PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Arret IC

Lentrax
2013-12-29, 06:06 AM
The rain stopped the night before, though that did nothing to speed your caravan along. The mud that comprised the majority of the Silver Road mired the massive wheels of your wagons, and the caravaners had to constantly walk beside the wagons to scoop muck out of the wheel so they could turn.

But, by midday you finally saw it before you, the walls of Shaerlorn. One of the largest cities in the world, Shaerlorn was a center of trade, being the connecting points for the Gold and Silver Roads, as well as being a port on the massive Copper River.

Passing through the gates leads to a minor problem. The city seems to be in some kind of near panic state. And whoever you ask, they all say the same thing.

The fire! The Fire of the Compact has gone out!

Elysian Blade
2013-12-29, 07:29 AM
Darius stands in awe of the size of the city. Forgeting all the problems he had on the road. He wonders why nobody justs relight the flame so they dont freak out.

Solophoenix
2013-12-29, 08:52 AM
Curious. A city with great respect for flame...perhaps I won't feel so foreign here after all.

Knowledge rolls for "The Fire of the Compact"

[roll0]
[roll1]

and if applicable,

[roll2]

razorback
2013-12-29, 09:10 AM
Relind drudged through the mud, making him seem much taller (at least in his own eyes) than his stature could account for, but his body ached from the toll it took.
As the floating tower came into view long before the city proper had, he remembers his last visit to the huge city, spending weeks dredging up what little information he could on Solimane, a merchant who died nearly a hundred years ago but who was purported to have acquired a magic mirror that could divine the location of objects anywhere on Arret. As far as Relind could tell, it was a myth and said item never existed.
Sighing as he passed through the edge of the walled gates, he anticipated a warm meal and even warmer bed this night. Then the hunt for Aziviel'su Luquirdigal tomb would begin.
As he passed the guards at the gate, he heard the rumbling of the Fire of the Compact being out. If it was true, it bode ill for the city. Finding the bar that most of the rumormongers frequented, he sidled up and began asking about the occurrence.
"Come man, if this is true, how fares the city? What are they doing to fix it and have they discovered who or what put it out?" he said as he quaffed down some of the bitter and sour tasting human ale.

Kn:? check to know what The Fire of the Compact is.
[roll0] or [roll1] (Trivial knowledge), +11 for history or +7 for all others

Gather info to find out what the city and wizards are doing about the fire and suspect.
[roll2]

Lentrax
2013-12-29, 11:23 AM
The city authorities are busy just trying to keep the townsfolk from getting too out of hand, and the wizards are helping to that end.

One of the wizards, however notices Prism. He waves to get your attention and calls you over. The wizard is old, with a frost white beard that flows down to his sternum, a stark contrast to the midnight black robes he wears.

"You! Sir! Please, I have need of your aid!"

Sapreaver
2013-12-29, 11:24 AM
Knowing of the fires of compact from his journey from his Journey with Erik, Prism sees the wizard gesturing to Thalmis to follow him as he moves towards the wizard to speak to him.
"What can I do to help"His voice needing raised to a deep roar to be heard over the panic.

I suppose I should roll diplomacy for this
[roll0]

Lentrax
2013-12-29, 01:37 PM
"Yes. You do look strong enough..." The wizard strokes his beard for a moment as he ponders something.

"Yes. I need you to find my apprentice. She has no idea that the fire has extinguished. And well, she is overdue. By a month. Do you think you can find her for me? I can pay, of course."

Sapreaver
2013-12-29, 02:39 PM
I am assigned duties by my Temple here I must seek permission before I leave,will you come with me to the temple? I can gather those I have traveled with and you will be able to explain more fully as we move towards the temple. If I can not assist I'm sure some of them will. Prism replies in a impartial tone.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-29, 02:42 PM
Lirae was looking eagerly about as they arrived at the city, taking in the sights, a bright smile on her face. Until she noticed the panicked crowds. So, for about three seconds after walking in.

...I'm sure it's nothing, she thought sarcastically.

She cased about, trying to find a ranking officer of the watch, someone she could offer assistance to or perhaps get some information from.

And regarding that Fire of the Compact:
Knowledge (Arcana): Taking 10 for total result of 25
Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Elysian Blade
2013-12-29, 03:34 PM
I am assigned duties by my Temple here I must seek permission before I leave,will you come with me to the temple? I can gather those I have traveled with and you will be able to explain more fully as we move towards the temple. If I can not assist I'm sure some of them will. Prism replies in a impartial tone.

Should we just do it now or wait I all for adventure I just need to grab...my...sword from the cart.

Lentrax
2013-12-29, 03:36 PM

"Please, time is of the essence." The wizard seems very agitated about something, though it seems likely this is as a result of the Fire extinguishing.

Dragodar
2013-12-29, 03:41 PM
MechanicsAs a free action, I activate my Aura of Senses. Everyone feels a little more alert.

(+1 to Listen, Spot, and Initiative for all allies within 30 feet of me.)

This is constantly active until I turn it off or until I replace it with another Aura. (Or until I go unconscious)

Dragodar, having remained silent until this point, approaches the man and speaks up.

"I will help find your apprentice," he says calmly, his voice barely audible over the roaring noise around them.

Raising his voice to a shout, he calls out to those around him, "Whoever wishes to join us, we should head somewhere safe!". Looking back down at the wizard, he asks quietly, "Do you have a place in which we could discuss this in relative peace?"

Dragodar glances up at the panicked throngs of people and looks back at the man urgently.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-29, 03:56 PM
Lirae stops looking around and heads to the group from the caravan. "Happy to help!"

Sapreaver
2013-12-29, 04:59 PM
I suppose it can't be helped, and if someone has gone missing in times like this their lives are in peril. I'll join as well

Character Overview
Dragonborn Warforged charger,
Roles Tank, Damage, Cc(in the future), mode of transportation(future (level 10ish)

theskorpionking
2013-12-29, 05:08 PM
Thorn did her best to keep up with the caravan without being seen. She was almost successful, a few of lesser beings had spotted her. But it didn't really matter to her. Once they had arrived at the gates, Thorn climbed into a tree to get a better look at what was going on. She could hear the shouts about the fire going out. "Humans." She mutters to herself.

She then sees a group detach itself from the caravan. Her curiosity go the best of her and she followed them. This could prove interesting.

Solophoenix
2013-12-29, 09:31 PM
Qing Li gazes around at the chaos and panic.

This may indeed mean war. This place seems to fit me further by the moment...

Noticing the gathering group of seemingly calmer individuals, Qing Li moves towards them, hoping to learn more of the situation.

"Greetings to you. It is nice to find others calm amongst this storm."

razorback
2013-12-30, 12:23 AM
Not able to get any information of value, Relind heads back to the caravan in time to see the old human talking to Prism, the huge draconic monstrosity that was part of the caravan he had come along with to Shaerlorn.
As another human from the caravan chimes in about helping, Relind weighs what is going on with his mission. <If some apprentice is truly in need of help, my mission can wait. Not like it hasn't been a couple of hundred years in the waiting. What's a few more days?> he thinks to himself.
"Well, I offer my services too. You say she is a month overdue? I take it she was on some expedition, research, or component gathering venture? Perhaps you can provide her name and description, along with where she may have been off to?" He says loud enough so that all that are gathered can hear.

Elysian Blade
2013-12-30, 01:49 AM
Darius smiles warmly and begins to limber up he knows he is going to need it. He replies to everyone. You have my sword but it up to you to decide how to use it.

His meaning I take and order if its well reasoned and if you have the means of command.

Lentrax
2013-12-30, 09:20 AM
Again, the wizard seems to ponder something for a moment, his gaze settling on some distant point far away, but returns to up you momentarily.

"Yes, yes, come with me, all of you." He motions you into a small squat building nearby, that seems to already be empty. As the last of you walks through the door, the wizard waves his hand at the door and it shuts behind you. Then with the same hand he makes another gesture, adding a few finger wiggles, and a muttered word, and the air around you seems to hum. At the same time, the sounds of the crowds outside dim to an almost imperceptible buzz, as thigh they are a mile off.

"One hundred years ago, we discovered the journal of a wizard from the Age of Grey. It detailed the location of his sanctum, which he claimed to be locked away from time itself. Naturally, we began to research this wizard, this Jinrech. But his writing was more than a little eccentric. He spoke of things we still do jot fully comprehend, though they all seem perfectly accurate, from a purely academic, non-traditional quasi-mandated state. But I finally solved the riddle of how to get in! But being old and having more than a few apprentices of the proper strength and age to go, I chose Ingrid to go."

"She was given every resource we believed was appropriate, and set a timeframe of one year. Time enough to find this sanctum, enter it, do a preliminary search and inventory, and return. But she was due last month. The council decided yesterday that a group should be sent to investigate on the morrow, but none of us foresaw this! We must all remain here, and thus I ask you to find Ingrid for me!"

razorback
2013-12-30, 12:24 PM
Kn:History - Age of Grey
[roll0] or [roll1] Trivial Knowledge

Kn:History - Jinrech
[roll2] or [roll3] Trivial Knowledge

Relind stroked his chin hair as he considered the wizards words.
"Do you think her disappearance and the fire are related? Also, unless I missed it, could we have your name? My name is Relind Stoneshadow, errant adventurerer, finder of lost items, and part time history teacher at the University of Ar-Keran. Pleased to meet you."

Dragodar
2013-12-30, 01:20 PM
At the wizard's words, Dragodar begins pacing the room. As the old man draws to a close, Dragodar takes a seat upon the ground with his back against the wal).

He raises a hand to his eyes and rubs them slowly. "You said that the sanctum was... What was it? 'Locked away from time itself'? So..." Dragodar pauses, as if deep in thought. "I don't claim to know all that much about the nuances of the manipulation of the dimensions of time, but couldn't this mean that, if the sanctum was indeed protected by some kind of dimensional 'time anchor', she could still be there, none the wiser?"

Dragodar glances back and forth around the room, as though seeking affirmation. He continues, "What I'm trying to say is... What if Ingrid only took a short time to find the sanctum, but because it is on an alternate timeline, she didn't realize how long she has been gone. Perhaps one month in the sanctum equals a year in our world, and she doesn't even realize how worried her friends are!"

The shaman draws his fingers through his shining silver hair and sighs deeply. "I absolutely detest time-dimensional manipulation, in all its forms," he concludes, shaking his head slightly.

theskorpionking
2013-12-30, 01:42 PM
Before she could stop herself, Thorn let out a sharp laugh. "Seen a lot of time-dimensional manipulation, have you human? What's your plan? You just going to march down there and rescue the maiden fair? You and I both know that she's probably dead." She then crosses her arms over her chest and leans against a wall, feeling quite proud of herself.

Dragodar
2013-12-30, 01:54 PM
Dragodar raises an eyebrow at Thorn's sharp words, but bites his tongue. He smiles slightly to himself, shaking his head ever so slightly. Being a half-breed, he has experienced the worst of prejudice, discrimination, and pride in others, and he has learned to control himself. She's not so bad, anyway. Probably just naïve.

Dragodar puts his hands up in a diffusive gesture. "Peace, friend," he says, chuckling quietly. "I merely meant that this task is far more difficult than I anticipated. If by 'march down there and rescue maiden fair' you meant that I expect a walk in the park, I fear you misunderstood me. If anything, I meant to imply that this task would be especially tricky. Time travel is a dangerous thing; I'm sure you know."

Dragodar gives Thorn a genuine smile, wanting to avoid any conflict. Then he pulls a small file from his belt and begins to sharpen the long, curving, silver claws that grace his fingertips, quietly whistling a cheerful tune as he does so.

After a moment, he seems to remember something and adds on, "Oh, and just so you don't have to keep calling me 'human', my name is Dragodar. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," he says, with a disarming smile.

He stands and offers his hand to Thorn. If she takes it, he shakes. If not, he shrugs and sits back down, resuming his nail filing and whistling.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-30, 02:41 PM
Eesh, missing persons case. Those were never fun. Way too stressful.

Lirae tilted her head at the other elven woman's declaration. Huh, so that's where we get the reputation from, she thought with a hint of an amused grin. "She might not be dead," Lirae suggested optimistically. "Year long mission gives you plenty of opportunity to lose a month. Maybe she, I dunno, stopped a few times to help people on the way. Or got sick and had to recover. Or the place was guarded and she's trying to find a way in. Or she got in but wasn't able to get out..." She purposefully didn't bring the alternate time stream stuff up. Less she had to think about that, the better.

"My big concern is, if it's been over a year now since she left, presumably we're looking at months of travel to get there, yeah? Not exactly going to be a swift resolution, which can be kinda important in situations like this."

She halted for a moment, then added cheerily, "Ooh, also, what's the pay like?"

Dragodar
2013-12-30, 03:10 PM
Dragodar smiles at Lirae's words. "That's quite a few good points you brought up there."

He looks around the room briefly. "Let it go on the record that I second everything she just said." He returns to filing and whistling quietly.

Lentrax
2013-12-30, 03:11 PM
'Time, as far as we were able to discern, passes at the same rate for those inside as well as out. A year for us is a year for her. But in this case, we know that something is wrong. We sent with her a talisman. An object which we could use to track her, should the plan go awry or she did not contact us. For months, she gave us constant reports. She had reported that she was preparing to leave, and then nothing. Which would have been fine, we still had the talisman, and it sent us a clear view of the inner of the sanctum while she was there. But two days ago, we attempted to scry it and... nothing. No light, no sound, nothing. As though there were no talisman to find. So we attempted to scry her. Same thing. Even were she dead, we would have some indication of that."

The wizard listens to the exchange between the elves, then answers the question.

"The payment would be dependent upon certain things, my apprentice's survival, the retrieval of the notes, and of course the acquisition of any artifacts you may recover. But I can guarantee at least 500 sovereigns each."

Dragodar
2013-12-30, 03:19 PM
Dragodar's tune turns into a long, low, drawn out whistle at the mention of the reward.

"500 is good. Especially if there isn't going to be any time travel nonsense. But the inability to scry her... That is concerning, to say the least." Dragodar bites his lower lip slightly as he gazes absently out the window, lost in thought.

"Intriguing as well, might I add," Dragodar says softly, "But concerning."

The dragon shaman passes his fingers through his long, shining hair once more, and stares at the ground in front of him, a slight frown on his face, as though he is deep in thought.

Coming out of his reverie suddenly, he pipes up, "Well, I'm in!"

Then he continues to file his claws. The whistling has stopped, however, and the frown of deep thought has returned.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-30, 04:00 PM
Lirae nodded. That answered what was going to be her next question - had they had any contact with her. "Taken all together, that suggests capture, to me," she said. "Hmm...do you know of anyone else with an interest in the sanctum?"

"This is purely a theory, mind, but here's the vibe I'm getting. Our girl Ingrid heads to the sanctum. You mentioned finding it in the time allotted, so I'm assuming you didn't know its precise location. She gets there though, fair enough, goes in, does her inventory. What she doesn't know, is she's not wholly alone. Maybe she's been followed, maybe there are folks waiting nearby who know where it is but not how to get in...whatever. Point is, there are people who want in but can't, and have a means of knowing she entered. They can't get in themselves though, maybe once she unsealed it it locked behind her until she was ready to leave, or the answer to the riddle's some sort of object or key or something that they still don't have. Regardless, they wait, and when she comes out, grab her, take her to some location warded against scrying or divinations or whatever, and are presumably now trying to get the answer to the riddle or whatever out of her."

"Now, if all those admittedly entirely off-the-cuff assumptions are anything even vaguely resembling accurate, we have two potential suspect pools. One is 'some other group we haven't heard of who by means unknown were aware of the mission and its status'. Which...wouldn't be good. The other one is 'a mole here, someone in the loop enough to know about the mission and possibly its current status, but not enough to know such key details as the answer to the riddle.' You know of anyone who fits that description?"

razorback
2013-12-30, 04:10 PM
Relind nods to Lirae. "It strikes me the same way. Someone, probably a magician, was able to detain her and throw up a field that defeats any attempts to divine what is going on. It looks like we will be the cavalry." he tries to sound cheerful for the old man but had his doubts if Ingrid would be whole or sane when they found her. It really depends on the information her captives would need from her.

Sapreaver
2013-12-30, 04:24 PM
Moving his large body to a wall and leaning against it. you tried scrying the talisman but if you know where the sanctum did you try scrying outside the entrance? This would give all of us an idea on if the entrance is dramatically different from what you seen before.prism speaks aloud in a calm voice

Solophoenix
2013-12-30, 06:37 PM
Qing Li does her best to speak clearly, and at a reasonable pace, so that her Drelan accent may be more easily understood.

"Can you be sure of Ingrid's absolute loyalty? A year is a long time for someone to change their priorities, and the discovery of some item or items of arcane power may have tempted her into an independent venture. As an apprentice of the arcane arts, she could easily be familiar with methods to defeat divination magic, should she not want to be found."

"In any case, I should like to venture to the sanctum. My name is Qing Li, by the way. I am a wandering scholar and warrior."

Dragodar
2013-12-30, 07:02 PM
Dragodar blows sharply on his claws, ridding them of the filings, and inspects them closely. Satisfied, he stands and replaces the file in his belt.

Looking up, he addresses the room. "These are all very acute theories, and any number of them could be true. It seems to me that the only way to be certain is to investigate! That is what we're getting paid for, no?"

He smiles and lets out a short bark of laughter before returning to a more somber disposition.

"In all seriousness though, unless there is anything more that we will need, I vote we start as soon as possible. Any event that has an entire city in this kind of uproar is a big deal, and if Ingrid's absence is at all linked to the Fire's being extinguished, I suppose it's as good a place to start as any."

Dragodar looks around the room, waiting for any kind of response. His piercing blue eyes, curious and anticipatory, linger upon the wizard.

Sapreaver
2013-12-30, 11:30 PM
I agree with Dragodar we should depart thusly, what is the last known location of the sanctum and will you be assisting with transport there?Prism inquires as he stands up from the wall, appearing as eager to go as his metal body can muster.(Not very much at all).

Lentrax
2013-12-31, 12:52 AM
"I can teleport you to the sanctum, but there is a chance for drift of up to 50 miles. Once you are there you will have to find the sanctum on your own. As for its exact location, it is hidden amongst the mountains there. The on,y solid clue from the journal is that, it is 'deep where the earth flows, touched by neither water nor light.' Beyond that I can do little to help, as we will be raising the barriers soon.

"Which, in turn means that I will not be able to teleport you back. Today Shaerlorn is in preparation for war. So once you are there, you are on your own. Are you prepared?"

Dragodar
2013-12-31, 01:31 AM
Dragodar grimaces. "That is unfortunate indeed," he says. "But it is what it is and I suppose that cannot be helped. If you have given us all the information we need, I am ready to begin."

He tightens the straps on his armor and feels for the morningstar on his back, making sure it is positioned to his liking. He pulls his fingerless gloves tightly onto his hands and then stands, arms folded, in wait.

Elysian Blade
2013-12-31, 01:47 AM
Darius not quite understand the situation only focuses on certain words. Maiden/danger/Rescue. He smiles his silver eyes getting brighter if thats even possible. He says this to the elder "Sir my name is Darius I accept the quest and will start as soon as you can get the warp ready. I just need my sw- my umm... gear."

Darius leaves the come back in moments later with a large bundle of cloth about 14 feet long and 20 inches wide. I ready to go now Sir. he finished by tying his "gear " on his back along with a somewhat large shield.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-31, 02:29 AM
"Ready when you are," Lirae agreed.

Lentrax
2013-12-31, 08:35 AM
The wizard looks over all of you. "Are you all prepared? Good. Now, wait just a moment... Good luck."

The world pops out of being for an eyeblink. Then it returns, and you are no longer where you were. Instead you are surrounded by forests. The air is drier than it was in Shaerlorn, and you think you hear a river flowing tpo the south. But the trees are so densely packed that you aren't entirely sure where you are.

And neither of your elven companions recognize this stretch of forest. It is just as foreign to them as it is to the rest of you.

Solophoenix
2013-12-31, 09:44 AM
An interesting sensation, I shall make a note of that...

This was the first time Qing Li had travelled such a long distance by teleportation, and for a moment she concentrates on remembering all the details, before gazing around at the point of arrival. The breath she had taken back in the city leaves her lungs to be replaced by the altogether more agreeable air of the forest.

What a pleasure it is to be back among the wilds...though I would have liked more information about our task. I have trouble believing that Ingrid was in communication with our evasive friend back there, and never bothered to tell him the specifics of how to locate the sanctum...nevermind his not answering about Ingrid's loyalty, potential enemies, or even his name...

Turning to face the rest of the group, she enquires,

"Well, here we are, wherever here may be. Might any of you be particularly skilled in locating the nearest settlement? I must confess my most developed plan at this point is to find the river, follow it, and hope."

razorback
2013-12-31, 10:25 AM
Fighting off the queasiness that the magic caused his stomach, Relind takes a moment to regain his sense. As he looks around, he tries to remember if he has ever been in this stretch of the world.

"Wish we know how far off we really are. Also wish I had a little more time spent in preparation, but so is the life of an adventurer I suppose. As far as finding our way about, I have some small skill in the matter." Looking at Thorn, he continues "You elves seem to have a natural inclination towards these woodsy areas. Perhaps we can take a moment to discuss this?"

Aid another in Survival
[roll0]

theskorpionking
2013-12-31, 10:34 AM
Thorn should have been grateful to be back in the forest, except this forest wasn't familiar to her. And to make matters worse one of the humans spoke. She turned to look at it, "Follow the river? That's your plan? I have a better one. Why don't I get out my magic stone of locating nearby settlements and have it help us. Fool." She turned to address the gnome. "We elves only have inclinations when we are familiar with our surroundings. And I hate to admit it, but even I'm not really sure where we are."

Sapreaver
2013-12-31, 10:48 AM
Prism looks around at the group and the trees before speaking aloud deep voice appearing louder in the quiet of the forest

We should attempted to get our bearing, anyone capable of climbing to the tree tops should do so. This will let us know roughly how far we have to travel to reach the river and give us an idea of whether there are settlements with in a few miles.

Solophoenix
2013-12-31, 11:15 AM
Qing Li addresses Thorn.

"Madam, I make no claims as to the quality of my plan. Indeed, I thought I had conveyed that. Alas, I am still unfamiliar with this dialect. I apologise for the confusion. Your stone sounds a most useful object, I shall trust in your determinations."

theskorpionking
2013-12-31, 11:27 AM
Thorn placed her hands on her hips and arched an eyebrow as she looked at Qing Li. "You are a bigger fool than I thought! Are all human this dense or is it just you? I have no such stone. Honestly!" Thorn knew that what she had said was uncalled for, even for her. She just didn't want to admit that following the river was most likely their best bet. Even the mechanical beast's idea was sound.

Solophoenix
2013-12-31, 11:59 AM
Qing Li looks somewhat dismayed.

I have caused confusion again somehow...

Seizing on something she definitely understands, she replies,

"Ah! My density can be determined if we head to the river! You see, with a known weight, we need only measure the quantity of water displaced by my immersion, and we can determine my density...though I don't see how that will help...but I happily defer to your superior knowledge on the subject of navigation."

Dragodar
2013-12-31, 12:03 PM
"Peace, woman!" Dragodar cries. Even with his patience, he is a little shocked by Thorn's aggression. "We are all on the same side here, and you may find very soon that we will be depending upon one another for our very lives. You'd best set aside whatever grudge you have with us, and you'd best do it now."

The dragon shaman's voice rings with authority in the quiet clearing. After a brief moment of silence, he continues, addressing the entire group now rather than Thorn alone.

"Before we go any further, I think it would be wise to establish some organization amongst ourselves, lest in our chaos and disorder we all end up killed. We need a marching order, and someone to act as some kind of leader of this expedition.

"An unspoken agreement to cede authority to a single member of our party will speed things along. Of course, we will all still be able to present our opinions democratically, but having someone to make a final say will help immensely."

Dragodar pauses and looks around at his fellows.

theskorpionking
2013-12-31, 12:21 PM
Thorn had started laughing. Not a mocking laugh, but a laugh full of mirth. And she wasn't laughing at the dragon shaman She was laughing at the joke that the human had made, whether the human had know she made a joke wasn't clear to Thorn. "Yes, human. That is one way to test your density."

She then turned her attention towards the dragon shaman. "And I suppose you mean to lead us in this little endeavor? Or would you defer it to someone else? Perhaps someone with more skill?"

Sapreaver
2013-12-31, 12:26 PM
Prism looks towards Dragodar and nods in agreement as he begins to speak
I agree, I'm in a way new to this world and doubt I would make a great leader, I will assist as needed to whoever requires. I will stand guard dutifully each night we camp in this wilderness.
turning his head now to Qing Li I wonder why she wants to know how dense you are

Dragodar
2013-12-31, 12:35 PM
Dragodar shakes his head, feeling nothig but pity for the elf now."You are determined to see the worst in everyone, my friend," he says.

What a sad existence that must be... he thinks to himself.

He continues: "I would not presume to place myself in power over my fellows. I would gladly follow another, more capable than myself. But if our companions ask me to lead, I will dutifully serve them in that task."

Looking around at the group, he addresses them all. "I do have experience leading these kinds of expeditions, and I am skilled at conversing with potentially hostile strangers. I offer my service if you will have it, but if you choose another I will follow him unto death or victory."

Having said his piece, Dragodar stands down, and awaits response.

Solophoenix
2013-12-31, 01:17 PM
"My areas of expertise are battle, and the arcane. Until we reach the sanctum I am happy to trust in the abilities of another to lead us."

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-31, 01:19 PM
Frankly, following the river was more a plan than Lirae had. Elf or no elf, she was a city girl born and raised. She not only didn't recognize the place, but immediately looked mildly uncomfortable in the wide open wilderness.

After listening to the discussion for a bit, she chimed in, "We aren't looking for a settlement though, are we? Sanctum is hidden in the mountains. Either way, I'll second 'getting up real high and figuring out what's around us' as a good plan of action."

She didn't volunteer to do the climbing herself. Again: City girl. She hadn't climbed a tree in her life. Had a spell for it if it really came down to it, but burning one of her strongest spells on emulating the capability of a fit teenager didn't sound like a particularly practical use of magic.

She didn't make a claim on leadership either. She considered herself more of an advisor.

theskorpionking
2013-12-31, 01:31 PM
Thorn looked at the other elf and wondered why she would look so scared. Perhaps she would ask when there was time. Besides, she was tired of all the talking. She walked over to the nearest tree and began climbing it.

Climb: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
and if needed, spot: [roll2]

Solophoenix
2013-12-31, 01:33 PM
"I feel that a settlement will at least allow us to establish our location with some degree of certainty, as well as providing a base of local knowledge to use in our search.

From what the wizard told us, we know the sanctum to be underground, near molten rock. That gives us two possibilities, either the sanctum is buried extremely deep beneath the ground, or there is some area not unlike a volcano nearby. In the first instance, the search will be arduous and long, and a settlement will make a fine base for us to operate from. In the second, no doubt the residents will be able to direct us to the area of volcanic activity."

Dragodar
2013-12-31, 01:37 PM
Dragodar sighs, pulls his gloves tighter, and looks around for a good tree. Finding a tall one, he says "Give me just a moment."

He leaps up to the lowest branch, and within seconds he is scrambling through the foliage. He seems to run up the trunk, almost like a squirrel, his long claws providing firm grip in the soft bark.

Climb Check[roll0]

Within seconds, he is at the top, gazing around in search.

EDIT:OOCThat roll should be 1d20+8, because of the +2 Climb bonus from my Claws. Can we call the result a 22 or do you want me to reroll?

Dragodar
2013-12-31, 01:42 PM
OOCJust wanted to be sure I didn't drastically fail on that Climb check before i posted a follow up ;p

Dragodar gazes around at the scenery, searching for some kind of landmark or clue as to their whereabouts. He stands at the very top of the tree, upon branches that almost look too thin to hold his weight. He sways in the breeze but keeps his balance as he shades his eyes with one hand, searching the countryside.

Perception ChecksSpot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search [roll2]

Actually 12, 8, and 19 because of my Aura.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-31, 02:03 PM
"Ahh," Lirae said with a sage nod when Qing explained the reasoning. "That makes sense, thanks!"

Sapreaver
2013-12-31, 02:42 PM
Prism watches as the others climb trees glowing eyes focused on the lithe movements. if they don't find anything I'm for settin up a camp so we can get our bearings and have a safe place to return.

razorback
2013-12-31, 06:30 PM
Relind stands back a bit, surprisingly in a little bit of shock at the turn of events that are transpiring. Smiling, he looks at the others.

"I, too, agree that Dragodar's idea has merit. While I have some small skill in directing people, my strength lies more in finding things that do not want to be found. Perhaps someone of even temperament and good judgement is the way to go in a leader for our party?"

Sapreaver
2013-12-31, 06:54 PM
Prism lets out a deep roar of laughter at Relind's remarks before speaking aloud to the group that is present. I could take leadership of our group for the time being, I do not eat or sleep so I'll have plenty of time to plan our next move. Only if the group is okay with it his loud voice reverberating on the near by trees. if anyone has knowledge of the stars if we do not find anything near by I leave it to you to give us a rough idea of where we are.

Lentrax
2014-01-01, 01:17 AM
As Thorn reaches the treetops, she sees mountains rising from the earth to the south. There is a haze obscuring your view of the mountaintops. The river is miles off, and is wide enough that you can see the clear path of the banks from your vantage point. There do not seem to be any settlements nearby.

Listen checks.

Dragodar
2014-01-01, 01:45 AM
OOCSo i assume i see the same thing as thorn then? I had a better search check, but i'm guessing from your post that that didn't make a difference.

Listen check: [roll0]

Solophoenix
2014-01-01, 09:19 AM
[roll0]
Some text to get me up to the character limit.

razorback
2014-01-01, 11:39 AM
Listen check for Relind
[roll0]

Dragodar
2014-01-01, 04:17 PM
Dragodar scampers down the tree as quickly as he can. As he comes back down, he emanates a distinct sense of urgency and you notice a very concerned look upon his features.

"Enough talk. We have to move. A large group of particularly huge creatures is crashing through the forest, knocking down trees along their way. They sound angry, and I'm fairly certain they're headed right for us."

Dragodar quickly straps his morningstar to his back and prepares to move out.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-01, 07:31 PM
Darius says I dont mind being the leader for this misson my father trained me since the day I could walk and talk. But for the tree I need someone to grab onto me as I climb because I am not the best when it comes to seing to far.

OOC
Anytakers? :smallconfused:

Sapreaver
2014-01-01, 07:32 PM
Which way are they coming from? Can we set up an ambush? prism eagerly asks dragodar, a faint opalescent glow coming from his chest.

razorback
2014-01-01, 08:35 PM
"Well, we don't know if, whatever made that ruckus, is hostile. That being said, it pays to be cautious. I suggest those of us who can hide do so. Those who choose not to should probably spread out a bit so as to not allow yourselves to be trapped." Relind says while looking pointedly at Darius, Dragodar, and Prism as he moves to hide behind a tree with a small bush next to it, taking out his bow as he does.
"Of course, keep in mind that whatever it is could be helpful, so hold your fire until they are going to be hostile as opposed to shooting the first thing you see, is my suggestion." With that the gnome seems to disappear from view.

Hide
[roll0]
Move Silently
[roll1]
Listen
[roll2]
Spot
[roll3]

Dragodar
2014-01-01, 08:58 PM
"They're coming from the direction of the river," Dragodar answers the warforged, pointing in that direction. "They sound dangerous and agitated. Whatever these beasts are, they're aggresive."

The dragon shaman looks at the gnome and addresses him: "Do what you will, friend. But I entreat you to make haste with us."

Dragodr then looks to the knight. "Darius? What do you think?". He looks expectantly at the other human. "They're still a ways off, but they get closer by the second. Whatever they are, they're on some kind of warpath, and they're grunting and hollering like mad ."

Sapreaver
2014-01-01, 11:54 PM
Does anyone have knowledge of what these might be? Prism asks looking towards the elves in the group.If we do not know then we should try to avoid and observe. If they are indeed tearing trees out of the ground. I will retreat with Dragodar if we have no idea of the creatures coming Prism continues on as he moves towards the center of the group ready to flee or fight.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-02, 02:12 AM
Yeah, big, beasty, and angry. Lirae did not need to be told twice that it was time to move. She went for cover, following the group if they withdrew.

Taking 10 on both Hide and Move Silently for total results of 22.

Lentrax
2014-01-02, 02:46 AM
The sounds grow closer. More trees collapse as the growling, snarling beast approach your location. The first thing you see are herds of deer and smaller animals running for their lives. One scared rabbit is snagged on a low hanging branch and desperately kicks hopelessly at the air until a deer leaping through the woods breaks off the branch in its own hurried flight.

Not long after them, come the reason for this panicked chase.

Huge bestial limbs rip apart smaller trees, tear dead branches from others, and hoot and holler as they make their way through the area.

Apes. Huge hulking beast of apes, each of them as large as one room houses, tear through the forest after their prey.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Four of the beasts stop, noses twitching as they smell foreign scents. Then they scream loudly, a challenge for dominance.

Initiatives please.

theskorpionking
2014-01-02, 03:51 AM
After hearing the sounds, Thorn quickly descends from the tree and stands with the others.

Int.: [roll0]

Really! A nat. one on an initiative roll. This is gonna be awesome.

Dragodar
2014-01-02, 09:55 AM
"Too late," Dragodar says, drawing his massive longbow in preparation. "Looks like we'll have to fight this one out," he mutters with a sigh.

Initiative[roll0]

OOCEveryone remember your +1 initiative from my Aura!

Solophoenix
2014-01-02, 10:24 AM
"Ah, the unrivalled peace and serenity of the wilderness...

Qing Li smiles as she prepares to do what she does best.

I imagine this will show us who the leaders amongst us are, far better than talk, at any rate.

[roll0]

And a Knowledge roll to identify the apes, and determine my Knowledge Devotion bonuses.

[roll1]

Sapreaver
2014-01-02, 12:40 PM
[roll0] +2 dex + 1 dragodar's aura

Sapreaver
2014-01-02, 12:46 PM
Sorry messed up on my last post.

Prism draws his great axe and stands ready to fight. A bright opalescent glow emanating from his chest now.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-02, 03:31 PM
Darius looks at dragodar and says to everyone. Anyone with a bow or longrange weapons hide in the trees or surrounding brush for a flank when whatever it is comes anyone who can heal move behind me and any front liners we have. Darius breaks one of the clips on his "gear" and swings it around till the cloth comes off revealing a long ten foot blade by a foot in a half wide made of adamatine. He get ready raising his sword in both of his hands towards where everyone is informing him of the incoming enemies.

Darius then says this I Darius who have been born of the house Alarx son of Tellious shall be your foe may the strongest of us win.

razorback
2014-01-03, 06:52 AM
Relind, after retreating behind the bush, nocks an arrow and draws, holding until the apes move into a position from which he can strike with maximum efficiency.

Relind
AC ~20; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 52; Current ~52

Free Action
Knowledge:Nature to identify apes and use Knowledge Devotion
[roll0] or [roll1]; reroll from Trivial Knowledge & +5 from Collector of Stories

Check Result Bonus Granted
15 or below +1
16—25 +2
26—30 +3
31—35 +4
36 or higher +5

Standard Action
Delay until either the nearest ape is within 30' of Relind or they move into striking range of one of his companions.
If within 30', he expends 1 inspiration point to get +1d6 sneak attack.

[roll2]

Crit Conf

[roll3]

Damage

[roll4] + [roll5] + 3 bonus damage of knowledge devotion

Effects ~
Inspiration Points - (3) 2
+1 to initiative from Dragodar's aura

theskorpionking
2014-01-03, 09:45 AM
Thorn doesn't argue with the knight as she retreats, pulling out her longbow and nocking an arrow.

Dragodar
2014-01-03, 05:08 PM
Dragodar chuckles good naturedly to himself. Hide from apes... In a tree? he thinks.

I'll pass. The dragon shaman takes cover behind the nearest boulder that is large enough to shield him from view and nocks an arrow upon the thick string of his massive longbow.

Then he releases his healing energy.

OOCI activate Aura of Vigor. (Heals 1 HP per round on all allies within 30 feet of me, up to half their full HP)

Dragodar
2014-01-05, 02:09 PM
Dragodar crouches in wait behind the rock and, when the moment is right, stands and, in one fluid motion, fires an arrow at the nearest ape.

Lentrax
2014-01-05, 02:47 PM
Everyone scrambles for cover, bows are drawn, and the first arrow is away before any of you could blink.

With a roar and a bellow, the apes continue their roaring charge, one of them with the shaft of an arrow billowing from their chest.

Sapreaver
2014-01-05, 06:27 PM
Prism hurriedly moves nearer the apes lining them up as he moves, The opalescent glow in his chest reflecting magnificently on his armour.

He opens his mouth widely and all at once the light in his chest coalesces from his mouth in an opalescent beam that leaves an acrid scent in the air.

Attack! Prism shouts loudly.

Lentrax
2014-01-07, 01:42 PM
As the chromatic beam bursts into life, it catches the ape across its arm, the chaotic bouncing of its charge keeping it from taking the full brunt of the attack. The ape bellows its challenge as it continues to lope across the forest floor toward.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-07, 09:35 PM
Darius charges one of the apes wielding his sword expertly swing his blade with awe inspiring force at the ape.

I let lentrax decide what happens :smallcool:

Darius places himself between the ape and his teamates trying to get all the apes to focus on himself.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-07, 09:49 PM
As the apes burst through the trees, Lirae took an instinctive step back. She was two words into an invisibility spell before she stopped herself. She wasn't the only one here, and turning invisible would be of no help to her allies.

That said, denying the animals the benefits of sight was certainly on the right track. Her voice rose in a melodic incantation, and thousands of brilliant motes of shining golden dust exploded around two of the apes.

Once the spell was cast, she took cover behind a tree and drew her longbow.

Standard: Cast Glitterdust...probably centered on N:O 7:8, to affect Ape2 and Ape3. Pretty sure no one moved such that they'd be in that area, but if they have, priority is basically hitting two apes and no PCs. Since I believe the apes are still flat-footed, it's a DC 21 Will save vs. Blindness for four rounds.

Move: Move into G16 while drawing longbow.

Current Spells: 6/8/4.

Lentrax
2014-01-08, 09:28 AM
The giant blade connects with the top of the ape's skull. But instead of jarring to a halt after an inch or two of penetration, the blade kept falling, rending the skull neck and most of the torso of the ape in two.

The forest shimmers for a moment, and two of the remaining apes stumble for a moment, and start blinking, trying to regain their vision from the sudden light. The apes continue their stumble and continue past Prism.

Prism may make an AoO against the ape of his choice.
Razorback, your readied action triggers.

Sapreaver
2014-01-08, 10:45 AM
As the apes approach they get a little bit too close and Prism leans forward his large metallic body making a slight grinding sound as his bulk shifts. As he leans forward his mouth opens widely and than clamps down and the Ape that still smells slightly acrid.

Solophoenix
2014-01-08, 11:11 AM
Qing Li dashes out into a position where she can clearly see the unblinded ape, readying her longbow. Sliding to a halt, she launches a screeching arrow, tracking its path as it ignites.

Move Action: Moving to D6, drawing Longbow as part of movement.
Standard Action: Attacking Ape1
[roll0]
[roll1] +1 Fire, DC15 Reflex or catch fire.
EDIT: Forgot my Knowledge Devotion bonus, +3 to attack and damage.

Sapreaver
2014-01-08, 11:48 AM
Noticing the apes aren't large enough to tear up trees, and that the ape didn't attack him. Prism shouts loudly Be wary! I don't think these are what made all the animals run!

theskorpionking
2014-01-08, 12:55 PM
A smile forms on Thorn's face as she brings her bow up to target the closest ape creature.

Aiming for ape 3. [roll0]
and if it's a hit, damage: [roll1]

Elysian Blade
2014-01-08, 05:23 PM
Darius hearing Prism words decides to quickly finish off the apes for a bigger fight to come.

Lentrax
2014-01-09, 01:34 AM
Arrows fly through the air, impacting with soft whumps as they strike home. Then there is a small whoosh as one of the arrows ignites the fur of the ape. The ape already blinded begins to scream, the sound very unnerving to the humans who hear something all too familiar in it. The fourth ape turns and begins to flee back into the trees, branches torn from their trunks as the force of the apes swing rips them from trunks.

The forest grows unnaturally quiet as the apes screams finally fade away.

100 XP for everyone.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-09, 02:56 AM
Lirae turned her gaze to Prism. "So...you were saying something about there definitely not being something bigger coming, right?" she asked with certainly-not-more-than-half-feigned cheer.

razorback
2014-01-09, 08:46 AM
"Something isn't right. I don't think apes would have willing gone on some kind of rampage like that. It's as if something spooked them, either intentionally or on purpose. Either way, I suggest we keep alert moving forward." With his off hand Relind removes his hat and wipes his brow before setting it back on his head.
"Speaking of which, have we decided which way is forward?"

theskorpionking
2014-01-09, 09:20 AM
The adrenaline rush had faded, the battle was over. Thorn was impressed by the knight. When she heard someone say something about moving she said, "There are mountains to the south of here. The river seems to be a few miles off in the same direction. I say we make for the mountains, since that seems to be where the human was last know to be."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-09, 11:24 AM
Good plan I suggest for moving forward we place the archers in the middle and any the rest take front I hold off the back by my self just in case whatever spooked them comes up I can grant you time to flee. Darius says placing himself where he told you he was going to be keeping his sword out.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-09, 01:02 PM
"Grant you time to flee." Lirae's blood went a bit cold at those words, and the implication that came with them. She gave Darius a concerned look, but obligingly fell into step shortly ahead of him, bow in hand.

Dragodar
2014-01-09, 02:05 PM
Dragodar falls in step next to Darius.

"I'll help bring up the rear, friend," Dragodar says quietly to Darius. "You and are alike, I think, in our ability to fend off enemies. If the group needs it, I'll help protect them."

Dragodar walks a few steps ahead of Darius. Glancing back at the knight, Dragodar nods to Darius' authority: "Unless of course, you really think it would be better for me to take the front."

Solophoenix
2014-01-09, 02:32 PM
Qing Li looks on with unease filling her as the ape screams fade.

"I have never liked to kill animals. You can never be absolutely sure of their intent to kill you...not until it is too late, at least."

She re-slings her bow, and draws a small piece of leather from her belt pouch. Focusing her energy, she gently incants and flicks her hand in a precise motion. With satisfaction, she feels the hint of her invisible armour's presence.

It was foolish to have been caught off guard, it should not happen again.

Her preparations complete, she falls into step with the others, taking up position beside Lirae. Taking a chance, she begins in Draconic.

<As an arcanist I assume you understand this tongue? I feel it would be best for the precise nature of our art, given my difficulties with the local Common. Your spell was most impressive. Where did you study?>

Cast Mage Armor, boosted by Caster's Gloves, 6 hour duration.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-09, 02:54 PM
"Thanks! My dad taught us. Me and my brother and sister, I mean." Lirae replied, though in common, self-conscious about the rest of the party and not wanting them to think they were being all secretive or something.

Solophoenix
2014-01-09, 03:15 PM
Qing Li's mind immediately darts back to her own family, and her expression loses some of the good will it had a moment ago.

<I must confess I envy your upbringing. My own father never approved of my doing anything outside of growing up to be meek and agreeable. Indeed, my studies of the arcane came in the monastery I sheltered in after fleeing my home.>

Recovering herself a little, she goes on.

<In which areas of the mystic arts do you place the most focus?>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-09, 03:45 PM
Lirae gave her a look of sympathy and...not small amount of surprise. She traveled a fair bit, sure, but the idea of actually leaving her home and family with no intention of ever going back...yep, didn't want to think about it. "Yeah I saw your arrow go all fiery, I wasn't sure if that was you or an enchantment on the bow or something. I've always been good at the subtle stuff, myself. Manipulating the mind and senses, primarily. A bit of flash and fanfare, too, like the Glitterdust. But not really anything like...large-scale energy or matter invocations or manipulations. My brother was good with the matter stuff, and my sister with the energy, but I never really got it. My dad was a full-fledged wizard though, so he knew pretty much all of it, which was helpful. What about you?"

Dragodar
2014-01-09, 03:59 PM
Dragodar, walking a few steps behind the elf and human girls, can't help but overhear the conversation going on in his beloved Draconic language, and he interjects in the same tongue.

"I agree," he says to Qing-Li. "Killing is always unfortunate. Even the smallest creature shares in the same life force that we do. Taking life from any living creature should always be a last resort."

Looking to Lirae, he smiles and says, "Fanfare and wonder are great in their own right, but often it is your subtle art of whispering ideas and bending the minds of others that ends up starting wars or toppling nations.

Do not sell your talents short, my friend. Your magic is potentially the most powerful kind."

MechanicsIf anyone is below half HP, activate Aura of Vigor. Otherwise, maintain Aura of Senses.

Solophoenix
2014-01-09, 04:21 PM
<The arrow, in fact, was purely a clever alchemical effect.>

Qing Li draws a dragonsbreath arrow from her quiver and hands it to Lirae for examination.

<My people place a lot of value in the nature of fire, and for all their many faults, they have my agreement on this subject. Though in my magic, I also keep the "flash and fanfare" to a minimum. My arcane studies have focused mainly on improving my own abilities as a warrior, I seem to have a particular talent with the school of transmutation. I have never felt wholly at ease with the notion of magically manipulating the minds of others, yet in the past I have justified the telling of lies to protect myself, so do not think I judge you for your talents. My people regard the undead with unparalleled revulsion, necromancy is known only to those who seek it out in dark and unappealing places, and I do not count myself among their number.>

Dragonsbreath arrows are on page 164 of Races of the Wild

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-09, 05:04 PM
Lirae took the arrow (carefully), examining it briefly before handing it back. "Cool. And yeah, it can be...kinda scary stuff sometimes. But don't worry, I promise to use my powers only for good!"

"Well, and fun. Everybody likes fun."

"And occasionally profit..."

"So um. Yeah. Necromancy. Not a big fan of that stuff either. Nope nope."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-09, 05:10 PM
At Lirae's words he felt as if he did something wrong but he just nodded at her hoping she understands.

Darius nods at Dragodar I would like it if your in front just in case we get attacked from that side we can fend both sides off. He lowers his voice and just in case the group will be needing someone else if the foe is able to overcome me they will need help getting away.

Solophoenix
2014-01-09, 05:15 PM
Qing Li accept the arrow and replies.

<Necromancy is perhaps the school least well understood. It suffers greatly in the mind of the layperson due to the association with undead. While it is certainly true that it can be used in such a way, it has other aspects. It too can be used to manipulate the minds of others, primarily through inducing fear. And through careful manipulation of life forces, one can weaken the enemy, and strengthen oneself.

Dragodar
2014-01-09, 05:30 PM
Dragodar nods at Darius. "Indeed," he replies. The dragon shaman heads to the front of the group, jogging quickly to make it up the to the head of the party. From there, he continues walking, keeping an eye out for anything dangerous or suspicious.

theskorpionking
2014-01-10, 11:55 AM
Thorn takes her place in the group. She listens to the babble of the human and the other elf. Magic isn't all it's made to be she thinks to herself.

Once the conversation lulls she moves next to the other elf. She looks at Lirae and then she begins speaking in elvish, not caring of any of the others understands what is being said. <It is nice to see another gray elf. It's been months since I've last had contact with any of my people.> She smiles, <I am Thorn of the Grey Woods. I also couldn't help but notice that you seemed a little tense when we first arrived here. I will admit that I too felt a little...out of sorts, but you...you looked as if you didn't belong. Why is that?>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-10, 01:27 PM
Lirae gave a bright smile at the greeting, and then a light laugh when asked why she was uncomfortable. She opened her mouth to respond, again in common, but then realized it might be annoying to people who didn't speak elvish to be understanding only half the conversation, whereas if it were just in elvish they could ignore the whole thing. So she was about to respond in elvish when she thought that that would be kind of insulting to Qing, after having replied to her in common. The conflict delayed her response for several seconds, and for a moment she considered just pretending not to understand the elvish at all, before dismissing the idea as ludicrous. And now the delay was just getting awkward and oh gods just spit something out already!

"Um."

Wow I'm good...

She finally went with common, "I mean, no real reason. I just try to limit my contact with the actual, ya know, wilderness. It has bugs, you see. And there aren't any signs or roads so you don't know where you're going. I also have it on good authority that you sometimes get attacked by apes and/or giant monsters that may or may not be chasing apes, so there's that." She finished with a shrug.

theskorpionking
2014-01-10, 01:38 PM
Thorn raises an eyebrow at the response. Then in common she says, "Oh. You're one of those city elves then." She made it a statement, a rather rude statement, and not a question.

Lentrax
2014-01-10, 01:56 PM
As you head towards the mountains, the eerie quiet of the forest continues. The ground gradually begins to rise as you move along, passing up into the foothills. After about an hour of walking you come across the river.

The river is immense, at least fifty feet wide, and unless you feel like wading out into the swiftly moving currents, you cannot tell how deep it is.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-10, 03:37 PM
Lirae just eyed the river askance, as if its presence was some personal affront. She mentally chalked up "inconveniently placed water" as another excellent addition to the list of reasons she liked being a "city elf".

"So um...we're going around, then?" she asked. "'Cause I mean, I'd love to say I have some clever magic that can just get us past this, but rivers, unfortunately, are notoriously resistant to mind control. And rumored to be impervious to all forms of illusion."

Dragodar
2014-01-10, 04:36 PM
"Unless someone has a way to cross it, I say we head upriver and look for a narrower point. It's just too wide here," Dragodar says with a small sigh.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-10, 05:46 PM
Darius Starts to take of his armor and says Lets go right across someone give me a rope and hold on to it I will swim across And tie it onto a tree we will use that to get across. He says waiting for someone to hand him a rope or for something long enough to cross.

Solophoenix
2014-01-10, 07:02 PM
Qing Li eyes Darius curiously, turning to the others,

"I can fly across with minimal expenditure of magic, but I only have 50ft of rope. Would anyone care to lend me some more?"

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-10, 07:07 PM
Lirae gathered her rope from her pack, looking between the two. "I've got some."

Solophoenix
2014-01-10, 07:23 PM
Qing Li rouses out her own silk rope, and moves over to Lirae so that they may be bound together.

Taking 10 on Use Rope to splice the ropes together, for a result of 15

"If one of the talented climbers would be so kind as to secure one end of this to the tree nearest the river, fairly high up to allow for some sag, leaving enough rope free to hang down to the ground, so the less skilled may easily reach it, I will do the same at the other end."

Qing Li begins coiling the rope over her shoulder, ready to lay it out as she moves.

If nobody objects, Qing Li will move to the riverbank, and activate Immediate Magic: Sudden Shift to gain a 30ft fly speed. She will double move to fly across the river, feeding out rope as she goes. Once on the other side, she will use Sudden Shift again to get to a good spot in a nearby tree, and take 10 to secure her end of the rope, for another 15.

Dragodar
2014-01-10, 07:32 PM
Dragodar takes the other end of the rope and climbs up a nearby tree, tying the rope securely about ten feet up.

Mechanics
Take 20 on Climb: 28
Take 20 on Use Rope 25

The dragon shaman takes his time to ensure a properly secured knot, and then swings down from the branches and lands lightly upon the ground.

"All done."

Solophoenix
2014-01-10, 07:38 PM
Qing Li finishes securing her end of the rope, pulling it as taut as her strength will allow. She takes hold of the trailing end and slides down it to the base of the tree. She calls across the river, as loud as she can to make herself audible over the river.

"All secure this end!

She accompanies her shout by gesturing largely, to make her message absolutely clear.

Dragodar
2014-01-10, 08:01 PM
Seeing Qing Li waving her arms, Dragodar turns to his companions. "Well, I suppose that's our cue."

He climbs up to the rope and hooks his legs around it, shimmying his way across the river.

Mechanics[roll0]

Elysian Blade
2014-01-10, 08:20 PM
Darius shrubs and crosses the rope carring his armor and sword on the other side he puts on his armor and asks.

Can you look around and see where we have to go and look behind us to see if what was behind us is still following. When your done grabbing your rope for future use will be nice. Darius says looking at the water wondering why it was so quite.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-10, 08:35 PM
Lirae made her way across the rope, slow and careful.

If the rope's at least two inches thick, taking 10 on Balance for 15. If not, taking 10 on Climb for 12.

If that fails but I don't fall, rolling Climb for [roll0].

If that fails but I don't fall, I'll burn a Spider Climb.

theskorpionking
2014-01-11, 09:33 AM
Thorn looked at the river and wonders why they never checked it's depth. She sighs, they did go to all kinds of trouble to get the rope up and it would probably hurt someone's feeling is she didn't use it.

taking ten on climb +8 for 18

Once on the other side she climbs the nearest tree.

taking 20 on climb +8 for 28.
If anything's changed and I need another spot check, [roll0]

Lentrax
2014-01-11, 02:29 PM
The land continues to rise around you. The mountains are still a ways off, but you believe you can make it there by nightfall. There are no oddities in sight, either from the ground or from atop the tree.

the forest is still eerily quiet, and the silence is beginning to be unnerving.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-11, 02:33 PM
Darius shivers slightly then stops looking towards the forest he picks up a rock and throws it into the forest and readies his sword as he places himself in the way of the forest and himself.

Lentrax
2014-01-11, 02:36 PM
Nothing happens.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-11, 02:37 PM
Okay then. I was thinking assassin vines.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-11, 02:50 PM
Lirae kept walking, just barely managing to resist the urge to break the silence with chatter. She kept glancing Thorn's way. The other elf was clearly experienced in woodcraft, so she figured Thorn would likely be the first to react if the eerie silence heralded any potential danger or problem.

Sapreaver
2014-01-11, 03:04 PM
Prism silent this time moves forward towards Darius, before speaking "I saw what you did to that ape, where did you train for combat? That was a fearsome blow."

Dragodar
2014-01-11, 03:05 PM
With a theatrical but unnecessary snap of his fingers, Dragodar activates his Aura of Swiftness.

Mechanics+5 to everyone's movement speed, to hurry this along.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-11, 03:15 PM
Prism silent this time moves forward towards Darius, before speaking "I saw what you did to that ape, where did you train for combat? That was a fearsome blow."

Every since I was able to walk my father trained me to use every thing in my body making me use bigger and bigger blades until I got up to this one here why dont you take a swing or two. Hehands over the fullblade using one hand.

razorback
2014-01-11, 03:47 PM
Walking with the rest of the group, bow in hand, the normally talkative gnome is quiet as he feels the oppressive silence around them. Being sensitive to both the silence and unusual noises, the talent saving his life more than one time in the past, he moves forward, body more taunt than the bow he is carrying.

"<Worse than a rabbit wondering when the fox is going to appear." he thinks to himself ruefully trying to break the affect his surroundings is having on him to little effect.

"Do we push on and make for the mountains to camp or the first defensible position we can find as we get closer to sundown?" his voice sounding false and tinny in his own ears.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-11, 03:52 PM
I dont think we should camp here for multiple reasons first we have our back towards the water which would normally be fine if not a rescue mission and the forest if more apes come we will have a fight on our hands so pushing on is the best course of action.

razorback
2014-01-11, 04:37 PM
Relind tries to smile as best he can at the man, his frayed nerves getting to him.

"I was suggesting here but the first defensible spot. If the rest of you feel like pushing on, that is fine by me."

Sapreaver
2014-01-11, 06:09 PM
Prism grasps the massive sword with two hands and clunkily swings it in the air.This sword is unwieldy very awkward even for one of my stature it's quite a feat to wield such a blade. If we decide to camp, I do not sleep so I can keep watch, although I might not notice an ambush.

Solophoenix
2014-01-11, 07:37 PM
Once everyone is across the river, Qing Li flits back to the other side and unties the rope, returning with it. With her dagger she seperates it back into the original two lengths and returns Lirae's, stowing her own in her pack.

Addressing Relind,

"I will require at least nine hours of rest if I am to refresh my spells tomorrow. However, I have cast only one today, so if the rest of the day is peaceful, I will be able to function with less. Even with no spells at all, I am still a capable warrior."

Reaching into her pack, Qing Li forces herself to drink the remaining contents of her waterskins, before heading to the water's edge to refill them.

Calling out,

"I suggest those of us who require water refresh our containers now, while the supply is certain."

theskorpionking
2014-01-11, 08:54 PM
Thorn climbs down the tree. "Sound advice.", she says to no one in particular. She refills her waterskin and walks over to the knight. "The mountains are still aways off, but we should make it by nightfall."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-12, 08:44 PM
To prism Dont feel bad most people cant even lift this blade. Darius says smiling.

To thorn We should get moving then. It will be better if we dont stay in the same place to long.

Solophoenix
2014-01-12, 09:30 PM
"Then onward we shall move!"

Qing Li slings her pack and moves through the group in the direction of the mountains.

"Is everybody ready, you all have the supplies you will need? Who knows when we might see water again?"

She turns to address Thorn specifically, and speaks in Elven,

<Madam Thorn, if you would care to take the lead position with me, I defer entirely to your woodland expertise.>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-12, 10:04 PM
Lirae nodded, refilling her waterskin, and followed along.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-13, 12:43 PM
Darius looks at Thorn with a puzzled look on his face at her elvish and it vanishs as it replaced by a thoughtful face as if he is begining to learn something from body actions and the way you are talking.

Darius is also keeping himself in the back to provided a nice backbone to there defence.

Sapreaver
2014-01-13, 01:03 PM
If you have any extra methods of carrying water do so and I'll hold it for you. Prism says aloud to the group turning towards Qi Ling and Lirae <Where did you two learn the tongue of dragons? >

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-13, 01:07 PM
Lirae chuckled and shrugged. "I was on a linguistics kick for a decade like, ehh...sixty years ago or something? Draconic seemed like a good one."

Dragodar
2014-01-13, 03:19 PM
Dragodar smiles at Lirae's words. "It was indeed. A nobler language you could not have chosen."

Solophoenix
2014-01-13, 06:56 PM
<Draconic is the language of the arcane. I learned it as part of my magical studies>

Sapreaver
2014-01-14, 11:07 AM
Lots of people speak it then? Prism asks aloud a smidgen of confusion in his voice. He continues on <~Do you speak the language of fire as well~> His normal deep voice sounding like the roar of a fire.

It's ignan

Solophoenix
2014-01-14, 11:42 AM
"I am afraid, sir, that I do not understand."

Lentrax
2014-01-14, 02:24 PM
The forest begins to thin out as you approach the mountains, and not long before nightfall, you begin to find the way up growing steeper and steeper as the soft earth beneath you turns slowly to sharp hard rock. Once or twice, ears seemed to pick up a sound, but it vanished before you could track its location, and you could find no tracks to suggest anything had been there at all.

As the sun begins to set, you find a small hollow cleft in the rocks, deep enough for all of you to sleep in and be defended easily enough by one or two of the group. Before much longer, you have a fire crackling and you begin to remove armor and bags to bed down for the night.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-14, 06:26 PM
After Darius takes off his armor he takes off his shirt revealing a very powerful body and a more youthful face then it seemed on the road not even old enough to be considered a man by human standards and he places his shirt near the fire to dry it out.

Because we all know wearing full-plate armor is going to make you sweat.

Solophoenix
2014-01-14, 08:59 PM
Qing Li pitches her tent, and lays out her bedroll inside, tucking her backpack inside as well to shelter it from rain, should there be any. With a flick of her wrist and a brief intonation, she casts a spell and stands, stretching out gleefully as the magic plays across her body and clothing, leaving both perfectly clean behind it.

Retrieving a pack of rations and a waterskin from her tent, she sits down in front of the fire to enjoy her evening meal. She pauses a moment as she notices the disgusting shirt, before directing the magic to clean it too, and thus leave her free to enjoy the meal.

Sapreaver
2014-01-14, 09:40 PM
"I will keep watch for the night although some company would be appreciated and needed for spotting any sneaky threats. If you have any tasks that I'd be able to complete I can attempt those for you for a small fee.Since my body is undamaged I do not need to repair my self tonight. Prism speaks aloud to the group before heading to the entrance of the cleft his foot steeps making hard metallic clunking sounds as he moves over the rocky surface.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-14, 09:59 PM
Lirae was hardly frail, but after the long day's travel, she was plenty tired. "Gonna beg off early watch if you guys don't mind. I'll be up in a few hours though," she said.

She slipped into the nook, and set her gear aside, munching a light meal of trail rations and working a quick armoring spell, just to be safe, before settling in to trance.

razorback
2014-01-14, 10:10 PM
Relind, after removing his armor, looks about for a fairly defensible spot to place his equipment before coming back to the group with some travelling provisions.
Plopping his diminutive frame down, he looks about at the gathered group.
<Sure are a youthful bunch. Well, except for the elves, but they do seem to be a might bit young for those immortal seeming ones.> he thinks to himself as he chews on some tough jerky.
After washing it down with a little wine, he relaxes and begins to speak.

"So, I know that things came on a little fast for us. I am Relind Stoneshadow, teacher and collector. I have travelled far and wide, as my length of years have allowed, across Arret. I hail from Ar-Keran, as my accent give away, and I teach there. What say the rest of you?"

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-14, 10:50 PM
"Lirae Dreamstar, investigator. Well, sort of. Been traveling for the past couple years, but that's my job when I'm at home." she said between bites of her rations.

Dragodar
2014-01-14, 11:23 PM
"I am named Thalmis Pyratus, called Dragodar. I am the kin and servant of dragonkind, particularly the mighty Silvers of legend." The Dragon Shaman pauses to swallow a bite of food. "I study the Shamanic ways of the dragons, and my grandfather trains me when I am able to visit him." Dragodar munches quietly on his bread and cheese for a moment.

"He is himself a Silver Dragon, as a matter of fact," the Dragon Shaman adds, almost as an after thought. He stares distantly into the fire for several seconds before continuing. "For almost five years now, I have traveled Arret, furthering my studies. I hope one day to join the dragons I serve in their majesty."

Looking up from the fire and smiling at his companions, he says in a more cheerful tone, "I don't really hail from anywhere in particular. Born to nomads, you know? Call nowhere home because everywhere is home, and all that." Dragodar lets out a short bark of good natured laughter and returns to quietly chewing his dinner.

Solophoenix
2014-01-14, 11:29 PM
"I am Qing Li, of Drela. I suppose you may label me as a warrior-mystic. I too live a nomadic existence, Drela is no longer my home, nor am I sure that it ever really was."

theskorpionking
2014-01-15, 08:02 AM
Thorn sat perched atop a rock, away from the rest of the group. She ate berries, throwing them into the air and then catching them in her mouth. She had seen a man do it a pub with nuts and it intrigued her. She was also writing her thoughts down on a roll of parchment.

When the talk turned to who would take what shifts, she jumped down from the rock and said, "I'll take first watch."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-15, 07:36 PM
I am Darius Alarx sole heir of my family my father was the legendary Sir Tellious. It is a pleasure to meet all of you now if you dont mind I will be back in a hour. Darius sets his armor off in the corner of the cave along with his newly clean shirt and picks up his sword and leaves the cave.

-------------------

As he said Darius returned in a hour his upper body covered in sweat and was breathing a little harder then he was before he left.

If anyone followed him you had to be hidden because he was doing something secret. :smallcool:

Solophoenix
2014-01-15, 08:15 PM
Qing Li wanders over to where Thorn is on watch, to spend a few minutes before turning in for the night.

She speaks in Elven,

<I apologise for the confusion caused earlier by my lack of understanding of the local dialect. I hope I can make myself clear in your own language...though truth be told, before today I had never used it for conversation, merely as an aid to my studies. Many who taught me believe elves to be the true masters of merging magic with the ways of the warrior, do you know much about the methods? I would be very grateful to benefit from your superior knowledge.>

Elysian Blade
2014-01-15, 10:04 PM
Darius walks up to Qing Li and says Do you mind if I borrow some of your time?

Solophoenix
2014-01-15, 11:04 PM
"If your requirement is well justified, certainly."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-16, 11:07 AM
"If your requirement is well justified, certainly."

I would like to know where you are most comfortable on the battlefield and what are your strengths and limitations. Darius replied.

Solophoenix
2014-01-16, 02:48 PM
"Tell me, is it customary among your people for warriors to reveal their weaknesses to anyone who asks? It is not among mine.

I am most comfortable on the battlefield when I am winning. To that effect, I try to ensure that there is no situation I can be put in that will render me unable to continue fighting. And I keep my vulnerabilities as little-known as possible."

Dragodar
2014-01-16, 05:21 PM
Dragodar, lying on his back upon his bedroll with his eyes closed, grins at Qing Li's words but says nothing.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-16, 06:22 PM
"Tell me, is it customary among your people for warriors to reveal their weaknesses to anyone who asks? It is not among mine.

I am most comfortable on the battlefield when I am winning. To that effect, I try to ensure that there is no situation I can be put in that will render me unable to continue fighting. And I keep my vulnerabilities as little-known as possible."

Fine that's fine by me I just hope you can learn how to trust me in the future. With that darius turns and leaves Qing Li. Slamming his sword into the ground and leans on it with his back facing away from you.

razorback
2014-01-17, 07:46 AM
Relind sits back and observes how the group dynamic is working itself out as he pulls out his pouch and pipe, lighting the pungent tobacco.

<Such a serious group. I wonder how many of them will live to see some gray in their hair with that kind of stress?> he thinks to himself.

Dragodar
2014-01-17, 11:48 AM
Dragodar waits several seconds before standing and walking over to Qing Li.

"Don't let his attitude upset you. He is young, and immature. Still only a boy, as a matter of fact," Dragodar says with a friendly smile. He gives her a knowing look, as though to tell her he is aware that she too is quite young, and turns away to return to his bedroll. "I'm sure you understand."

The dragon shaman gives Qing Li a parting smile and returns to his pack.

Smelling the smoke from Relind's pipe, Dragodar is reminded that he hasn't had a good toke in several days. He reaches into his pack, and removes his own pipe and a small packet of herb.

He walks over to Relind, holding his pipe and herb in one hand and extending the other for a handshake. "Mind if I share a toke with you? I can't sleep anyway, and it's been a while."

Sapreaver
2014-01-17, 11:29 PM
<!What brings you on this journey, Thorn was it?!> Prism asks his deep voice flowing with unnatual grace in the wood elfish tongue. he readies his great axe on to his shoulder golden eyes focused outwards. The fire reflecting brightly off the scales on his back. The deep green replaced with a lustrous silver green.

<! Wood elf
<~ Draconic
<@ Ignan
<% Dwarven
<* Ancient Common

Lentrax
2014-01-18, 06:21 AM
Prism stands against the night, watching over you as you sleep. Thorn, crouched down nearby, listens to the sounds of a forest alien to her.

Then Prism sees a shadow moving between some of the rocks below. It is still a good distance off, a hundred feet or more perhaps. But then the shadow moves again, moving the other direction. Pacing it seems, just out of sight, just out of reach.

razorback
2014-01-18, 09:18 AM
Mid puff, Relind nods his head at dragon-man. Letting out a ring, he says "Absolutely, lad. I find the smoke, especially after a hearty meal, is a feast for the senses. Of course, with some travelling fare, as we have now, it's more of the main course." He grins at Dragodar, a twinkle in his eye as he give him a wink. "Such is life on the road. If I can manage a bit of coffee in the morning with breakfast and a bit of smoke after dinner in the same night, makes the day better on so many levels. Can't always count on finding Rashers on the road, but the other two travel well enough. " He takes a couple of tokes from his pipe, keeping the embers alive, before continuing.
"So, the blood of the silvers run through your veins, eh? I've met a couple in my exploits, along with a few who I suspected were but took the form of a human or elf. Fair enough bunch, as a whole, although I am friends with a bronze who sometimes can be cajoled to come and give a lecture on the nature of electricity from time to time. I find the silvers and bronze to be quite a bit more relatable than the golds. Stuffy lot, them, without a sense of humor." Taking a long drag, he lets the silence sit for a moment as he allows the dragon-man to absorb what was said, an old habit from his lecturing experience.
"What made you take up this cause, to find the young lass? Nothing better to do with your time?" Dragodar can see a slight glint of teeth around Relind's pipe as the gnome pokes a little at him.
After talking to Dragodar a bit more, the gnome bids him good night and lays down for the night.

Dragodar
2014-01-18, 11:27 AM
"Indeed, my friend," Dragodar replies with a quiet laugh. He sits next to Relind and begins loading his pipe with the sweet green herb. "A good smoke always hits the spot."

The dragon shaman sparks up, deeply inhaling the thick smoke of his pipe. He gestures at his pipe with his free hand. "Not tobacco," he says in a constricted voice, holding the smoke in. Slowly, he releases the smoke from his lungs. It has an exotic, sweet scent, almost minty, but different. "It is a special plant called Kanipos, harvested from distant regions. The dragons often use it to delve deeper into their own vast minds and obtain inspiration from their subconscious. Every now and then, I use it to calm my nerves and explore my own mind. It is a beautiful experience indeed."

The dragon shaman holds out his packet containing the pungent herb in offering. "Would you like to try some?" he asks. "It will open your mind up to new thoughts, and let you see things from a different perspective."

Dragodar takes another toke and blows a ring, through which he blows another ring. He continues speaking. "Yes," he replies with a laugh, "I suppose the golds can be rather haughty sometimes..." He gazes into the fire, as if recalling a memory, and then laughs. "Haughty indeed, but loveable enough."

The dragon shaman takes another long draw from his pipe and allows the smoke to slowly seep out of his nostrils. "I suppose I joined this mission because I hoped it would enlighten me in my search for knowledge. I'm always seeking to learn more about the world we live in... Dragonkind, in particular. Even if I learn nothing of dragons, though, I am sure it will be an experience to remember."

Dragodar stares absently into the fire for several seconds, then turns to Relind and reciprocates the question. "What about you, friend?" he asks, as he taps his pipe on the rock upon which he sits to empty it. "Why are you here?"

Sapreaver
2014-01-18, 04:49 PM
Prism noticing something below turns to thorn and points<! I think we may have some company but they don't appear to be doing much of anything but pacing, I can't make out what it is. do you have a way of lighting something at a distance if I point to where it is before we awaken anyone? !>

razorback
2014-01-18, 05:25 PM
Nothing here to see.

Dragodar
2014-01-18, 07:07 PM
Dragodar stirs out of his trance, looking around. "What's going on?" he says to nobody in particular.

MechanicsDragodar has his Aura of Senses active. Don't forget +1 to Spot, Listen, and Initiative, everyone!

theskorpionking
2014-01-20, 12:14 PM
Thorn thinks to herself, not sure if she should say anything to the machines first question. Then decides to tell him the lie that she has told many others. "<!I am merely an envoy of my people.!>" She then looks at the tin man when he talks of company, "<! I don't see anything. Nor do I hear anything. Not all elves use magic, I am one such elf. So, no, I cannot. Perhaps we should wait it out. It may not mean us any harm.!>"

Sapreaver
2014-01-20, 06:51 PM
<!An envoy? Why did you join us here if you were diplomatic relations for the elves to shaerlorn? With the fires going out wouldn't it have been of utmost importance for your people and Shaerlorn to know how they stand? Unless your people caused them to go out. !> Prism speaks calmly eyes still focused on the shadows pacing in the distance. <! I didn't say you had to use magic I was just asking if you had a way to see. because I do not. You are a strange one Thorn, but who I am to talk about who's strange.!>

theskorpionking
2014-01-22, 12:40 PM
Indeed, Thorn thought to herself. She stifled a yawn. "<!What reason would you have for my people putting out those fires? Perhaps it was some of your kind. And I am an envoy, not an ambassador.!>"

Thorn slowly let out a breath before she continued. "<!Do you have another way to see? I only see with my eyes. Like I said before, we should wait it out. See if it comes to us. Then, and only then, should we raise an alarm. For all we know it could be a vorpal squirrel. Now, if you don't want to see my bad side, I'm going to wake up that city elf and then get some sleep.!>" She walked away before Prism could even respond.

She walks back to the others, nudging Lirae with her foot and saying, "<!It's your turn.!>" She then walked over to her bedroll, sat down, closed her eyes and began meditating.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-22, 01:31 PM
Lirae came to awareness silently, gave Thorn a smile and nod, grabbed her armor, and crawled out of the nook. As she slipped her chain shirt on, she looked to Prism and said softly, "Good morning."

Dragodar
2014-01-22, 01:41 PM
Dragodar observes the conversation in silence. He stretches and turns about slowly, looking around the campsite and listening carefully for Prism's intruder.

MechanicsSpot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Sapreaver
2014-01-23, 11:03 AM
<!Lirae was it?!> Prism asks before continuing further <! Do you have a way of viewing things from a distance perhaps a spy glass. !>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-23, 01:49 PM
<! That's right. And no. What are we observing, now? I can do sneaky. Will sneaky work? !>

Lirae cased about to try and see if she could discern what he was talking about.

Move Action - Spot: [roll0]

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-23, 03:08 PM
Lirae narrowed her eyes, peering at the movement. Unable to make anything out, she said softly, <! I'll be back, !> and keeping to what cover there was, or staying low in the dark of night if nothing else, began to approach, slow and quiet, bow in hand but not nocked.

Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently for 22 + distance bonuses. Going to try and get close enough to make it out with my low light vision.

Lentrax
2014-01-23, 03:28 PM
You get maybe halfway down to where you think you should be, when you see the shadows move again. this time, they seem to be in vaguely humanoid shapes, but it is still too dark to see clearly. Then a voice speaks, it is some form of elven, but you can't quite pick up all the words.

<Who frea teya, Tree-sister?>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-23, 03:36 PM
<! Greetings. My name is Lirae. And you are? !> she responded, hazarding a guess on the words she didn't catch.

Not sure if it would help with the dialect, but I speak Sylvan as well an Elven.

Lentrax
2014-01-23, 04:44 PM
<Dretya synnat leshiekao pist? Mered?>

The words are not directed at you. But are rather to someone behind the speaker.

<Give us a reason not to kill you here and now, Tree-dweller.>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-23, 05:14 PM
<! I can give you three! !> Lirae replied with...exaggerated cheerfulness.

<! Reason 1: I've done nothing to harm, threaten, or oppose you in any way. I am simply an adventuring mage, no danger to you if you do not make me one, and potentially a good friend to have. It is, I say, simply unwise to attack one who means no harm to you, in addition to being morally indefensible.

Reason 2: I'm well protected. My teacher is a master mage and I am, if I may say, rather popular among his not-inconsiderable roster of apprentices. An unprovoked attack against me would really just be more trouble than it's worth.

Reason 3: I kinda have a whole team nearby and I'm pretty sure you can't kill me in less time than it takes me to scream and get them crashing down on your heads like a ton of boulders. That all assuming I don't trounce you utterly with a single spell, of course. Which, when you think about it, isn't safe to assume at all. So how about you cool the macho threats and let's talk, hmm? !>

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Bluff! [roll1]
INTIMIDAAAAAAATE! [roll2]

:smallcool:

Lentrax
2014-01-23, 05:24 PM
<Karethae? Thesi mikaisala chuubia sip?>

<Osa. Mikaisala milie pons.>

<Gather your friends. And try not to escape. We have this place well guarded, Tree-dweller.>

You realize you still haven't seen faces at all to go with any of the voices you have heard.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-23, 05:51 PM
<! Duly noted! !> she replied with the same exaggerated cheeriness, slipping away..going off perpendicular to the camp. Once she had backed off a bit, she cast a quick spell, vanishing into invisibility. They may have known where the group was camped, or they may have just coincidentally had their own camp nearby. No sense not being cautious. She returned to the group invisibly.

"Sorry, all, need you to get up. We've got potential trouble," she said, going about - still invisible, it lasted four minutes and there was no sense wasting it - and trying to awaken the party. Once she had awakened everyone she could, she said, "Okay, we have strangely hostile, skulking people out there. Based on the fact that they could discern what I am and I couldn't make them out, the fact that they speak a language similar to elvish but with a lot of word and dialect differences, and the fact that they kept calling me 'tree dweller' in what sounded like a derogative manner, my guess is they're drow. They told me to gather you guys and not try to escape because they have the place well guarded. Suggestions? I submit escaping, myself. Although crashing down on their heads like a ton of boulders has its appeal as well. Would let us get back to rest faster, anyway."

There still wasn't any real urgency in her voice, although she was glancing warily about as she spoke, just in case.

Spot: [roll0]

Elysian Blade
2014-01-23, 06:32 PM
Darius begans to put on his armor with a very cool head and speaks very calmly as he says I will challedge the leader for the rights of passage and if they refuse they should be focus on me and I will provide the biggest distraction they have ever seen and you can do one of two choices flee or help me flank them. If you want to go to the peaceful solution and not attack I am sure that they do not know our numbers and we can keep one or two people back here and if we get into trouble they can help us turn the situation into an advantage what do you say about it.2 Darius finishes looking at Lirae. As he finished putting on his armor.

Dragodar
2014-01-24, 05:55 PM
Dragodar rubs his eyes, fully awake now, and stands up slowly. He quietly walks up behind Darius and places a hand on the knight's shoulder.

"Perhaps we should hold off on threats of combat until we are certain a more peaceful resolution cannot be reached," the dragon shaman mutters quietly to Darius.

Turning toward the woods, Dragodar calls out to the unseen intruders. "Good people! I entreat you to parley with us. We mean you no harm, and we want none from you. I am sure you know that if you attack us, there will be bloodshed on both sides; and I hope I am right in assuming that is something both of us would like to avoid. Whatever the issue at hand is, I trust we can resolve it peacefully."

The dragon shaman's words ring through the clearing with authority. He pauses for the dramatic effect before continuing.

"Unfortunately, if you do anythig rash, there will indeed be bloodshed, and I can assure you it will be far more terrible on your side than on ours. I tell you this only out of mercy."

MechanicsDiplomacy Check [roll0]

Lentrax
2014-01-24, 10:37 PM
<You have no idea what we want, Human. Do not assume that what you want is close to our aim. Speak quickly, if you wish to avoid being offerings to the Spider Queen.>

theskorpionking
2014-01-25, 04:11 AM
Thorn's eyes snapped open. She was very irritated and she was going to let the small group know it. She looks at Prism, "I believe I said we should leave it alone. It looks to me like someone decided to play with the hive and got stung. Now we all have to suffer. "

Solophoenix
2014-01-25, 05:50 AM
Qing Li had been trying to keep her mind clear, readying it for the state of concentration required to prepare spells in the morning, but the mention of the Spider Queen had jolted her sufficiently that she knew continuing for now would be hopeless.

I suppose I will just have to sleep in...should I survive the night.

Quickly tightening the sashes on her clothing, pulling on her boots and taking up her gear, she moves to join the rest of the group.

Dragodar
2014-01-25, 12:25 PM
Dragodar nods at Thorn's words and sets his jaw in a determined grimace, hefting his morningstar as he does. He is beginning to like this rude elf already.

Dragodar makes eye contact with Darius and gives him an almost imperceptible nod, as if to say, "We are ready to act on your signal."

Then he gazes into the forest and responds. "I have already spoken, and you know that we would have peace. It seems that only your intentions are still in the dark.

"Now, it would seem that it is up to you to decide whether or not blood will be spilled tonight. Decide quickly. I would like to get some sleep in before dawn."

The dragon shaman glances at his party and gives them a reassuring nod. Then he raises his weapons and readies himself for whatever comes next.

OoCRemember Aura of Senses, everyone!

Lentrax
2014-01-25, 12:42 PM
<Mikaisala chosta drexi?>

<Holaena. Drexe naster.>

<Mikaisala drexi poshta.>

<Your words say Peace, Human, but your actions say War. We give you one chance. Why are you here?>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-25, 01:02 PM
Lirae cast her gaze down at Thorn's words, but then perked up some and murmured, "But I was right about them being drow."

Elysian Blade
2014-01-25, 02:55 PM
Darius nods at Dragodar and lifts up his massive sword for everyone to see and says.You have two options let us pass or I will let us pass. As for why were hear your making me think that your the one interfering with our quest with this er...spider queen. To everyone in his party he mouths <Be ready.>

Sapreaver
2014-01-25, 03:27 PM
We are here looking for a lost person, I have answered your query now why are you here? Prism answers the drow.

Dragodar
2014-01-25, 05:38 PM
"My actions speak war because your words did the same," Dragodar responds, gripping his morningstar more tightly. "If you would parley with us, you should have said so. It is not too late to resolves this peacefully."

The dragon shaman is beginning to get annoyed at the elusiveness of the drow.

"If you would speak to us any longer, I bid you show your faces and let us discuss terms as adults. I would rather not converse with unseen faces."

razorback
2014-01-26, 12:19 AM
This happens before the others go to talk to the drow.Relind, after being woken and assessed of the situation, proceeds to ready himself.

"Violence, most of the time, does not bear out the results that one usually endeavors for." After saying that, he moves about and readies his bow after checking his hammer and darts, wry grin on his face. He nods to the others to let them know that, whatever the outcome of this meeting, he is as ready as he can be given the circumstances.

Lentrax
2014-01-26, 02:41 PM
The snap of bowstrings and the chanting words of magic fills the air as the drow launch their attack. Arows scatter through your encampment, some finding their marks amid the darkness with sickening wet thumps.

Golden glitter fills the air, and you begin to blink it away, hoping it does not stick in your vision.

Dragodar
2014-01-26, 08:12 PM
"Bastards," Dragodar mutters through clenched teeth as he ducks down and keeps his calm amid the sudden chaos of the combat zone as he crouches behind a rock.

If possible, he makes eye contact with Darius. "Looks like my way didn't work. Now we try your way."

The dragon shaman stands up and gives his morningstar a practiced swing. "Time to dance," he mumbles to himself.

MechanicsNot to sound like a broken record, but just another reminder for the +1 on Initiative. Once we've rolled Initiative I'll change it to Aura of Power, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-27, 12:42 PM
Darius hearing the snaps jumps in the way of the arrows as they buried themselves deep into his chest. Blood streaming down out of both his mouth and his chest.

Darius looks towards the shadows at where their enemies shot from and says.You cowards attacking without showing yourselves and attacking women no less by my name and honor I will see you all dead.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-28, 01:56 PM
Lirae grimaced as spells and arrows flew, very, very glad to have a knight as skilled as Darius on her team. She quickly began considering the problem. The primary advantage of the drow was range and stealth. She wasn't certain of their exact positions or range, and the warriors on her team would need some cover to close.

She cast quickly, in the direction the arrows had come from, centering her spell at a distance about mid-way between the party and roughly where she thought they were. Thick, billowing fog immediately sprang up.

Standard: Dropping a Fog Cloud between us and the enemy.

No other actions, 'cause Surprise Round.

Current Spells: 6/8/2.

Note to self: At this point, tomorrow's spell slots will be equal to current spell slots plus one second-level spell.

Solophoenix
2014-01-28, 06:01 PM
"Most impressive! You will surely be a great mage!"

Qing Li takes stock of their situation.

"I suggest we take cover in the cleft. The enemy outnumber us, forcing them into a chokepoint within the illumination of the campfire seems the best plan."

She shouts as she moves back to the safety of the cleft, hoping to lead the others to cover.

razorback
2014-01-28, 10:17 PM
"Gludzin aul flevor!" the gnome says as he fires back at what he hopes is one of their assailants and not a tree moving in the breeze.

I am assuming Relind only gets one action in the surprise. If he does get a full, he will move for cover.

Relind
AC ~20; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 52; Current ~52

Free Action
Knowledge:Nature to identify drow and use Knowledge Devotion
[roll0] or [roll1]; reroll from Trivial Knowledge & +5 from Collector of Stories

Check Result Bonus Granted
15 or below +1
16—25 +2
26—30 +3
31—35 +4
36 or higher +5

Standard Action
Attack Drow that he may have seen or assumes he had seen
[roll2] plus +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Crit Conf

[roll3] plus +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Damage

[roll4] plus +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Effects ~
Inspiration Points - (3) 3

theskorpionking
2014-01-29, 10:38 AM
Instead of following the others, Thorn sat back down on her bedroll. "I refuse to hide or fight in a battle that could have, nay, should have been avoided. I said to leave it alone, to wait it out. It seems that no one took my advice. We came here to look for a little lost wizard girl. Now we will most likely die. I for one can accept that."

Lentrax
2014-01-30, 04:47 PM
A thick fog swirls into the air the gray haze refleting the feeble light still coming from your fire, some 70 feet away.

The Drow continue to press their attack, focusing on the knight, who has challenged their integrity.

One of them calls out. <And we are all women, human!>

One arrow flies forth from your side of the fog, and you hear one of the drow cry out in sudden pain and confusion.

But yet more arrows continue to fly, and another voice, the commander's presumably shouts out an order.

<Quita! Shasta message realinda thrakast entrance! Tell cuoros under attack! Drose amanst reinforcements!>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-01-30, 05:36 PM
Lirae cast Thorn a shocked look. "Are you serious? They were going to attack us no matter what!" She could not believe, could not even begin to comprehend, that the other elf would be content to just lie down and die, and let the rest of them die without even lifting a finger in their defense.

But she had more important things to worry around. She quickly spun around, two figment images of herself splitting off from her body and fanning out. They moved around the Fog Cloud, but staying low and moving with little noise and quiet strides, keeping to cover where they could. They didn't move stealthily enough to escape the notice of the drow, but they appeared to be trying to stealthily flank around them. She herself darted for the cover of the nook, throwing herself to the ground inside.

She murmured another spell. The sound of clanking armor and inarticulate cries of rage manifested from the air, starting at Darius's location, and then moving off in {whatever direction Darius doesn't move}.

Swift Action: Cast Instant Diversion, creating two figment Liraes that move off as described. They are AC 15 and vanish if hit.

Move Action: Move to the nook.

Free Action: Drop prone inside the nook.

Standard Action: Cast Ghost Sound, creating a figment sound of, basically, Darius moving off in some direction other than he's actually moving (though remaining within 35' of Lirae), so combined with the Fog Cloud the drow hopefully won't know where to shoot to shoot at him.

Current Spells: 5/7/2.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-30, 06:43 PM
I challenge the strongest of all of you if I win you can take me back to this spider queen of yours but leave my comrades alone. Well if I lose...well I wont lose lets begin. Darius says.

Not sure how to put that but knights challenge is in effect its a swift action.

theskorpionking
2014-01-31, 08:28 AM
Thorn looked over to Lirae as she moved and said, "We don't know that for certain. For all we know they could have been watching us the whole time since we arrived. We are trespassing on their land after all. And you, and a few others, acted aggressively towards them."

razorback
2014-02-01, 06:13 PM
"Khathuzh Dushel zûrâl yothur bâhul. Nâtul khidu hὺrudul ὺhurud!"

For Dwarven speakers
Relind, hearing the drow, says at a low voice directed at those around the campfire, hoping at least one of them speaks dwarven "The drow are calling for reinforcements. We need to end this quickly or get the Hades out of here!"

With a quick look at Darius, he mutters in common "Well, that may not be an option."
After speaking, Relind fires at where he thinks he had last seen one of the drow before he tries to blend into the shadows of a tree, using it for cover while he tries to move into a better position.

Relind
AC ~20; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 52; Current ~52

Free Action
Speak

Move Action
Hide as move to cover by nearest tree
Standard Action
Attack Drow that he may have seen or assumes he had seen
[roll0] including +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Crit Conf

[roll1] including +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Damage
[roll2] including +3 bonus given by knowledge devotion

Move Action
Hide as move to cover by nearest tree
[roll3]

Effects ~
Inspiration Points - (3) 3

Solophoenix
2014-02-01, 07:28 PM
"Lirae, the Drow are calling for backup. Do you have an illusion that could conceal the entrance to this cleft, make it appear like a continuous rockface?"

Lentrax
2014-02-03, 02:23 PM
More arrows fly out, striking the knight some of them piercing his armor.

The rest pass through the night, their targets obscured by fog. You hear the order to reload and the leader's voice calls out.

<Surrender to us now, and we will not kill you. You will be given chance to prove yourself worthy of life.>

Quellian-dyrae
2014-02-03, 03:41 PM
"Sounds fair enough to me," Lirae said to whatever of the party could hear. Well, really, she had no intention of doing anything the drow wanted unless they made a good case for it, but if they were willing to cease hostilities now, well, that fell squarely into the "they don't have to know that" category.

Nonetheless, she was ready to cast if the drow kept attacking.

Delaying.

Solophoenix
2014-02-03, 03:49 PM
Qing Li shouts to the Drow.

"I will happily agree to a parley to discuss terms. Though I cannot speak for my companions."

Lentrax
2014-02-03, 04:07 PM
<No. Surrender. No terms.>

Solophoenix
2014-02-03, 04:13 PM
"No terms? No surrender!"

Elysian Blade
2014-02-03, 06:37 PM
Darius walks 15ft towards where the drow are not heeding the blood from the new arrows in his chest and slams his sword in the ground. He then puts his back to it facing the drow and says. I have put down my only arm now you can do the same if you will.

Leader of the drow should meet him because he is trying to be nice while not admiting defeat yet.

razorback
2014-02-04, 08:56 AM
Relind, hearing the drow's words, looks at his new companions. While not above fleeing an obviously losing battle, he is above leaving companions in a lurch. Holding his position as he hasn't been attacked yet, he keeps his bow drawn and ready to fire if they take hostile action.

Lentrax
2014-02-04, 09:02 AM
"No terms? No surrender!"

<As you like, then.>

Round two actions please.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-02-04, 01:25 PM
Lirae's heart caught in her throat. Okay, yeah, time for desperate flailing for survival. Qing's idea sounded good for that. "Everyone in here!" she hissed, too quietly for her voice to carry far. A quick spell, and their little nook was covered by a silent image of more rock. If there was enough room for them to fit and only make it look more shallow, she would go with that. Otherwise, just hide it entirely in hopes the drow hadn't seen it.

Solophoenix
2014-02-04, 02:23 PM
Qing Li draws her Spiked chain and prepares herself for the consequences of any Drow defeating the illusion.

If father could see you now...

Move: Stand at the front of the group, just behind the illusion, and draw spiked chain.
Standard: Ready an action to cast Alter Self if one of the Drow defeats the illusion.

About time for this, too,

Roll for Knowledge Devotion vs Drow:
[roll0]

Elysian Blade
2014-02-04, 02:28 PM
Yea...Darius is so going in there.

theskorpionking
2014-02-05, 09:58 AM
Thorn stands up and stares at others. "Do you really believe that this little ruse of yours will work? This is their land, and I am sure that they know it intimately. And, I for one, do not plan on dying tonight."

She then walks through the illusion. "Peace, fellow beings. I have not acted aggressively towards you, nor did I mean any trespass. So please hear my words. I have been with these people for only a few hours. We were asked by a wizard to search for his assistant. Her name was Ingrid, and she had come her some months ago. She was set to return a few days ago, but has not made it back. I beg of you for any information that you have, that way I will be able to continue on my journey."

Dragodar
2014-02-05, 08:41 PM
Dragodar runs to the nearest tree and climbs it, attempting to get far up the trunk.

MechanicsClimb: [roll0]

Lentrax
2014-02-06, 03:16 AM
You all turn to hide in the rock cleft, but as you run, arrows fall from the air above, lobbed up over the fog. One arrow lodges in Darius leg, another in his arm, but a third pierces his armor and drives itself into the knight's lung. The knight collapses after a few more hurried steps, unable to draw breath.

Seconds pass in a frenzied tattoo of heartbeats, and for a moment, just one moment, the night is quiet again.

You hear the footsteps of Drow approaching your campsite. Dragodar watches as they start tearing apart your campsite, looking for signs of where you went.

As they step into the firelight, you see your adversaries for the first time. Black skinned, with silver hair that flows from beneath their dark helms. One of them, the leader of this group most likely, removes her helmet revealing what could have been a pretty face, had it not been twisted with rage.

Darius feels hands roughly grabbing him, turning him over and another lance of pain shocks its way through him as the arrow snaps beneath his armor. The leader walks over to the knight where he had fallen and kneels over him, inspecting his wounds.

<Heal him. Just enough to live, but not enough for him to continue to fight.>

Darius feels a sharp jolt of magic run through him as a slender finger of a drow in long black robes touches his forehead. She then turns back to her troops.

<Find them! Search everywhere! They cannot have gone far! The high priestess herself will feed you to the Spider Queen alive if we fail to find the intruders!>

As Thorn steps out of the rock wall, the Drow immediately turn to her bows ready, but as she surrenders, instead two warrior women step forward and grab hold of her.

<A wizard? Ingrid? Bring her. And seize the others, no doubt they thought to hide behind an illusion. Come out with hands empty and held where we can see them. Otherwise I give the order to loose. Archers! Black-tip arrows! Draw!>

Every archer there draws arrows and sets them to bowstrings. These arrows glisten wetly in the flickering firelight.

Dragodar
2014-02-06, 09:45 AM
Dragodar clambers quickly down from the tree and puts his hands in the air, submissively. He slowly lowers himself to his knees and waits.

Elysian Blade
2014-02-06, 01:19 PM
Darius only motions his head twice one as a sign of thanks the other to see if they will grab his sword.

Solophoenix
2014-02-07, 09:19 AM
As Thorn rushes out to the waiting Drow, Qing Li realises a change of tactic is in order.

That fool's cowardice may just give me enough time...

She begins muttering under her breath as she casts.

As the Drow are busy with Thorn, casting, in this order:

Alter Self to Tren (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=4), 40 minute duration.

Expeditious Retreat w/ Caster's Gloves, 6 minute duration.

Mirror Image, 4 minute duration, [roll0] images.

Fist of Stone, 1 minute duration.

With a hiss of "Now!" to Lirae, she casts her final spell.

Casting Glitterdust, centered on the top-right corner of D7, to hit the Drow in C6,C7,D5 and F7, and also Prism, unfortunately. EDIT: Save DC is 20.

And I assume this is a new combat, so new Initiative:

[roll1]

This is a co-ordinated plan with Lirae, so she should also get her surprise round action. Also, Qing Li is fighting defensively for now.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-02-07, 01:23 PM
If possible while Qing is buffing:

Lirae shook her head, saying in just over a breath. "Qing, stop. If we attack them now, we're putting the others at too much risk. And I still don't see their casters. Now is not the time to strike.

With that said, she'd walk out with her hands up. But she wouldn't drop the illusion yet. If Qing and Relind didn't wish to come out, she thought she might be able to keep them concealed. Maybe.

If that isn't possible, or Qing doesn't heed:

Lirae grimaced. This was too risky, but she wasn't going to just let Qing go out there without any support. She cast quickly, setting a hand on Qing's back, and a field of invisible force manifested around her.

Dragodar
2014-02-19, 12:59 AM
Since no one has given me their surprise round actions, and has done nothing since telling me they have a plan, I am going to call this game done.

Dragodar puts his hands on the back of his head and gyrates his hips in a sensual manner, attempting to seduce the drow.