you are also a generalist wizard (or advance your wizard spellcasting with prestige classes), actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack. You can use your domain spell slots to prepare wizard spells. This ability do not change the wizard spells in any way.

Spontaneous Casting and Turn or Rebuke Undead
The divine arcanist loses the ability to spontaneous cast cure or inflict spells and turn or rebuke undeads.

Spellcasting
A divine arcanist has one less cleric and wizard spell slot per day from each spell level (to a minimum of zero spells per day) and cast his spells at —1 caster level (minimum 1).
The divine arcanist can pray and study his spellbook simultaneously, preparing his cleric and wizard spells at same time. He still needs 8 hours of rest to prepare his wizard spells (including wizard spells prepared in domain spell slots) and the correct time of day to prepare his cleric spells.

Darkweave31
2013-12-29, 12:08 AM
I believe that giving one class casting from two tier 1 classes (even with one at 1/2 level) is a very powerful option. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make a replacement for mystic theurge, a class that can more easily lead into it, or are you trying to capture the flavor of a priest that learns to practice the arcane arts as a way to glorify her patron?

DeAnno
2013-12-29, 12:56 PM
I'm tempted to say this isn't OP just because it loses Turn Undead. The fewer slots, CL penalty, loss of a domain are also all things. The MAD is another issue, meaning you will have less bonus spells to counteract the loss of slots.

It's a little awkward that the way this is intended to be used is pretty much always some variant of DivArc 6/MT 10 though.

re_e
2013-12-29, 03:46 PM
I believe that giving one class casting from two tier 1 classes (even with one at 1/2 level) is a very powerful option. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make a replacement for mystic theurge, a class that can more easily lead into it, or are you trying to capture the flavor of a priest that learns to practice the arcane arts as a way to glorify her patron?

I wanted to create a class that can easily enter the mystic theurge prc, or used as a replacement. It also can be used as a easier entry to these prcs that requires arcane and divine spellcasting but advances only one.

I'm tempted to say this isn't OP just because it loses Turn Undead. The fewer slots, CL penalty, loss of a domain are also all things. The MAD is another issue, meaning you will have less bonus spells to counteract the loss of slots.

It's a little awkward that the way this is intended to be used is pretty much always some variant of DivArc 6/MT 10 though.

I made this variant thinking in DivArc 10/MT 10.

Just to Browse
2013-12-29, 08:03 PM
The half-casting, but full access from PrC's means this is basically just MT bounce material. Not inspiring, but functional.