PDA

View Full Version : Warforged. Shocking fist. Healing.

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-29, 01:20 AM
Somewhere, somewhen I read something about a trick a warforged with shocking fist could pull, which was being healed by the electric damage and "removing the need of downtime healing altogether", this memory is very clear and I truly feel like it's a thing but after googling for almost an hour, searching my browser's history, and looking for it on the forums I can't find it and I'm starting to feel like my mind is playing very devious tricks on me (This is truly frustrating).

If the playground so happens to know how a character can be healed by electric damage or even remember which thread I'm talking about, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just drop it in a couple of... days... I hope. :smalleek:

Darrin
2013-12-29, 08:44 AM
If you the playground so happens to know how a character can be healed by electric damage or even remember which thread I'm talking about, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just drop it in a couple of... days... I hope. :smalleek:

A Warforged Cleric 9 that takes Dragonblood substitution levels (Races of the Dragon p. 106) can get an ability called Energy Sustenance (Su). As an immediate action, they can use a TU to heal 1 HP per 3 electricity damage. Not really all that efficient, but probably looks pretty cool.

Zweisteine
2013-12-29, 09:36 AM
There is a planetouched race that has electricity healing.

The Mechanatrix (Fiend Folio) does have that. It's an LA 1 race, but "Lesser" is often considered to be applicable to most planetouched (remove outsider type; remove LA).

Darrin
2013-12-29, 09:42 AM
There is a planetouched race that has electricity healing.

The Mechanatrix (Fiend Folio) does have that. It's an LA 1 race, but "Lesser" is often considered to be applicable to most planetouched (remove outsider type; remove LA).

Shocking Fist is warforged-only. So you'd have to use Renegade Mastermaker 10. But if you're going through all that, then you might as well do the whole Shambling Mound thing.

Zweisteine
2013-12-29, 09:56 AM
Take the feat Shape Soulmeld (Lightning Gauntlets), or a level of Incarnate.

The Lightning Gauntlets Soulmeld lets you deal 1d6 electricity damage with a touch attack, at will. Each point of essentia invested in it increases the damage by 1d6.
At Incarnate level 3, you can bring damage to 4d6, and heals minimum of 1 hit point. (or take Expanded Soulmeld Capacity at Incarnate level 1, and you can heal 3d6 as soon as you have 2 essentia (level one gets you one point, a third feat gets you the last one)

Mechanatrix Incarnate 1
Feats: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, any other feat granting bonus essentia, one flaws
Shapes Lightning Gauntlets (with expanded capacity) and Lifebond Vestments.
After battle, invests essentia in Gaubtlets to heal self, then switches to Cestments to heal party, then back to Gaubtlets to re-heal self.

Relevant book: Magic of Incarnum

Invader
2013-12-29, 10:02 AM
I would guess it was optimizing shocking fist with stone power and use crusader healing mmaneuvers.

You cancel out the damage done to yourself from shocking with stone power and your healing maneuvers heal back hps. It seems a little dubious to me but others seem to think it works fine.

Big Fau
2013-12-29, 04:07 PM
I would guess it was optimizing shocking fist with stone power and use crusader healing mmaneuvers.

You cancel out the damage done to yourself from shocking with stone power and your healing maneuvers heal back hps. It seems a little dubious to me but others seem to think it works fine.

Dubious nothing, it works. And it turns your Warforged into a miniature Iron Tager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8KOM2zw98).

Mordokai
2013-12-29, 04:11 PM
I remember having a warforged who invested skill ranks into gemcutting. Profession, if memory serves? You spend a whole night, cutting yourself and in the morning, you feel better for it.

For an added comedy, play a bard and invest ranks into Perform(Emo Poetry).

Invader
2013-12-29, 04:11 PM
But you're not using a maneuver to activate shocking fist to damage yourself which is how I interpreted it work.

Big Fau
2013-12-29, 04:48 PM
But you're not using a maneuver to activate shocking fist to damage yourself which is how I interpreted it work.

Stone Power doesn't require you to use a maneuver, it just requires you to attack. The very first line of Stone Power's benefit section says it works on any attack action/full attack action. There's nothing to interpret.

Invader
2013-12-29, 06:53 PM
Stone Power doesn't require you to use a maI'm not sure neuver, it just requires you to attack. The I ery first line of Stone Power's benefit section says it works on any attack action/full attack action. There's nothing to interpret.

Right but you need to use a maneuver to actually heal yourself and I'm not sure shocking fist works with a maneuver is what I meant.

Big Fau
2013-12-29, 08:18 PM
Right but you need to use a maneuver to actually heal yourself and I'm not sure shocking fist works with a maneuver is what I meant.

Shocking Fist can be used on any Strike that allows you to use a Slam attack (which is 99% of the Strikes in the game). Hell, if you can pull it off during your own turn, you can even use it on a Counter that allows you to use your Slam attack.

And why would you need to use a maneuver to heal? As long as you never use Shocking Fist for more than 10, you can just let Stone Power's temp HP take the hit and deal 10d4 Electricity damage (and then use some high-damage maneuver instead of a healing one). Even if you do take the damage Martial Spirit and Aura of Triumph/Tyranny can heal you. Especially the latter, as they get better when you have friends.

Invader
2013-12-29, 08:24 PM
Shocking Fist can be used on any Strike that allows you to use a Slam attack (which is 99% of the Strikes in the game). Hell, if you can pull it off during your own turn, you can even use it on a Counter that allows you to use your Slam attack.

And why would you need to use a maneuver to heal? As long as you never use Shocking Fist for more than 10, you can just let Stone Power's temp HP take the hit and deal 10d4 Electricity damage (and then use some high-damage maneuver instead of a healing one). Even if you do take the damage Martial Spirit and Aura of Triumph/Tyranny can heal you. Especially the latter, as they get better when you have friends.

Because the OP was looking for a way for continuous free healing? That's the whole point of the thread? :smallconfused:

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-29, 08:48 PM
:smallsmile:
Those are all certainly interesting approaches, though in my search I did see thread you two are arguing up there, but I quickly disregarded it as it definitely wasn't what I had read.
I'm almost sure it was as simple as being healed by electric damage, and I think I saw it in a handbook of some sort... oh but I think I'll be giving up

Either way I thank all of you for taking the time to help this prematurely senile mind.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-29, 08:48 PM
Shambling mound?

Invader
2013-12-29, 08:57 PM
There's the energetic healing spell which can convert energy damage into healing but only up to 30 points at a time and it's a 5th level spell so it's not terribly effective but it would work.

Invader
2013-12-29, 09:05 PM
The mechantrix is a planetouched race from the FF that heals 1 point of damage for every 3 electric damage done to it.

Not sure how you'd swing shocking fist without being a warforged though.

Zweisteine
2013-12-29, 10:34 PM
As a mentioned, there is a Soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum) that effectively says "shocking grasp every round, have fun." That sounds close enough for the infinite healing purpose.