PDA

View Full Version : Learning NPC only spells

Melnir
2013-12-29, 06:35 AM
I was wondering if there's a way by RAW to learn a spell only an NPC knows. Let's say a DM gives the BBEG a powerful spell that he researched and no one else in the setting has ever cast it except for the BBEG. What could a PC do to have this spell on his list (provided he has the same spell list as the BBEG)?

EDIT: it would be better if it's a "cheap" way (so let's say ice assassin and wish are out), maybe 10k gp would be good (but more expensive ways are welcome as well).

Alent
2013-12-29, 06:37 AM
Plan A: Mindrape.

Plan B: Steal his spellbook.

Plan C: Become his disciple.

Plan D: Wish for the spell to be added to your spellbook.

Did I miss anything?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-29, 06:42 AM
Dominate him and have him teach you/scribe a scroll of it.

Melnir
2013-12-29, 06:49 AM
Plan A: Mindrape.

Plan B: Steal his spellbook.

Plan C: Become his disciple.

Plan D: Wish for the spell to be added to your spellbook.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for your help, I'll add some more difficulties: the BBEG is an undead/construct/plant/immune to mind affecting, is a sorceror, is totally solitary. Plan D seems nice though.

TuggyNE
2013-12-29, 07:29 AM
Plan E: Research the same spell yourself. If the spell is known to exist and you make your Spellcraft checks, you are certain to get the right result.

Chronos
2013-12-29, 07:39 AM
Thanks for your help, I'll add some more difficulties: the BBEG is an undead/construct/plant/immune to mind affecting
There are spells for controlling those, too.

Melnir
2013-12-29, 07:51 AM
If the GM has decided that the spell is NPC only, you're not getting it. Rule zero.

If I can find a way to get it, he'll let me do that. We can say it's hard to get the spell, but not impossible because the GM decided that.

There are spells for controlling those, too.

I know, but I can't mind rape him anyhow. And if I fail command undead's opposed charisma check he won't scribe the scroll no matter what (assuming he's an undead).