PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Javelin of Lightning Question

LordAshenshield
2013-12-29, 02:36 AM
Ok here is the link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/javelin-of-lightning)

Now that is a lot of money for a one time use item right? I mean yes it is nice 5d6 lightning bolt but am I wrong? I mean yes it is reduced to 750 if you have the lightning bolt spell and use the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat. But still that seems a hefty price.

Is there any way to make better use of this? Some way to make it worth that much? I always thought an endless quiver of these would be nice, or the gloves of endless javelins if these where them stuff along that line.

Is there anything out there?
(Also side note, any way to add Lightning Bolt to a Divine casters spell list?)

stack
2013-12-29, 09:28 AM
You can Ignore prerequisites like spells by adding 5 to the spellcraft dc. This doesn't work for spell trigger or spell completion items. Makes lore oracles great crafters (one revelation lets you add 20 to an int based check a certain number of times per day).

SimonMoon6
2013-12-29, 12:30 PM
Keep in mind: 5d6 is on average 17.5 damage. And at a level where you could afford a bunch of these, you can pretty much assume everybody will make their save, so count this as only 8.75 damage on average. Doing 8.75 damage once isn't worth 1500 gp to me. A wizard could just cast a spell that does the same or more damage. A fighter could hit someone for more damage. A rogue could sneak attack for more damage.

It might be okay once in a while for the area of effect if you have a swarm to deal with but I certainly wouldn't stock up on them.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-29, 03:06 PM
Exactly my point its so much money for so little damage. Even crafted yourself at 750 its WAY overpriced for what it actually gives you on average and with the assumption that half make the reflex save.

SO is there anything that can be done to make it worth it? Make an Endless Quiver of Javelin of Lightning Bolts or something I mean.
I know the Greater version is 10d6 at a 17 reflex save but that costs 3K a piece. If this was in a bundle such as a bundle of 10 for 1500 maybe it would be worth it or a bundle of 10 greaters for 3K Might be worth it but not seeing it.

Spore
2013-12-29, 03:17 PM
I think the item exists solely because of Zeus. And no, an endless quiver would be 50 (or 100?) x 750. I do not think that creating a endless supply is worth it, if you are not dishing out 3-5+ javelins per round.

But I could see someone with Haste and a decent BAB for 2 iterative attacks (and/or TWF) throwing 4 javelins/round. The DC is still laughable tho, but it's not an item for single target damage. Thinning out hordes of mooks would be easy with that (you know, the kind that die on 8 HP worth of damage, aka armies).

LordAshenshield
2013-12-29, 04:23 PM
Well the build I am working on using a Glove of Endless Javelins that are enhanced with thundering and Shocking so 2d6 per hit.

TWF (Its a set of gloves), Rapid Shot, Manyshot (PF version), Palm Thrower Trick and Two with One Blow Trick from Master Thrower PrC

Palm Thrower works exactly like Manyshot making each attack count as 2 attacks.
Two with one blow says if an enemy you target has a buddy next to him you can make a second attack roll to hit them as well (A second attack for free)
With a 10/5 BAB at level ten that is a LOT of attacks per round.

TWF, Rapid Shot, and Manyshot all work together during a full attack and Palm Thrower and Two with One Blow are tricks added to your thrown weapon attacks.

Do in another thread I ask if that would mean between 6 and 10 hits per round, or more if its an army and people are next to one another.

Now if you had the Lightning Bolts in a Quiver that allowed their withdrawl as a free action you are throwing 5d6/10d6 with a decent reflex save many times over, even against one foe its not to shabby.