PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Not enough turn attempts

Zweisteine
2013-12-29, 10:29 AM
In building a cleric who will also serve as his party's secondary melee. To that end, he has taken a template and a dry to be immune to all damage but fire and acid (and he has fire resistance 5).

The problem is that his templates and race give him -6 or -8 charisma. This severely impedes his ability to have turn attempts, which impedes some of the best Cleric cheese there is.

At my level (4, ECL 5), nightsticks are too expensive to buy even one of.
The Undeath domain would be nice, but I don't want to worship a God of Cheese (aka the God of Two Convenient Domains). I could use the planning domain to get Extend spell, but my other domain could not be Undeath (god of mummification??).

As stated above, one feat is already taken up with being hard to kill (troll-blooded).

So my questions are:
1. What can I do about that?
2. Do Extra turning/Nightsticks/etc apply to class features that replace turning with a different effect?

bekeleven
2013-12-29, 03:29 PM
1. What can I do about that?
2. Do Extra turning/Nightsticks/etc apply to class features that replace turning with a different effect?

1. Feats, Ioun Stone, Reliquaries.
2. Yes, but those don't power Divine Metamagic unless they explicitly state that they do.

Grayson01
2013-12-29, 07:08 PM
What does you CHA end up being after the Template hit?

Zweisteine
2013-12-29, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the tips!

After the templates, my charisma could be anywhere from 2 to 10. It'll probably be 4 to 8.

Talya
2013-12-30, 09:07 AM
2 level prestige paladin dip, and the Serenity feat from dragon 306.

(This does lose you one caster level. In the other hand, you get smite evil, divine grace, lay hands, and turn undead all based off wisdom. The tradeoff is... not horrible.)

claypigeons
2013-12-30, 10:38 AM
2 level prestige paladin dip, and the Serenity feat from dragon 306.

(This does lose you one caster level. In the other hand, you get smite evil, divine grace, lay hands, and turn undead all based off wisdom. The tradeoff is... not horrible.)

Mounted Combat and Ride ranks to enter, yes? Definitely worthwhile when you consider you would arguably have Paladin-only spells on your list
And in sone cases, have cleric spells at a lower level due to quirky spell list interactions.

Cog
2013-12-30, 12:46 PM
And in sone cases, have cleric spells at a lower level due to quirky spell list interactions.
The Prestige X classes only add unique spells to your list. There's debate over what exactly that means, but I really don't see it including spells that you already have.

claypigeons
2013-12-30, 01:03 PM
The Prestige X classes only add unique spells to your list. There's debate over what exactly that means, but I really don't see it including spells that you already have.

Eh, even so... Holy Sword as a 4th level spell (level 7) is pretty sweet. :smallcool:

There are many GOOD paladin-only spells. Many show up on esoteric Domain lists... so just don't take those domains.

Talya
2013-12-30, 02:44 PM

I tend to agree. I think, at best, it adds all spells that are on the paladin list but not on the list of the class you are advancing casting with PrC Paladin.

Zweisteine
2013-12-30, 10:11 PM
But to be a prestige paladin, I have to follow an extreme alignment. I had been tending towards chaotic/neutral... I'd also have to give up the iter PrC I was aiming for (for a few levels, at least).

Runeclaw
2013-12-30, 10:15 PM
Try to sell your DM on a Prestige Paladin of Freedom.

It's a pretty simple extrapolation.

Talya
2013-12-30, 10:17 PM
That's true.

Your options to get a bunch of turn attempts involve either:
(1) High Charisma
(2) PrC Paladin + Serenity feat, or
(3) A giant pile of nightsticks.

There's no really good choices in the direction you're headed other than those.