PDA

View Full Version : Character Idea (Hiei)

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 06:06 PM
I am a huge fan of manga and after rereading some i remember how bad*** Hiei from YuYu Hakusho was.
How would you build this character, prob as an NPC.
The party has recently given another BBEG the power to create his own demiplane and he is planning on becoming a god soon, so i am going to work it as he creates a new plane with a new world with this characters on it (One-punch man, etc) that he rules and occasionally attacks the prime material world.
Anyways how would you go about building Hiei to match what he can do in the manga (and lesser extend movies and anime)

Waker
2013-12-28, 07:05 PM
It's been some time since I read the manga or watched the anime, so I'm sure certain finer points will be overlooked. Anyways, I would suggest for you to go with a Jade Phoenix Mage to represent him. His initiator base should probably be Swordsage to represent his large array of martial arts techniques. His mage portion could be represented by Sorcerer, Wizard or Wu Jen.
His Flame Techniques can be represented by a combination of Desert Wind and Evocation/Conjuration effects.
Jagan Eye via Diamond Mind and Enchantment/Divination.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:12 PM
Not a bad idea, i have a few notes:
Master Swordsmen, Super Speed, Impressive strength,
Afterimage (not really needed) and astral projection (manga only)
Mixture between fire and ice demon (in manga seems to be immune to fire, anime makes him immune to ice also)
Jagan eye (third eye under headband, immunity mind effects, telepathy)
Jagan form (spot and search bonus, no flanking, +2 dex and strength. His body turns green and numerous eyes open on his body)
Jagan binding curse (prob power word stun as SLA in jagan form only)
Fists of mortal flame (cloaks hands in regular flame, monk feat?)
Flamethrower (Aganozzor’s scorcher prob, regular fire)
Sword of the darkness flame (flame blade, 1d8+1 per caster level, turn black and maybe make it hellfire)
Dragon of the darkness flame (flames harm those immune to fire, make it hellfire maybe. Hiei can absorb it into himself.)
Black dragon wave (as dragon of darkness flame but releases many, prob hundred legged dragon dance (AEG magic)? Maybe increase damage too)

Make all darkness flame count as hellfire? (think hellfire is explained to be white though, and blackfire spell actually causes cold damage so it is unusably)

Tattoo monk 1 (dragon tattoo) (pure fluff to replicate the dragon tattoo he use to have on his arm)
Monk (maybe arcane monk from AEG magic, but not really wanting monk).

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:14 PM
Really don't want to use monk, only just started ideas so moving only classes now to try to find some that fit. Hardest thing so far is finding something that actually matches dragon of the darkness flame.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:17 PM
ok i like jade phonies mage, not exactly what he does but fits close enough for me, plus just seems cool for him to be able to do the last thing lol. I really do not want to use monk in this build, was just first thing that fit some of his abilities.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:19 PM
Desert wind also has some viable abilities though...dragon's flame is cool tool and its comes through that path.

Waker
2013-12-28, 07:35 PM
You really don't need to make multiple posts in reply.

Master Swordsmen, Super Speed, Impressive strength,
Can easily be represented by Swordsage or Warblade. Super speed can be managed with Improved Initiative and Sudden Leap.

Afterimage (not really needed) and astral projection (manga only)
Mirror Image and Astral Projection.

Mixture between fire and ice demon (in manga seems to be immune to fire, anime makes him immune to ice also)
Race-wise you could go with Tiefling, Genasi, one of the environmental racial subtypes or something else entirely.

Jagan eye (third eye under headband, immunity mind effects, telepathy)
Can be mostly replicated by Diamond Mind and Enchantment/Divination like I said before. Reusable Telepathy is the purview of the Mindbender PrC.

Jagan form (spot and search bonus, no flanking, +2 dex and strength. His body turns green and numerous eyes open on his body)
Sounds like a transmutation effect. While I don't know of any specific spells off the top of my head, there are probably one or two in the Wizard or Wu Jen spell lists that can manage.

Fists of mortal flame (cloaks hands in regular flame, monk feat?)
Desert Wind manages this just fine. Burning Blade for example can do this at level 1.

Flamethrower (Aganozzor’s scorcher prob, regular fire)
Sword of the darkness flame (flame blade, 1d8+1 per caster level, turn black and maybe make it hellfire)
Not gonna go through all the techniques, but I know several Desert Wind can manage stuff like this.

Dragon of the darkness flame (flames harm those immune to fire, make it hellfire maybe. Hiei can absorb it into himself.)
Black dragon wave (as dragon of darkness flame but releases many, prob hundred legged dragon dance (AEG magic)? Maybe increase damage too)
Searing Spell metamagic feat can do this. If you want to play up on the evil aspect, you could add the Violate Spell metamagic as well.

Tattoo monk 1 (dragon tattoo) (pure fluff to replicate the dragon tattoo he use to have on his arm)
You could also use a Dragonmark from Eberron. Or just say he has a tattoo, you don't need to spend feats or class levels to add fluff.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:40 PM
Good ideas, managed to let me avoid monk (think the only thing that class can do well is make DBZ characters that are far inferior).
On a side note, Swordsage, Wizard (with precocious apprentice would allow earlier access?), jade phoenix mage.
what age cresent moon ninja, it has a ability to confuse or confound a target right, that would work for jagan eye ability with a little fluff change?

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 07:42 PM
Fire gensai have a fire effect that allows them to deal fire damage right? That replaces fiery fist feat from monk so check.
If there an ice heritage or something that grants ice immunity? or atleast high resistance?

and think i will go with metamagic effects to replicate dragon of darkness flame, thematic maybe to make fireball (or similar) to look like a dragon of black flames. Also would it be broken to count his fire as hellfire or would searing be a better choice?

Waker
2013-12-28, 07:46 PM
Good ideas, managed to let me avoid monk (think the only thing that class can do well is make DBZ characters that are far inferior).
On a side note, Swordsage, Wizard (with precocious apprentice would allow earlier access?), jade phoenix mage.
what age cresent moon ninja, it has a ability to confuse or confound a target right, that would work for jagan eye ability with a little fluff change?

Precocious Apprentice would allow you to take less caster levels to enter the PrC, but you still need 9 ranks in Concentration, so you would be a 6th level character before you can meet class requirements.

Ninja of the Crescent Moon would require a lot of Monk stuff to take, so I would avoid it. If you want to confound enemies, play up the Illusion and Enchantment spells. Confusion might not have a fancy name like Kuji-kiri, but it works fine and has few requirements.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 09:16 PM
overlooked the concentration requirement. And ya i noticed while looking at the crescent ninja, it takes to many levels for only 1 ability that would fit.

j_spencer93
2013-12-28, 09:32 PM
Also how would you work his katana skills into the game, i thought of just going wizard 3, swordsage 6, then iaijutsu master 2 to nab katana as a finesse weapon and cha to initiative.
by level 11 so far. Not really caring if he hits 20 or not, he is a S class demon which after reading the manga i say easily allows him to be epic.

CIDE
2013-12-28, 11:59 PM
Please, stop double posting. There is an edit function. Use it.

Now, to the OP Warlock could probably manage it to some degree. Especially hellfire warlock to represent the drain the dragon of the darkness flame. Just refluff the flames to black.

Edit: Use that one feat to get Dragonfire Adept invocations also. Or just take dragonfire adept.

j_spencer93
2013-12-29, 12:22 AM
Ok i am unsure of now to build him, and have came up with 3 options.
1: based on hellfire (warlock 6, hellfire warlock 3, desciple of Mephistopheles 8) a 17 level build, with 3 levels in swordsage (desert wind). This would focus more on his darkness flame abilities, but still have some martial skill.

2: a swordsage, jade phoneix mage, wizard, iaijutsu master. This utilizes less black fire but can combine magic with his attacks.
Swordsage does get the fire snake manuver with a little fluff obviously can replicate the dragon of darkness flame. Would an item that allows all fire abilities used to count as hellfire make it overpowered?

3: go epic and mix the two builds as much as i can, i max out at level 30 in our game at the moment, and prob would not let him go anymore then 25.