PDA

View Full Version : Gear Choice and Spells....

Valairn
2007-01-19, 08:48 AM
I have an SRD based Arcane Trickster of 16 caster levels 2 other levels that I need to outfit with 440k gp to spend on equipment and spells. I could really use some help on this one.....

Scipio
2007-01-19, 09:27 AM
Do the magic items & spells have to come from the SRD as well?

Ranged attack spells are a must, since you can get sneak attack with them. Scorching Ray, Acid Arrow, Enervation, etc. Of course you will want Greater Invisibility to make sure you can get your sneak attack most of the time. Heroism (and the greater version) are good to increase your attack bonus. For the other spells pick a nice selection of spells that require different saves. Disintegrate fills a couple roles. It requires a fort save, which is tough for enemy wizards. It affects undead. And to top it off it is a ranged attack spell. Of course if they fail their save, the sneak attack isn't going to add a lot. But if they don't you will still do 5d6 + sneak attack.

As far as magic items go, I would get a Robe of the Archmagi. It is a great item. The animal buff items for dexterity, constitution and intelligence are all good for a wizard. A low level wand such as Acid Arrow will give you a lot of ranged attack spells, and this spell is not affected by spell resistance.

Hopefully that will get you started.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 09:33 AM
That's a big help!

Is it worth investing in a +5 tome of intellect? Its like 130k or something?

Ikkitosen
2007-01-19, 10:01 AM
At his level you might prefer another means of Sneak Attacking than Invisibility - perhaps Improved Blink? Look it up as I'm not sure. Is there a core alternative I wonder?

As for the Tome...tough call. That's a lot of cash, and many of your spells should be no save or buffs. I say no.

I'll maybe add more if I think of it.

Scipio
2007-01-19, 10:14 AM
There are plenty of ways to foil invisibility, but in the core rules it is probably the best way to go. Following the RAW (rules as written), you can combine Nondetection and Greater Invisibility to stop some of the methods of foiling invisibility. This requires a looser interpretation of Nondetection than I prefer, but a case can be made.

Blink gives you a 20% miss chance, so it is not a great option for an arcane trickster.

Even with all your ranged attack spells that usually allow no save, you should still have quite a few spells that do require saves. The Tome of Clear Thought +5 is a great purchase. Nothing is more important to a wizard than intelligence.

I would also seriously consider taking Craft Wondrous Item. It will allow you to save a ton of money on magic items, since you can make them at half price. It is not viable for the tomes, because the XP cost is ridiculous. Which begs the question of who is making these items, but that is for another discussion.

Person_Man
2007-01-19, 10:23 AM
Buy lots of cheap items. You'll get more bang for your buck if you fill up every slot on your body with a +2 or +3 item, rather then wasting tons of gold on something just because you have the money.

Also keep in mind that if you're a Wizard, you have to buy spells for your spellbook (via scrolls) that you didn't get from level progression or find during the course of adventuring. If you want flexibility, that can get really expensive, really quickly.

There's also new suppliment out that's just a compilation of magic items from all the suppliments. You might want to pick it up.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 10:26 AM
So I've worked out a

Blessed Book 12.5k
Tome of Clear Understaing +5 137.5k
Robe of the Archmage (White) 85k
Natural Armor Amulet (+?)

lol that's all I've got

Now for extra spells apart from those gained from leveling, do I need to spen money on the scroll, or can I assume that I found some library somewhere and just filled my spellbook? (I understand DM discretion, but typically?)

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 10:29 AM
It costs 50 gp * spell level to copy a spell into your book (plus scribing costs, which don't exist with the Blessed Book).

The Robe of the Archmage ain't all that. Get a +1 Mithral buckler of Heavy Fortification and a +1 Soulfire Twilight Mithral chain shirt--immunity to death effects, energy drain, and crits.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 10:44 AM
Is twilight in the SRD?

Bah.... being deployed, trying to make a character without all my books is in furry eating!

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 10:48 AM
No, it's not, but it's a +n (where 0<n<2) enhancement that decreases ASF by some number between 9%. and 11%.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 10:49 AM
And mithral reduces it by 15% as is neway right?

I should mention at this point I took a level in sneak attack fighter so I have access to any kind of armor.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 10:50 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral 20% (chain shirt) - Mithral - Twilight = 0.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 10:52 AM
What about soulfire?

RUFF! give me your bacon!!!!

Hario
2007-01-19, 10:58 AM
No, it's not, but it's a +n (where 0<n<2) enhancement that decreases ASF by some number between 9%. and 11%.

wow how descreet about sharing OGM... I think its a 1.5+ enchantment...:smallcool:

Valairn
2007-01-19, 11:00 AM
What book is soulfire from?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 11:02 AM
What about soulfire?

RUFF! give me your bacon!!!!

Soulfire is like continuous Death Ward, plus ability drain immunity. +n where n is between 3 and 5. :P

Soulfire is from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Valairn
2007-01-19, 11:08 AM
lol Bears I think I love you

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I get that a lot.

It's because bears that shoot laser beams from their eyes are FREAKIN' AWESOME:

http://content3.i-am-bored.com/games/26344_mordoranim8.gif

Valairn
2007-01-19, 11:13 AM
Your name coup de grace's mine....