PDA

View Full Version : Meetup UKitP Meetup XV: If you don't come, we might destroy the world. Just saying.

Pages : [1] 2

Thufir
2013-12-29, 11:21 AM
UK Playgrounders! Let us once again gather here to discuss gathering somewhere else (somewhere a bit more physical) at some undetermined time in the future!

Previous Meetup Threads:
1 - The one that started it all!
2 - Brumland, I believe.
3 - Brumland again?
4 - Reading/Basingstoke. Totally didn't happen no matter what Archie says.
5 - Peterborough.
6 - Didn't miss this one out, honest!
7 - The Archon triumphed over the Hippie in London.
8 - Sheffield! So much snow. o.o
9 - The first playing of Kubb! In Peterborough again.
10 - BRADFORD WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
11 - Newcastle was over-run with hats and Hate-Boar.
12 - More Chaos in Leicester- wasn't Castaras enough? Plus a trans-atlantic stabbing.
13 - Derby Fun Times
14 - London again. With chocolates!

Meetup information:
Venue: http://www.avantgardemusicbar.co.uk/
Time: Friday 4th - Sunday 6th July.

LIKELY VICTIMS

Definitely Coming:
Archonic Energy
Delusion
Dvil
FinnLassie
KuReshtin
Lesser Minion
Randman22222
Snowfire
Strawberries
Succubus
Teddy
Thufir

Might be coming:
Capt Spanner
CurlyKitGirl
Dallas Dakota
DarkCorax
Eidreff
Fay Graydon
Lix Lorn
Partysan
SirDalyus
Tasroth

Accommodation:

EuroHostel Glasgow (http://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/glasgow) (Snowfire and Strawberries staying here, but it seems to be out of private rooms, only dormitory spaces available now)

Premier Inn (http://www.premierinn.com/) (Glasgow Argyle St and George Square closest).

Info on games to be edited in later.

The Succubus
2013-12-29, 11:24 AM
Yay! New thread!

I have to ask - is everyone okay with all the watery stuff that's been going on? I'm a little worried. :smallfrown:

Delusion
2013-12-29, 01:45 PM
Hey.
I'm not from UK but I want to try to attend this thing this summer (I blame Astrella for that) because everyone I know that has taken part has had a great time.

Because I am traveling from quite a far away, it would be better for me if the location was somewhere easily accessible with Airplane. I have all summer free apart from around 21.6 (midsummer, Finlands second most important holiday).

Anyway, can barely wait to meet all the awesome people of the playground ^^

FinnLassie
2013-12-29, 01:58 PM
Suggested locations: Erm... I think someone mentioned Glasgow as a possibility? I'm sure there are other options as well.

Hey! Glasgow is a very good option! No need for another!

Delusion: If I'm in Glasgow when the meet up is, of course, in Glasgow :smallwink: :smallwink: :smallwink: EEVERYBODY ROOT FOR GLASGOW, this Finn can accommodate another Finn.

Strawberries
2013-12-29, 02:00 PM
I'm rooting for Glasgow!
Alternatively, Edinburgh. But definitely up north. We said north in the summer, didn't we? :smallsmile:

CurlyKitGirl
2013-12-29, 02:15 PM
Ku and the rest of the Scottish contingent will be pleased by this. I'm up for going Very Oop North, yea, e'en unto the Dreaded Tundra of Scotland, but we'd have to decide quickly so that I can actually work up the nerve to book a plane.
Because twelve hours on a train will murder me. That said, I'm terrified of planes, so I'll probably end up on a damn train anyway.

Delusion
2013-12-29, 02:34 PM
Hey! Glasgow is a very good option! No need for another!

Delusion: If I'm in Glasgow when the meet up is, of course, in Glasgow :smallwink: :smallwink: :smallwink: EEVERYBODY ROOT FOR GLASGOW, this Finn can accommodate another Finn.

Well that is definately one point for Glasgow ^^
Thanks for the offer.

(Thoug now that I look into it, it seems that by some weird science flights to Glasgow are much more expensive than to London which i what I had based my calculations that I can come. Oh well, still most likely coming.)

The Succubus
2013-12-29, 02:51 PM
Delusion might be coming?! =O

YAAAAAAAY!

Delusion
2013-12-29, 02:56 PM
Delusion might be coming?! =O

YAAAAAAAY!

:smallredface: uhm yes?

*hides under a table.*

Castaras
2013-12-29, 03:58 PM
Depends on my finances at the time.

So long as there's a floor to collapse on I'll be able to go pretty much anywhere.

FinnLassie
2013-12-29, 04:48 PM
(Thoug now that I look into it, it seems that by some weird science flights to Glasgow are much more expensive than to London which i what I had based my calculations that I can come. Oh well, still most likely coming.)

Well you'll most definitely save up with not having to pay anything for accommodation and I'll probably cook for you too when needed. :smallsmile:

You can always fly to London and then take Megabus up to Glasgow, if you're up for an adventure. Train tickets can also be rather cheap if bought well in advance.

Delusion
2013-12-29, 05:00 PM
Well you'll most definitely save up with not having to pay anything for accommodation and I'll probably cook for you too when needed. :smallsmile:

You can always fly to London and then take Megabus up to Glasgow, if you're up for an adventure. Train tickets can also be rather cheap if bought well in advance.

Thats a good idea actually. Might not even take longer because most of the flights to Glasgow have that... (tries to remember English name for Välilasku.. fails...) that thing where they stop at an airport on the way and you have to change the planes?

Anyway, will start checking once date is decided.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-12-29, 05:12 PM
Thats a good idea actually. Might not even take longer because most of the flights to Glasgow have that... (tries to remember English name for Välilasku.. fails...) that thing where they stop at an airport on the way and you have to change the planes?

Layover? Transfer? Change? Something like that. However 'change' usually refers to buses, trains and the underground, so it's most likely to be layover.
*runs to Google translate to see if she was right*

Yep, 'stopover' appears to be the literal version(?), but the idiomatic English would be 'layover'.

Delusion
2013-12-29, 06:26 PM
Layover? Transfer? Change? Something like that. However 'change' usually refers to buses, trains and the underground, so it's most likely to be layover.
*runs to Google translate to see if she was right*

Yep, 'stopover' appears to be the literal version(?), but the idiomatic English would be 'layover'.

That appears to be the word yes ^^

Archonic Energy
2013-12-30, 12:40 PM
So... London.
:smalltongue:
I vote Glasgow. Or maybe John o groats.

The Succubus
2013-12-30, 12:42 PM
Mmmm. Glasgow would be a nice* change of scenery.

Archonic Energy
2013-12-30, 07:14 PM
nice use of an asterisk there. :smallamused:

Partysan
2013-12-31, 03:55 AM
If the date fits I'm considering to take the flight and join.

Strawberries
2014-01-01, 11:34 AM
Hey, Thufir, what happened to the list of previous threads in the first post?

Thufir
2014-01-01, 01:19 PM
Hey, Thufir, what happened to the list of previous threads in the first post?

I thought there was something I definitely didn't forget to put in how could you suggest such a thing.

factotum
2014-01-02, 03:21 AM
Think I'll have to give it a miss as well--I need to try and clear some debt this year, so all extraneous expenses are out.

eidreff
2014-01-05, 04:39 PM
After my previous abortive attempts to attend I am determined that I will get to one of these here UKiTP bashes. tell me where and when, and I will attempt to add further idiocy! :smallbiggrin:

lesser_minion
2014-01-05, 04:55 PM
Let slagging off of our various home cities commence!

I did go a little overboard last thread, didn't I?

Anyway, I'm aware of no reason why Glasgow might be a problem to get to from here.

Strawberries
2014-01-05, 05:01 PM

Anyway, I'm aware of no reason why Glasgow might be a problem to get to from here.

Now we just need somebody from the Scottish contingent to tell us if Glasgow is really feasible and if they would be up for organising it. :smallsmile:

Ku? Snowfire? Anybody else?

eidreff
2014-01-05, 05:26 PM
AVOID DONCASTER

that is all :smalltongue:

My home town is not an enjoyable place, even if Ivanhoe was based around our bestest castle, the rest is not worth the battle. honest :smallbiggrin:

FinnLassie
2014-01-05, 05:44 PM
Now we just need somebody from the Scottish contingent to tell us if Glasgow is really feasible and if they would be up for organising it. :smallsmile:

Ku? Snowfire? Anybody else?

I'm in Glasgow, and depending /when/ the meet up is, I'm willing to organise. I'd advise the meet up should not be during the commonwealth games, which is... ****, I don't even know when. All I know is, I'm definitely out of the country then. Must. Escape. Big. Events. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2014-01-05, 06:04 PM

Did you? I was just speaking generally.

factotum
2014-01-06, 02:54 AM
I'd advise the meet up should not be during the commonwealth games, which is... ****, I don't even know when.

23rd July to 3rd August, according to the website:

http://www.glasgow2014.com/

Strawberries
2014-01-06, 03:30 AM
So, when do schools and universities close, in the UK?

Let's do the Table of availability thing. I know it's early, but the sooner we organise dates and place, the cheaper and easier it is for those that have to move by plane!

Poster|Jun 7/8|Jun 14/15|(Jun 21/22)|(Jun 28/29)|Jul 5/6|Jul 12/13|Jul 19/20|Jul 26/27|Aug 2/3|Aug 9/10|Aug 16/17|Aug 23/24|Aug 30/31
Strawberries/Cream|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

I've put in brackets the weekends for which Glasgow is unavailable.

At the moment, as you can see, we're practically free all summer, family/work emergencies notwithstanding, of course. :smallsmile:

Delusion
2014-01-06, 03:41 AM
Poster|Jun 7/8|Jun 14/15|(Jun 21/22)|(Jun 28/29)|Jul 5/6|Jul 12/13|Jul 19/20|Jul 26/27|Aug 2/3|Aug 9/10|Aug 16/17|Aug 23/24|Aug 30/31
Delusion|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

Castaras
2014-01-06, 06:59 AM
Poster|Jun 7/8|Jun 14/15|Jun 21/22|Jun 28/29|Jul 5/6|Jul 12/13|Jul 19/20|Jul 26/27|Aug 2/3|Aug 9/10|Aug 16/17|Aug 23/24|Aug 30/31
Castaras|M|M|M|M|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

Can't really say for sure on a lot these, due to still not being certain whether I'll be moving house or dealing with other things.

factotum
2014-01-06, 07:22 AM
So, when do schools and universities close, in the UK?

Schools generally close around 22nd July and re-open at the beginning of September. Universities get longer.

FinnLassie
2014-01-06, 09:08 AM
Poster|Jun 7/8|Jun 14/15|Jun 21/22|Jun 28/29|Jul 5/6|Jul 12/13|Jul 19/20|Jul 26/27|Aug 2/3|Aug 9/10|Aug 16/17|Aug 23/24|Aug 30/31
FinnLassie|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|M|N|N|N|N|N|Y

KuReshtin
2014-01-08, 06:06 AM
I approve of Glasgow being a suggested venue for the Summer 2014 meetup.
Maybe we could try to see if one of the universities has venues available to acquisition for a weekend.

Train/bus/flight connections are very decent from pretty much anywhere in the UK to Glasgow, and also from other places in Europe.
KLM, for instance flies out of Glasgow to Amsterdam and beyond, while EasyJet flies from London, Bristol, Amsterdam and Berlin to Glasgow.

My table of availability is a bit up for grabs at the moment, as I'm not sure if I will be going back to Sweden at some point over the summer, but at the moment it looks a bit like this:

Ku|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y

Partysan
2014-01-08, 09:58 AM
Only one weekend no go for me. Dates liable to change if I can't get Friday off though, so the sooner we have a date the better the chances.

Party|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

FinnLassie
2014-01-08, 10:08 AM
Maybe we could try to see if one of the universities has venues available to acquisition for a weekend.

Train/bus/flight connections are very decent from pretty much anywhere in the UK to Glasgow, and also from other places in Europe.
KLM, for instance flies out of Glasgow to Amsterdam and beyond, while EasyJet flies from London, Bristol, Amsterdam and Berlin to Glasgow.

We cooooould like, sort of, maybe get a room booked at my Uni's Union under our RPG society's name (I mean, there's a few people on the forum that are members of said soc :smalltongue:), but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'll check up on it though and use my charming club secretary skills too.

Flying to Edinburgh is an option too, especially now that there's a direct bus from the airport to Buchanan Bus Station. Return's like only 12 quids.

KuReshtin
2014-01-08, 10:33 AM
We cooooould like, sort of, maybe get a room booked at my Uni's Union under our RPG society's name
I like the sound of that possibility.

I'll check up on it though and use my charming club secretary skills too.
Sounds like there's a fairly good chance of that working out, then. I have all the confidence in you getting that sorted. :smallwink:

Flying to Edinburgh is an option too, especially now that there's a direct bus from the airport to Buchanan Bus Station. Return's like only 12 quids.
Definitely a possibility as well, yes.
Getting to Glasgow isn't too difficult.

Castaras
2014-01-08, 10:33 AM
We cooooould like, sort of, maybe get a room booked at my Uni's Union under our RPG society's name (I mean, there's a few people on the forum that are members of said soc :smalltongue:), but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'll check up on it though and use my charming club secretary skills too.

Well, if it's anything like my university union it should be fine (it's what I did for the Leicester meetup!). Just put it as a "Gaming event for non-members" and put it as a publicity event. :smallbiggrin:

Strawberries
2014-01-08, 05:53 PM
Yay for plans being made! :smallsmile:

If it IS Glasgow, Cream and I may take another couple of days off work and hang around town for a bit... maybe even go visit somewhere else in Scotland. So, I second the idea of sorting out date and venue quickly, so we can book holidays before anybody else in the office does. :smallcool:

Capt Spanner
2014-01-10, 08:38 AM
Spanner|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N(1)|N|?(2)|Y

(1) Nine Worlds Con (https://nineworlds.co.uk/) - you should all go :smallwink:

(2) Depends on Edinburgh Fringe Festival performance dates.

FinnLassie
2014-01-10, 08:45 AM
FinnLassie|M|M|M|M|M|M|M|N|N|N|N|N|Y

I have to change my June and July to maybe as I just realised it's not guaranteed I'm able to get a job to support myself in Scotland for the summer or get accommodation for that time. :smallsigh:

Strawberries
2014-01-10, 03:26 PM
Hmmm...so far, looks like Aug 30-31 is the only date with a definite Y for everybody....

The Succubus
2014-01-10, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, if it's going to be later in the year, maybe see if folks want a small meet up in May somewhere?

FinnLassie
2014-01-10, 05:20 PM
I might be able to turn the early June weekend into a yes, it's just that 6th is the day our lease ends in this flat but I'll probably still be in Glasgow for an extra week after that before going to Finland ... in case I don't get a job & flat. I'll probably know about the whole job thing when I actually start looking for one when my back gets in shape.

Also, I realised that using our student Union will be a no no, as on Saturdays they don't have security in, so no students in either (our RPG club used to meet up on Saturdays back in the day but for that reason it's been moved to Friday night). Another room somewhere in the University might work though. Will get into that later this month when we actually start running the club again for this semester. Good thing is that the uni's in the city centre, so no need to go to that dingy ol' West End. :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Hrmhmhmhm...
*strokes beard*

Teddy
2014-01-12, 02:59 PM
So, I've been planning to attend this meetup, either as a standalone event, or as a part of my planned Tour de Friends (if the latter happen, I need to work up the courage to open a thread about this soon). I won't be available before July, though, thanks to the Steampunk Festival (http://steampunkfestival.se/) and all the work leading up to it...

Teddy|N|N|N|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

I know it's early, but the sooner we organise dates and place, the cheaper and easier it is for those that have to move by plane!

This isn't entirely true. Flights are actually the cheapest ~1 month before the travel date if you avoid popular flight dates. I'm not very sure about how true this is for the summer, but I heard of this as a general rule, and have observed it to be true for, well, this week actually...

FinnLassie
2014-01-12, 03:20 PM
This isn't entirely true. Flights are actually the cheapest ~1 month before the travel date if you avoid popular flight dates. I'm not very sure about how true this is for the summer, but I heard of this as a general rule, and have observed it to be true for, well, this week actually...

I feel like nowadays getting flights is such a gamble. I like to check flight prices just for fun from different locations to popular and unpopular locations, right now for summer, and man they're expensive... But I'd say is because those flights that I looked at were for July - the busiest travel month.

Cheap airlines... I'd say, earlier, the better. The prices just climb and climb and climb up the closer the date gets, and usually don't go down at all.

Then again, I'm flying to Finland in what, 2-3 weeks and it's costing me much less than 200 euros... and I'll be flying with a cheap-o-airline-o.

Strawberries
2014-01-16, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, if it's going to be later in the year, maybe see if folks want a small meet up in May somewhere?

I would DEFINITELY be up for it. :smallsmile:

DarkCorax
2014-01-26, 12:03 PM
If it does end up being in Glasgow I should be able to make any week. I can also probably help out with organisation and floorspace.

Corax|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

Sir Enigma
2014-02-09, 11:48 AM
Well, I've recently invaded the UK, so I'd be interested in joining as well (subject to dates working out - last week in June/first week in July will probably not work, as well as a work commitment TBD)

Archonic Energy
2014-02-28, 09:55 AM
I have the overwhelming urge to suggest that next summer we ALl attend the trogland meet. With the hope that the foreigners outnumber the Americans.

FinnLassie
2014-02-28, 10:17 AM
Right now it seems like June 7th/8th is the best for me. Last weekend in would be fine otherwise, but as my placement had to be moved there and I'll likely be occupied the previous weekend with my best friend's wedding (that I would need to get a day off for, so attending it isn't a given yet..), nope. I would really have to use that weekend for lesson planning and such.

*bangs head on desk*

smellie_hippie
2014-03-04, 02:54 PM
I have the overwhelming urge to suggest that next summer we ALl attend the trogland meet. With the hope that the foreigners outnumber the Americans.

This. Very much this. :smallbiggrin:

You pull this off, and I will brew entire batches of English Bitter and um... oh... whatever the hell else it is you drink.

Oh, almost forgot... *stab*

Mercenary Pen
2014-03-05, 04:56 AM

You pull this off, and I will brew entire batches of English Bitter and um... oh... whatever the hell else it is you drink.

I believe the word you were failing to recall was tea:smallamused:

smellie_hippie
2014-03-05, 10:30 AM
I believe the word you were failing to recall was tea :smallamused:

Oh yeah... that's right. Y'all fancy a cuppa "not coffee".

*scratches head in confusion* :smallconfused:

@V You mean a hotel? Like the one we utilized last year for gaming room and most guests stay?

Archonic Energy
2014-03-05, 01:45 PM

Find me a multi room villa near JC.

Edit: never mind
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/tennessee/johnson-city/r16567

Dallas-Dakota
2014-03-05, 04:32 PM
Split this castle (http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p460100vb)twelveways...The cost is is actually very doable....:smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2014-03-06, 11:22 AM
so, does that mean I can count you in then DD?

Dallas-Dakota
2014-03-06, 02:00 PM
Maybe, if it doesn't interfere with my graduation ceremony.

Aside from the graduation party that I have planned...Visiting Trogland and it's meet-up would be one awesome way to celebrate me graduating from college and my 21st birthday.:smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2014-03-06, 02:58 PM
I might, stressing might here, be able to fit it in my economics for 2014. Maybe. If so, I have no special time when I can't come, not that I'm aware of.

Archonic Energy
2014-03-06, 03:10 PM
Maybe, if it doesn't interfere with my graduation ceremony.

Aside from the graduation party that I have planned...Visiting Trogland and it's meet-up would be one awesome way to celebrate me graduating from college and my 21st birthday.:smallbiggrin:

I promise to bring whisky as old as you.

lesser_minion
2014-03-13, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure I can manage any weekend this summer, as long as I know which weekend it is some time in advance so I can book time off.

Corax|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y
lesser_minion|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

Archonic Energy
2014-03-31, 12:55 PM
so...

were we done with the table? :smallsigh:

Teddy
2014-03-31, 12:56 PM
so...

were we done with the table? :smallsigh:

I'd be happy to know too. I need a date for my travel planning...

FinnLassie
2014-03-31, 02:41 PM
All I remember is that the first full weekend of June and last weekend of August were the most popular dates.

I can't do the last of August myself, as I'm on placement and need time for planning (it would work otherwise, but I'm travelling to Finland to my best friend's wedding on the previous weekend, so I'll be skint and have no time after that).

Fay Graydon
2014-03-31, 02:43 PM
Just sayin, pick a date, And I shall come! :D

(Ye gods its been so long since I've logged in :smallbiggrin:)

Castaras
2014-03-31, 03:01 PM
PosterJun 7/8Jun 14/15Jun 21/22Jun 28/29Jul 5/6Jul 12/13Jul 19/20Jul 26/27Aug 2/3Aug 9/10Aug 16/17Aug 23/24Aug 30/31
Strawberries/CreamYYYYYYYYYYYYY
DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY
CastarasMMMMMMMMMMMMM
FinnLassieMMMMMMMNNNNNY
KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY
PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY
SpannerYYYYYYYYYN(1)N?(2)Y
TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY
CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY
lesser_minionYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I saved the table from doooom! :smallbiggrin:

Everyone who's done this so far can most likely do Jul 5/6 or Aug 30/31. Or Jul 19/20.

Fay Graydon
2014-03-31, 03:08 PM
OH, I just remembered, since no location seems to have been decided on, May I suggest Manchester?

FinnLassie
2014-03-31, 03:08 PM
Castaras, you're a star. :smallbiggrin:

PosterJun 7/8Jun 14/15Jun 21/22Jun 28/29Jul 5/6Jul 12/13Jul 19/20Jul 26/27Aug 2/3Aug 9/10Aug 16/17Aug 23/24Aug 30/31
DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY
CastarasMMMMMMMMMMMMM
FinnLassieYMMMMNNNNNNNN
KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY
PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY
TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY
CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Updated the list, I won't be available in July at all. Might be able for the first weekend though.... Life is a bit of a mess right now. I need to know where I'm living for the summer before I decide anything. DAMN IT PERSON ON SPAREROOM RESPOND TO MY INTEREST IN YOUR FLAT.

Fay Graydon: We were heavily going for Glasgow, and it was largely agreed on. Depending on the time, I can probably sort out space from our uni for the meet up.

Snowfire
2014-04-01, 07:43 AM
And somehow I missed this. How the hell did that happen?

So, first off, very much voting for Glasgow as a venue. It's actually somewhat close to where I live and it should be well within my economics to make it there. Timing though...that's what becomes a bit more interesting. I'm going up to Shetland (yes, the blasted moonscape islands so far north that you can grab the North Star with your bare hands) at some point during August and the date isn't quite ironed out yet. That said though, it's the first few weeks of the month (I think) we're planning on going, so I could do the weekend of the 30/31st.

DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY

CastarasMMMMMMMMMMMMM

FinnLassieYMMMMNNNNNNNN

KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY

PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY

TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY

CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SnowfireMMMMMMMMNNNYY

Fay Graydon
2014-04-01, 08:04 AM
CastarasFay Graydon: We were heavily going for Glasgow, and it was largely agreed on. Depending on the time, I can probably sort out space from our uni for the meet up.

Awww maaaan means I have to travel! but sure okay I'm down with that :smalltongue: Pretty much up for any date

KuReshtin
2014-04-02, 05:30 AM
Awww maaaan means I have to travel!
I wonder what it's like having to travel to get to a meetup...

Oh, wait! I've done that for about all of the meetups I've ever attended, which is a majority of them. Going to be nice to only have about 40 minutes to get to the meetup for a change, instead of the usual 5-6 hour drive. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

I will be bringing the Firefly board game to this meetup. And the DiscWorld: Witches special collector's edition (well, it's still shrinkwrapped and unused, so I might decide to just leave it like that). Only two-ish months to go!!

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 05:56 AM
I know at this point it would probably be best if we did a poll on the most likely dates picked out from the list... I'm just worried to vote on anything myself as I don't know where I'll be living June 6th onwards. =/ *whacks at people putting ads on Spareroom as early bird SO I HAVE TO PAY IF I WANT TO CONTACT THEM ASAP AAARGH*

KuReshtin
2014-04-02, 06:49 AM
I know at this point it would probably be best if we did a poll on the most likely dates picked out from the list... I'm just worried to vote on anything myself as I don't know where I'll be living June 6th onwards.

Weekend of June 6th would likely be better for me, personally, but since it's basically in my back yard as it is, I'm good for pretty much any weekend.

Fay Graydon
2014-04-02, 07:04 AM

Well having no car I basically have to make a pilgrimage by train ;~; unless someone who IS planning on driving could swing by Manchester and pick me up? :smalltongue: *looks hopeful*

I will be bringing the Firefly board game to this meetup. And the DiscWorld: Witches special collector's edition (well, it's still shrinkwrapped and unused, so I might decide to just leave it like that). Only two-ish months to go!!

Awesome! I could bring any of the following:
Munchkin
Munchkin Conan
Munchkin Apocalypse
Zombies!!!
Cards against Humanity (Maybe if my boyfriend lets me)
D&D 2nd Edition boxed starter

Castaras
2014-04-02, 07:08 AM
Well, my proposal is the weekend of July 5/6. That's got all Yeses and Maybes. That good for everyone (especially those who can organise it in Glasgow?).

And regarding maybes - I should be able to do any weekend, the limiting factor is whether I have the money spare, which I'm not going to know until June most likely.

Snowfire
2014-04-02, 07:10 AM
Well, my proposal is the weekend of July 5/6. That's got all Yeses and Maybes. That good for everyone (especially those who can organise it in Glasgow?).

Works for me, albeit that I'm not someone who can organise it in Glasgow.

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 07:42 AM
I'm ok with organising as long as I have someone to support me, although we might not be able to get space from the uni in the middle of the summer like that, but I suppose there'll be other spaces available... Even though I am now secretary, future treasurer of the RPG club. If there's people in town I bet a few of the club members would be interested in joining a GitP meet up, therefore justifying it as a club event of sorts... *strokes imaginary long beard*

Not making much sense today...

Snowfire
2014-04-02, 07:48 AM
I'm ok with organising as long as I have someone to support me, although we might not be able to get space from the uni in the middle of the summer like that, but I suppose there'll be other spaces available... Even though I am now secretary, future treasurer of the RPG club. If there's people in town I bet a few of the club members would be interested in joining a GitP meet up, therefore justifying it as a club event of sorts... *strokes imaginary long beard*

Not making much sense today...

That makes pretty much perfect sense actually :smallwink:

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 07:51 AM
That makes pretty much perfect sense actually :smallwink:

It might make sense to you, but not to me. :smalltongue:

I guess it also helps that another forum member is also in next year's committee for the RPG soc, and the new committee becomes almighty come July.

Snowfire
2014-04-02, 08:00 AM
It might make sense to you, but not to me. :smalltongue:

I guess it also helps that another forum member is also in next year's committee for the RPG soc, and the new committee becomes almighty come July.

Ooooh, it's one of those days. I get it!

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 08:10 AM
Ooooh, it's one of those days. I get it!

Yeah. I'm not understanding myself at all today. I probably should, because I just typed a response to a flatshare ad and I feel so dorky. :smalleek:

ENEYHOOS. Everyone's happy with Glasgow, good.
We shall be waiting for people to say if the first weekend in July is any good.

KuReshtin
2014-04-02, 08:11 AM

Tell the sword-weilding Canadian to get his butt in here to weigh in on the conversation...
Or are you talking about another forum member???

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 08:16 AM
Tell the sword-weilding Canadian to get his butt in here to weigh in on the conversation...
Or are you talking about another forum member???

I literally went what the hell when I read this message, pffha.

I don't think he has any Canadian blood in him. I'll poke him to hop in.

Dvil
2014-04-02, 08:49 AM
Well I live in Glasgow, I'm a forum member, I'm a future committee member of the RPG club, and I'm armourer of the Kendo club. Pretty sure I'm not Canadian though. Not even a little, sorry.

I would be willing to help organise a meetup though!

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 08:58 AM
Well I live in Glasgow, I'm a forum member, I'm a future committee member of the RPG club, and I'm armourer of the Kendo club. Pretty sure I'm not Canadian though. Not even a little, sorry.

Yeah, sure, just keep on apologising. It won't help a thing. NOT A THING! *runs off to corner to cry*

In all seriousness, booyah. LET'S ROCK THIS BOAT DVIL.

KuReshtin
2014-04-02, 09:13 AM
I literally went what the hell when I read this message, pffha.

I don't think he has any Canadian blood in him. I'll poke him to hop in.

I know Dvil isn't Canuckistanian. Was more thinking of Dom, before I realised he was moving to Stirling or something a while back.

Start organising then. :smalltongue:
And I know you're not Canadian. You're from Englandshire somewhere.. Like Cumbria, or geordieland or Brummieland or something.. :smallwink:

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 09:14 AM
I know Dvil isn't Canuckistanian. Was more thinking of Dom, before I realised he was moving to Stirling or something a while back.

I hate to break it to you, but Randypants isn't Canadian either. :smalltongue: And he's still here in Glaswegistan.

Dvil
2014-04-02, 09:19 AM
Yeah, sure, just keep on apologising. It won't help a thing. NOT A THING! *runs off to corner to cry*

I mean, I could... I dunno I could try to be Canadian. Maybe just once a week or something. Would that be better?

Snowfire
2014-04-02, 09:20 AM
I mean, I could... I dunno I could try to be Canadian. Maybe just once a week or something. Would that be better?

Nope. It's an all or nothing thing.

randman22222
2014-04-02, 09:22 AM
Casual Wednesdays, Canadian Fridays. It could work. And why have I been summoned? What? Meetup in Glasgow? Hell yeah count me in!

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 09:23 AM

Oh, Dvil. You just don't understand. You can't fix it. What has been done is done.

Really, has it become a weekly thing for me to find a way to blame you for everything?

Dvil
2014-04-02, 09:28 AM
Oh, Dvil. You just don't understand. You can't fix it. What has been done is done.

Really, has it become a weekly thing for me to find a way to blame you for everything?

I think it became that long ago. I'm used to it by now.

Archonic Energy
2014-04-02, 10:47 AM

Oh, wait! I've done that for about all of the meetups I've ever attended, which is a majority of them. Going to be nice to only have about 40 minutes to get to the meetup for a change, instead of the usual 5-6 hour drive. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

GORRAM IT!

I just bought that and was planning on bringing it up with me.

FinnLassie
2014-04-02, 11:01 AM
Well having no car I basically have to make a pilgrimage by train ;~; unless someone who IS planning on driving could swing by Manchester and pick me up? :smalltongue: *looks hopeful*

Awesome! I could bring any of the following:
Munchkin
Munchkin Conan
Munchkin Apocalypse
Cards against Humanity (Maybe if my boyfriend lets me)

Are you comfortable with taking a bus? I've done Glasgow-Manchester with National Express, and the only thing I can say is that don't take the night one, we had to stop at some point because some lads started fighting. :smalleek:

- MUNCHKIN YAAHAHAHAHAHAH! I have Star Munchkin. Best Munchkin games are formed when random different sets are combined. I'd appreciate the Conan, I've been drooling over it in the local games shop but haven't dared to buy... :smallbiggrin:
- I'm thinking about purchasing CAH and maybe an extra set, so you might not have to bring it.

Delusion
2014-04-02, 02:16 PM
Did I understand this right and the meetup will be July 5/6? ^^

Works perfectly for me I think.

Astrella
2014-04-02, 02:20 PM
I'd like to come, but I don't know how feasible it'll be money wise and I'm also having a lot of issues with school and my mental health.

Fay Graydon
2014-04-03, 06:21 AM
Are you comfortable with taking a bus? I've done Glasgow-Manchester with National Express, and the only thing I can say is that don't take the night one, we had to stop at some point because some lads started fighting. :smalleek:

- MUNCHKIN YAAHAHAHAHAHAH! I have Star Munchkin. Best Munchkin games are formed when random different sets are combined. I'd appreciate the Conan, I've been drooling over it in the local games shop but haven't dared to buy... :smallbiggrin:
- I'm thinking about purchasing CAH and maybe an extra set, so you might not have to bring it.

Could do, I would have to plan everything out VERY carefully, you know the whole not wanting to be forced to sleep on a bench over night to get the next bus in the morning yadda yadda yadda. But at the moment I am thinking Bus or Train :3
Assuming I dont get lost :smalltongue:

I had my (ex)local toymaster get in things like Munchkin and Zombies for me :P

KuReshtin
2014-04-03, 08:19 AM
I hate to break it to you, but Randypants isn't Canadian either. :smalltongue: And he's still here in Glaswegistan.

Well, the sword wielding part was right, at least. Right? Right?

Casual Wednesdays, Canadian Fridays. It could work. And why have I been summoned? What? Meetup in Glasgow? Hell yeah count me in!

Sorry for calling you Canuckistanian, randy. I must have had you confused with someone else. Perhaps I was thinking about Gwyn Chan'Gwyllrlch (or whatever he calls himself). However, this means another attendee for the meetup.

Huzzah!!

GORRAM IT!

I just bought that and was planning on bringing it up with me.

Muahahaah!! Then again, now you'll have some extra spare room in your travel bag.
I'll also have a Special 10th Anniversary edition of Ticket to Ride (US map) by that time. Well, hopefully. If Days of Wonder gets it shipped before then.

CurlyKitGirl
2014-04-03, 10:03 PM
Oh God, everything's so different; the threads look like they're made of PMs and the layout and buttons're different! And I missed out on my birthday thread for this?! :P

So yeah, I'll be attending, pending a job/traineeship.
Though I'm lazy: when are where exactly in Scotlandland are we meeting?

Le sigh. Fourteen plus hours on the train. If the line's repaired by then, stupid face storms breaking things.
Let me look things up.
Because I can only (currently) book trains in June, let's do that. Okay . . . cheapest fare for [home] to Glasgow is a twenty-four hour total journey costing . . . £143.50.
. . .
Okay. Can I get floor space please and thank you?

If I go buy National Express Coach I completely shatter my back and comfort on a thirty-seven hour round trip, and it costs £86.50.
Still want floor space, please and thank you.

Or I could fly from Newquay. It's a ten(ish) hour round flight for £150 odd. And would involve me flying for the first time ever. And changing at airports. For the first time ever. And working myself into a right lather as I still panic getting a bus home from the nearest city even though I've done it year in, year out.
Still want floor space, please and thank you.

Because I'm literally travelling from the other end of the mainland here.
None of these options actually look all that nice now that I look at them . . . :frown:

factotum
2014-04-04, 01:45 AM
If the line's repaired by then, stupid face storms breaking things.

Coincidentally, they reported on the news this morning that the line has been repaired and normal train services in Cornwall resume today, so that, at least, isn't an issue. (£143 for a round trip sounds more like it might be one, though! :smalleek:).

Fay Graydon
2014-04-04, 08:41 AM
OWCH! £143 :smalleek: thats a lot! I don't want to see how much is gunna cost me :smallfrown:

CurlyKitGirl
2014-04-04, 01:39 PM
Coincidentally, they reported on the news this morning that the line has been repaired and normal train services in Cornwall resume today, so that, at least, isn't an issue. (£143 for a round trip sounds more like it might be one, though! :smalleek:).

Oh good, now I just have to stare at prices. Although . . . did I put my railcard on? Here's hoping I forgot.
. . .
Nnnnnope.

I could theoretically get Megabus to London, then a train from London to Glasgow.
That's £20 for a return bus ticket. And . . . £37 for a return from London Victoria to Glasgow (http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/VIC/GLC/200614/1930/dep/230614/2130/dep). Because it's an overnight train.
That's much more feasible, though given the bus from home leaves at five a.m. and arrives about half one in the afternoon the times aren't the best.
No matter which why I slice it it seems I'm in for twenty-four hours plus of travelling.

OWCH! £143 :smalleek: thats a lot! I don't want to see how much is gunna cost me :smallfrown:

You mainland UK? In that case: less than me.

Snowfire
2014-04-04, 02:06 PM
I could theoretically get Megabus to London, then a train from London to Glasgow.
That's £20 for a return bus ticket. And . . . £37 for a return from London Victoria to Glasgow (http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/VIC/GLC/200614/1930/dep/230614/2130/dep). Because it's an overnight train.
That's much more feasible, though given the bus from home leaves at five a.m. and arrives about half one in the afternoon the times aren't the best.
No matter which why I slice it it seems I'm in for twenty-four hours plus of travelling.

Yeah, but an overnight train is a lot more feasible then a bus. I mean, the seats on them are actually marginally comfortable for long distances.

SirDalyus
2014-04-04, 02:22 PM
What's this? Playgrounder's In my home town? Sign me up for this! I can make anytime, though I can't help out with accommodation.

FinnLassie
2014-04-04, 02:30 PM
Could do, I would have to plan everything out VERY carefully, you know the whole not wanting to be forced to sleep on a bench over night to get the next bus in the morning yadda yadda yadda. But at the moment I am thinking Bus or Train :3
Assuming I dont get lost :smalltongue:

I had my (ex)local toymaster get in things like Munchkin and Zombies for me :P

If you book early enough the train shouldn't be so expensive. :smallsmile: I flew from Manchester to Finland last summer and took the bus to Manchester and the train back. The train cost me 20 quid, and the bus about 7 squidwards.

I've never heard of Zombies. How's it like? Any good?

Well, the sword wielding part was right, at least. Right? Right?

Dunno. I wouldn't call fencing wielding, but then again, I dunno, my brain is exploding right now. :smallbiggrin:

What's this? Playgrounder's In my home town? Sign me up for this! I can make anytime, though I can't help out with accommodation.

Welcome to the bunch. :smallamused:

Curlywurlywoowoo, you need a place to stay at right? I've already promised to accommodate Delusion, but if my future flatmate is ok with it, I can try and get you stay at my place too.

lesser_minion
2014-04-04, 03:28 PM
That was just the new format breaking things and not me somehow posting a broken table from the outset without noticing, right?

Anyway, July 5th - 6th sounds good to me. I'll start looking into travel/accommodation arrangements now.

Teddy
2014-04-04, 03:59 PM
Dunno. I wouldn't call fencing wielding, but then again, I dunno, my brain is exploding right now. :smallbiggrin:

I'm a bit unsure about how you intend to fence without wielding a something to fence with... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

FinnLassie
2014-04-04, 04:11 PM
That was just the new format breaking things and not me somehow posting a broken table from the outset without noticing, right?

Anyway, July 5th - 6th sounds good to me. I'll start looking into travel/accommodation arrangements now.

Castaras saved the table and fixed it. It's on the previous page.

Woooo!

I'm a bit unsure about how you intend to fence without wielding a something to fence with... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

I literally imagined you and randman fighting with legitimate fences. Like, the ones you put on the side of the house. :smallamused:

Teddy
2014-04-04, 05:33 PM
I literally imagined you and randman fighting with legitimate fences. Like, the ones you put on the side of the house. :smallamused:

http://i.imgur.com/rcxULF7.png
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/AirMarshalTeddy/Scribbles/Fencing_zpscc28ff02.png~original

(I just had to put Randman's streetlight in there as well, it just wouldn't be him otherwise. http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

Thufir
2014-04-04, 06:35 PM
Oh God, everything's so different; the threads look like they're made of PMs and the layout and buttons're different! And I missed out on my birthday thread for this?! :P

So yeah, I'll be attending, pending a job/traineeship.

You! You still exist! I was just the other day wondering why you hadn't been on the forums in a month and considering texting to ask except you probably wouldn't have got it because your phone's never on.

And I think I now know all my commitments, so I can fill in the table. Also the table now has lines, because I much prefer it that way.

DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY

CastarasMMMMMMMMMMMMM

FinnLassieYMMMMNNNNNNNN

KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY

PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY

TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY

CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SnowfireMMMMMMMMNNNYY
ThufirYMNYYYYYYNNYY

Castaras
2014-04-04, 07:43 PM

DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY

FinnLassieYMMMMNNNNNNNN

KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY

PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY

TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY

CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SnowfireMMMMMMMMNNNYY
ThufirYMNYYYYYYNNYY

I was going to edit in when I couldn't make it, but I've realised that I won't know until the very close to the date - so deleted myself from the table (and made it pretty).

Thufir
2014-04-04, 08:08 PM
I was going to edit in when I couldn't make it, but I've realised that I won't know until the very close to the date - so deleted myself from the table (and made it pretty).

But the lines! What have you done with my lines?!

Castaras
2014-04-05, 05:42 AM
No lines for you. :smallamused: Mwahahaha!

Strawberries
2014-04-06, 01:46 AM
Yay meetup!
If it ends up being June 5/6, I can make it, but Cream can't, so I'll separate our names.

StrawberriesYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CreamYYYYNNYYYYNNY

DelusionYYNYYYYYYYYYY

FinnLassieYMMMMNNNNNNNN

KuYYYYYNYYYYNYY

PartyYYYYYYYNYYYYY

TeddyNNNNYYYYYYYYY

CoraxYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SnowfireMMMMMMMMNNNYY
ThufirYMNYYYYYYNNYY

Delusion
2014-04-20, 01:05 PM
*pokes the thread*

So is this going to be the July 5/6? Because if so I need to start booking flights ^^

FinnLassie
2014-04-20, 01:46 PM
Well, as one of the people organising I'm going heavy on yes for 5.-6.7.

Delusion, are you planning on coming over just for the weekend?

Delusion
2014-04-20, 01:55 PM
Depends, my parents are pressuring me to stay for few etra days to sightsee, and I don't think its a bad idea.

Not sure of exact plans yet.

FinnLassie
2014-04-20, 02:50 PM
Depends, my parents are pressuring me to stay for few etra days to sightsee, and I don't think its a bad idea.

Not sure of exact plans yet.

Ok. I'm planning on flying back to Finland on the 7th or 8th, so if you decide to do a bit of sightseeing before the meet up then you can bunk at my place for a bit longer. :smallsmile:

Sgt. Cookie
2014-04-20, 02:57 PM
Hm. From where I am, I can pick up a train ticket to Glasgow for about 13 quid, so, maybe.

Strawberries
2014-04-21, 10:35 AM
I'm absolutely in favour of July 5/6th. I'll probably come up by train, though...

So, Glasgow people, what's the situation, hotel-wise, near the station?

FinnLassie
2014-04-21, 11:20 AM
Hum hum, there's plenty of Premier Inns around the city centre, then next to the station there is Alexander Thomson hotel which I went to in December 2012, average, really... Euro Hostel does private rooms.

Strawberries
2014-04-21, 01:43 PM
Hum hum, there's plenty of Premier Inns around the city centre, then next to the station there is Alexander Thomson hotel which I went to in December 2012, average, really... Euro Hostel does private rooms.

Well, depending where the meetup ends being, a hotel near the venue could be a good idea as well.
As usual, I'd prefer booking where all the other Playgrounders end up staying. :smallsmile:

Any idea what the venue could end up being?

FinnLassie
2014-04-21, 05:48 PM
Not sure yet about the venue. I think me and Dvil will start discussing about it next week as I've got plenty to worry about at this very moment, but we're hoping to get space booked from the uni/union (Strathclyde, so central location). If not, I expect us staying in the city centre.

KuReshtin
2014-04-22, 03:59 AM
Ok, so if it's at the Strathclyde uni, it's very much in the City Centre.
Just off of George Square (as seen in World War Z, but without the Zombies).

Ibis Hotel, located at West Regent Street, is pretty decent and is only about a 10-15 minute walk from the Strathy Uni. Ibis website is blocked for me at work, so I can't check rates at the moment.

Best Western is located on Elmbank Street, which is around the corner from the Ibis, so about 10-15 minute walk to the Strathclyde Uni. Current prices for Best Western might be prohibitive, though, as Friday-Saturday night stay would end up at about £200/room for the two nights at current rates.

The Succubus
2014-05-04, 02:33 PM
Can anyone offer me a room in Glasgow? The trainfare up is going to hit my wallet pretty hard and I'm unemployed atm. >.> I can probably stretch to a hotel if I have to but if someone can offer me a room, I can reach a fiscal understanding with them.

So just to confirm - it's the weekend of the 4th July to the 6th/7th July?

Thufir
2014-05-04, 04:48 PM
Any update on venue?

FinnLassie
2014-05-04, 05:57 PM
Nope. Sorry, it's exam time and at least I'm swamped with work until the 19th. I'll poke Dvil tomorrow to see if he's able to phone up the uni. Is it just Saturday we'd need facilities for, or Friday night as well?

Strawberries
2014-05-05, 11:50 AM
I would say Saturnday, as Friday night is mostly going to be meeting up / grab something to eat / maybe some gaming in the hotel?

Ashtagon
2014-05-05, 02:36 PM
It's that time of year again, The Piazza is now six years old as a forum, to which I say, "good grief". But I digress...

Main event page: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12104 <- Any updates will be posted here first.

Saturday 24th May: Face to face pub meet at a pub in central London (exact pub tbc), starting from 12pm-ish. At some point will will adjourn for a side trip to Orc's Nest and Forbidden Planet. Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/301277693364564/

Sunday 25th May: Live chat all day. I will be hanging out in a chat room hosted by The Piazza. Exact URL will be announced closer to the date. Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/630783643682016/

Custom user titles: On Sunday, I will create a thread on The Piazza. The first six replies with a request for a custom user title will get their request fulfilled.

Strawberries
2014-05-05, 04:26 PM
I will have to pass this time. The 24th of May my brother brother in law comes visiting from Italy. Have fun, though, I really enjoyed it last year!

Big Mac
2014-05-05, 05:01 PM
I will have to pass this time. The 24th of May my brother brother in law comes visiting from Italy. Have fun, though, I really enjoyed it last year!

It was great meeting you last year, Strawberries. Maybe you can come to The Piazza's 7th Birthday thing.

FinnLassie
2014-05-05, 05:14 PM
Right, Dvil's going to contact the uni tomorrow. What kind of a time frame should we aim to ask for? I don't know how positive they'd be about giving us space beyond 7/8/9pm on a Sat night, if it's even possible at all.

If uni doesn't work, we need to start looking at different pubs and other meeting spaces with Doyveil..

Dvil
2014-05-06, 01:08 PM
Ok folks, here's the situation as it stands. Currently we're looking to get university rooms for free/cheap. The way we plan to do this is by presenting the meetup as being an event hosted by our RPG society. Now, I have an email saved in my drafts to send to room bookings, but I'm holding off on it until the president of our RPG society says he's ok with that plan. Ought to be sent tomorrow I'd expect.

EDIT:
Ok, el presidente has replied. Good news and bad here. The good news is that he's spectacularly on-board with the idea. Loves it, can't get enough of it. Bad news is he wants to meet up on Thursday to really properly discuss things so this email may be delayed a day or two. I'll keep you all posted.

FinnLassie
2014-05-06, 04:59 PM
Dem room booking shenannigans, sounding nice.

We're expecting at least a few non-forum rpg club members to show up too I'd say.

KuReshtin
2014-05-07, 02:36 AM
Ok folks, here's the situation as it stands. Currently we're looking to get university rooms for free/cheap. The way we plan to do this is by presenting the meetup as being an event hosted by our RPG society. Now, I have an email saved in my drafts to send to room bookings, but I'm holding off on it until the president of our RPG society says he's ok with that plan. Ought to be sent tomorrow I'd expect.

EDIT:
Ok, el presidente has replied. Good news and bad here. The good news is that he's spectacularly on-board with the idea. Loves it, can't get enough of it. Bad news is he wants to meet up on Thursday to really properly discuss things so this email may be delayed a day or two. I'll keep you all posted.

Great news in deed. Good job.

Dem room booking shenannigans, sounding nice.

We're expecting at least a few non-forum rpg club members to show up too I'd say.

Oh, I'll try to grab a few of my local non-forum gamers to come along as well to this.

FinnLassie
2014-05-07, 03:34 AM
To be fair I have no idea how to make all the club members call me Finn instead of my real name on the night. :smallconfused:

Castaras
2014-05-07, 03:46 AM
'tis always a mix of real names and screen names at the meetups anyway. :smalltongue:

Most likely won't be able to make it, though I'm still gonna try. Around the time of the meet I still don't know if I'll need to be searching for new accommodation or not, and if I do then all my money's going to be going towards rent. :smallsigh:

banjo1985
2014-05-07, 03:47 AM
I shall be at the meet up in spirit, yet again, this year. I have honestly been to one, I do actually exist. :smalleek:

However, if anyone is planning to attend the UK Games Expo in Birmingham at the end of the month, then I may be able to say howdy. :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2014-05-07, 05:11 AM
I shall be at the meet up in spirit, yet again, this year.
BOO!!! :smallannoyed:

I have honestly been to one, I do actually exist. :smalleek:
I can vouch for this. I have met the Banjo.

However, if anyone is planning to attend the UK Games Expo in Birmingham at the end of the month, then I may be able to say howdy. :smallsmile:
I would have gone down to Birmingham this year again if it hadn't been for my mother and sister coming over to visit me that weekend. Maybe next year.

FinnLassie
2014-05-07, 08:53 AM
'tis always a mix of real names and screen names at the meetups anyway. :smalltongue:

I'm not comfortable with people online knowing my real name if I'm behind a nickname.

FinnLassie
2014-05-08, 01:20 PM
UPDATE ON VENUE:

We have discussed with the Students Union folk, and it seems like we would be able to rent out space from the Union Building itself! However, this doesn't come free to us. Booking one of the big rooms from 11am to 9pm would cost £112. As we're going to probably advertise this meet up for club members and hope for some to join, we might be able to get a little funding from the club (didn't actually discuss about how much, but I'd say 20-30 quid).

We're still having Dvil and our club president ask a couple of other places, but that'll happen tomorrow. Still, it kinda looks like the Union might be the best option.

I'd therefore like to enquire if meet-uppers would be willing to pitch in 4/5 quidders to cover for the costs of the venue. The folk at the union said that since there's non-uni members coming in, it'd probably be the best that if we want to charge a bit of money from folk coming in, they'd set up a ticket purchase page for us where people could get them online.

Pros about the Union:
- likely the cheapest thing you can get in Glasgow on a Saturday
- City centre location, basically walking distance from any hotel
- I dunno we are the best

Cons:
- Well, it still costs money.
- All drinks must be bought from the Union, you're not allowed to bring your own liquids. Might be the same case with food. Forgot to ask. We are able to put a pre-order in for the drinks though. *shrug*

Other things:
We looked at the club cupboard and there is a copy of the OotS game as well as the regular ol' Munchkin... ... and a lot of more stuff that I forgot to take a note/picture of.

Strawberries
2014-05-08, 01:38 PM
I've got no problems with pitching in a bit.

Also, if I come up by myself (i.e. if it is 6th/7th July) I wouldn't be adverse to share an hotel room with somebody, if anybody is interested.

Partysan
2014-05-08, 01:43 PM
I might not be coming after all. It's not out of the question, but in case of conflict for now disregard me in all considerations please.

Teddy
2014-05-08, 01:52 PM
I'll gladly pay for myself. http://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png

FinnLassie
2014-05-08, 01:59 PM
I've got no problems with pitching in a bit.

Also, if I come up by myself (i.e. if it is 6th/7th July) I wouldn't be adverse to share an hotel room with somebody, if anybody is interested.

5th/6th, as 7th would be Monday already.

Strawberries
2014-05-08, 02:02 PM
Ooops... :smallredface:

KuReshtin
2014-05-09, 03:46 AM
I have no problems pitching in for venue hire if need be. If it's only £110-120 for the entire day, and there's about 20-ish of us, that's only be, as you said, about a fiver each, so that's not bad at all.

The food/drink restriction as given by the Union is pretty standard. I don't think there are a whole lot of places that will allow you to bring your own food and drink if they sell it themselves.

FinnLassie
2014-05-09, 04:06 AM
I have no problems pitching in for venue hire if need be. If it's only £110-120 for the entire day, and there's about 20-ish of us, that's only be, as you said, about a fiver each, so that's not bad at all.

The food/drink restriction as given by the Union is pretty standard. I don't think there are a whole lot of places that will allow you to bring your own food and drink if they sell it themselves.

Yeah. To be fair, it's a rather recent rule, so I don't really know. :smalltongue:

Well, the Union said it'd be nice if we let them know today if we want to book it since they're doing the rotas now, but I guess I'll see if more people answer? Or? Blarfh? *shakes people*

Snowfire
2014-05-09, 04:16 AM
Assuming I can make it, which I think I can (Strawberries, I'd be up for sharing a room), the Union sounds great to me.

I'll need to finalise my own plans pretty soon as the trains are beginning to get booked out - happens surprisingly fast for trips to Glasgow, but then I'm more used to the Aberdeen services which are almost always open - but looks like it should all be possible even given that.

KuReshtin
2014-05-09, 05:08 AM
Well, the Union said it'd be nice if we let them know today if we want to book it since they're doing the rotas now, but I guess I'll see if more people answer? Or? Blarfh? *shakes people*

If you book it, we will come. :smallcool:

Strawberries
2014-05-09, 05:31 AM
I'm with Ku on that, book it, and I'm sure nobody will have a problem with it (especially if it is one of the cheapest options we're likely to get) :smallsmile:

Assuming I can make it, which I think I can (Strawberries, I'd be up for sharing a room), the Union sounds great to me.

Yay ! I'll be absolutely up for that. :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2014-05-09, 06:03 AM
I'm with Ku on that, book it, and I'm sure nobody will have a problem with it (especially if it is one of the cheapest options we're likely to get) :smallsmile:

Also, considering that people will be paying for travel to get to Glasgow, I'm sure an extra fiver won't completely bankrupt them. It's the cost of a few pints at the bar, and it will both last longer and give more joy than two pints. :smallwink:

FinnLassie
2014-05-09, 06:31 AM
Dvil's currently in the process of getting a call back from a pub that might be a cheaper option.

Dvil
2014-05-09, 03:26 PM
Good morning sports fans! Right, I phoned a pub earlier today and they quoted me £25 per day for a pub in the city centre. It has a private back room (which is what we'd be using) with a capacity of 50-60 people, and it's right over the road from a FLGS (in case you urgently need to buy something). Also the food there is much better than the union.

The downside is that they tend to have jazz sessions and a ceilidh on in the main bar area every Saturday, and I've no idea how sound-proofed the function room is.

Personally I'm leaning towards this pub, mainly for cost and atmosphere reasons. What do y'all think though?

FinnLassie
2014-05-09, 03:29 PM
We should probably ask about the noise levels, aye aye.

Snowfire
2014-05-09, 03:37 PM
I will admit to having little issue with either jazz or ceilidh music, however it would probably be wise to check for noise levels. If they're not too bad though, then I too will hop aboard team pubmobile.

FinnLassie
2014-05-09, 03:53 PM
And I would probably go and join the ceilidh for a wee while and enjoy the jazzy tunes.. :smalltongue:

Tbh, if it's too loud, I have to say nay as I've started to have some problems with hearing again.

Thufir
2014-05-09, 07:06 PM
Yeah, cheaper is better, and as background noise goes, jazz or ceilidh music are pretty good options.
Plus I imagine the pub would let us stay later.

Teddy
2014-05-10, 03:36 AM
Perhaps anyone of you could try and drop by tonight and ask if you can inspect the room while they're playing at the main area to see the sound levels. Not that I think it'll be all too much of an issue, but still... http://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png

Strawberries
2014-05-10, 03:50 AM
Jazz or ceilidh music would be a plus for me. :smallsmile:

FinnLassie
2014-05-10, 04:05 AM
The pub's only 2 minutes away from where I live, but I'm too busy with assignments to go down and check it out. I might get sucked into a ceilidh and forget to return...

Castaras
2014-05-10, 06:25 AM
Oooo, a Ceilidh? I'll have to bring one of my floofy skirts and join in... :smallbiggrin:

Delusion
2014-05-11, 03:28 AM
I may have trouble with using my "new" voice if the noise levels are too loud.

Strawberries
2014-05-11, 08:12 AM
The music will be an issue only late in the evening though, will it? I doubt the session starts at 11 am...

...based on most pubs with function rooms I've seen around, my guess is that we should be fine. Of course, that's just a guess and local people will be the best to confirm that. :smallsmile:

Snowfire
2014-05-11, 08:18 AM
The music will be an issue only late in the evening though, will it? I doubt the session starts at 11 am...

...based on most pubs with function rooms I've seen around, my guess is that we should be fine. Of course, that's just a guess and local people will be the best to confirm that. :smallsmile:

Sessions are generally evening things, but if there're jazz sessions in the afternoon leading into a ceilidh it'll probably not be totally quiet. Then again I can stand jazz music, and function rooms are generally pretty well designed to let no more sound than reasonable through.

Considering a venue seems to be in the offing though, what are thoughts/advice on accommodation at this point?

FinnLassie
2014-05-11, 08:29 AM
Jazz session is on at 2pm, and ceilidh's at 8pm, so... Yeah, the ceilidh is pretty much into the evening, and I don't think the jazz will be like a loud as heck rock concert... :smalltongue: Dvil is phoning the place again tomorrow to ask about the noise levels. We'll probably get the place for both Saturday and Sunday if people still want to get the game on before they have to leave. :smallwink: 50 quid ain't that bad. For reference, this is the venue. (http://www.avantgardemusicbar.co.uk/)

As for places to stay, there's plenty of hotels and hostels in the city centre. The best hostel I can recommend is Eurohostel since it's so damn close to everything and only about 11 quid a night (and I've been there a few times, get your earplugs in and your sleep will be sweet in case someone's too loud). Premier Inns are alright. I also recommend checking deals on Tripadvisor and such websites, some places might have good offers.

Strawberries
2014-05-11, 08:42 AM
I'm afraid I have a sliiight phobia about sleeping in dormitories and sharing bathrooms with total strangers... but it seems like the Eurohostel does single, double and/or four people en suite rooms, so that could be a solution for me. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also, I quite like the venue.

FinnLassie
2014-05-11, 08:54 AM
I'm afraid I have a sliiight phobia about sleeping in dormitories and sharing bathrooms with total strangers... but it seems like the Eurohostel does single, double and/or four people en suite rooms, so that could be a solution for me. :smallsmile:

I've never actually stayed with strangers in Eurohostel, once alone in a double room (they're about 40 quid a night I think), once with mum in a "twin" that was basically a room with just one bunk bed, and once in a 4 bunk room. You get what you pay for, there's continental breakfast, but honestly, it's not bad. Eurohostel also gives some discount if you're a student or like their Facebook page.

I haven't been there myself, but have walked past it several times as it's on my way to the shops and looks very nice. I'm glad Dvil pointed the place out, I would have never considered it.

KuReshtin
2014-05-12, 08:08 AM
That place looks pretty damned good.
I wouldn't think that the Jaz and ceilidh would be too intrusive, since the private rooms for most places are separate from the main hall and at least partially sound proofed so that the private parties won't be too disturbed by the shenanigans of the other activities.

Also a good spot considering it's just across the street from Static games, so close to getting some additional games and such.

FinnLassie
2014-05-12, 08:18 AM
Dvil has just been in contact with Avant Garde, and we shall be spending our meet up there. :smallsmile: He'll be going in there this week to pay the booking fee in advance, which will to my knowledge come to 50 quid for the weekend. That means we all don't have to pitch in that much. So everyone, get on booking yer hotels! :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2014-05-12, 10:03 AM
*heads over to hotel booking website*

Hmm.. Wait a minute.:smallconfused:
I don't need to book a hotel.:smallbiggrin:
I live only an hour away. :smallcool:
Only the second meetup ever that I've been able to attend without having to spend £150+ to attend. YAY!!

Archonic Energy
2014-05-13, 11:10 AM
*heads over to hotel booking website*

Hmm.. Wait a minute.:smallconfused:
I don't need to book a hotel.:smallbiggrin:
I live only an hour away. :smallcool:
Only the second meetup ever that I've been able to attend without having to spend £150+ to attend. YAY!!

well since we don't want you to feel this isn't a real meet I vote that you pay for the whole shindig. including bar tabs... :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2014-05-14, 05:08 AM
well since we don't want you to feel this isn't a real meet I vote that you pay for the whole shindig. including bar tabs... :smalltongue:

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but I'll graciously decline that offer. I have a feeling I need to save that money for next year.

Snowfire
2014-05-14, 10:22 AM

A private twin room from the 4th-6th of July at the Eurohostel will come in at £28 each, and my train tickets are coming in at wonderfully low prices. If I'm not mistaken travel and accommodation for this meet is going to cost less than my travel down to London.

Can we make being this far north more regular? Please? :smalltongue:

Strawberries
2014-05-14, 10:27 AM
Snowfire, that's fantastic! Do you want to book or should I?

Snowfire
2014-05-14, 10:29 AM
Snowfire, that's fantastic! Do you want to book or should I?

If you can hold off until tomorrow, I can see about getting that Friday off so I can come down in the morning. At which point it probably defaults to "who gets into Glasgow first".

But that definitely looks like a plan (I'll just have to dig up some earplugs...I know I have some somewhere).

Dvil
2014-05-14, 12:16 PM
Hey again folks! So, the venue has been paid for, by yours truly. It amounted to £50 for the weekend, so if you wouldn't mind all handing me a quid or two throughout the weekend to pay for it that'd be champion.

Also, I was thinking about the Friday night. Who reckons they'd be able to get to Glasgow early enough to socialise with the other playgrounders? Just wondering if it's worth planning some sort of meal out or something.

Strawberries
2014-05-14, 12:30 PM
If you can hold off until tomorrow, I can see about getting that Friday off so I can come down in the morning. At which point it probably defaults to "who gets into Glasgow first".

But that definitely looks like a plan (I'll just have to dig up some earplugs...I know I have some somewhere).

I'll try to be on half day at work, but as I'm coming up from Derby, you'll probably get there first. :smallsmile:

Snowfire
2014-05-14, 12:47 PM
I'll try to be on half day at work, but as I'm coming up from Derby, you'll probably get there first. :smallsmile:

Unless I get free at five. In which case I'd be getting in around eight pm. Hopefully I'll be able to escape a bit earlier though (hoping to do some extra stuff this month to exchange for that, just will need to make sure of it tomorrow).

Teddy
2014-05-14, 01:02 PM
Hey again folks! So, the venue has been paid for, by yours truly. It amounted to £50 for the weekend, so if you wouldn't mind all handing me a quid or two throughout the weekend to pay for it that'd be champion.

Also, I was thinking about the Friday night. Who reckons they'd be able to get to Glasgow early enough to socialise with the other playgrounders? Just wondering if it's worth planning some sort of meal out or something.

No problem! http://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png
Problem... How do I pay you?! http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

Also, as a sidenote, I've had it explained to me now, but you might want to know that the term "quid" doesn't really exist outside of Britain. At least not in this part of outside of Britain... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

factotum
2014-05-14, 02:01 PM
Also, as a sidenote, I've had it explained to me now, but you might want to know that the term "quid" doesn't really exist outside of Britain. At least not in this part of outside of Britain... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.png

Well, to be fair, a slang word for our currency is a lot more useful *in* Britain than it is outside it. :smallwink:

Teddy
2014-05-14, 03:49 PM
Well, to be fair, a slang word for our currency is a lot more useful *in* Britain than it is outside it. :smallwink:

A fair point indeed, but a point which doesn't help much when you try to communicate amounts of money to a group which partially consists of foreigners... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/FZ6yI9l.png

FinnLassie
2014-05-14, 06:58 PM
A fair point indeed, but a point which doesn't help much when you try to communicate amounts of money to a group which partially consists of foreigners... http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/FZ6yI9l.png

You're in the minority as a foreigner-that-is-not-residing-in-theUK, Nalle, I already explained it to you so no whiney whine. :smallamused: *lures with blueberries*

Teddy
2014-05-15, 02:36 AM
You're in the minority as a foreigner-that-is-not-residing-in-theUK, Nalle, I already explained it to you so no whiney whine. :smallamused: *lures with blueberries*

Hehehe... http://i.imgur.com/FZ6yI9l.png

*follows delicious blueberries*

Dvil
2014-05-15, 04:33 AM
Well, Teddy, looks like I'm going to have to spend the next two months practicing my slang until it's second nature to me. By the time the meetup rolls around, less than 10% of my vocabulary will be from the dictionary. I hope you're happy.

Castaras
2014-05-15, 08:59 AM
Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee, ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
Tha's bahn' to catch thy deeath o' cowd
Then us'll ha' to bury thee
Then t'worms'll come an' eyt thee up
Then t'ducks'll come an' eyt up t'worms
Then us'll go an' eyt up t'ducks
Then us'll all ha' etten thee
That's wheear we get us ooan back

:tongue:

KuReshtin
2014-05-16, 02:37 AM
*pokes Thufir to change the first post*

Snowfire
2014-05-16, 07:24 AM
So I now have the Friday of the meetup free, which means I should be able to come down earlier in the day. Earliest possible time of arrival is quarter past one - with the more likely one being an hour after that as tickets are far more restricted on the earlier service.

So, Strawberries, I'm assuming that means I'll be getting into Glasgow first :smalltongue:

Dvil
2014-05-16, 07:28 AM
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
Tha's bahn' to catch thy deeath o' cowd
Then us'll ha' to bury thee
Then t'worms'll come an' eyt thee up
Then t'ducks'll come an' eyt up t'worms
Then us'll go an' eyt up t'ducks
Then us'll all ha' etten thee
That's wheear we get us ooan back

:tongue:

One Sunda morn young Lambton went
A-fishing in the Wear;
An' catched a fish upon he's heuk
He thowt leuk't vary queer.

But whatt'n a kind ov fish it was
Young Lambton cudden't tell-
He waddn't fash te carry'd hyem,
So he hoyed it doon a well

Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,
An' aa'll tell ye aall an aaful story,
Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,
An' Aa'll tel ye 'boot the worm.

Noo Lambton felt inclined te gan
An' fight i' foreign wars.
He joined a troop ov Knights that cared
For nowther woonds nor scars,

An' off he went te Palestine
Where queer things him befel,
An varry seun forgat aboot
The queer worm i' tha well.

There's more, but I don't want to fill up the thread.

Strawberries
2014-05-16, 09:40 AM
So I now have the Friday of the meetup free, which means I should be able to come down earlier in the day. Earliest possible time of arrival is quarter past one - with the more likely one being an hour after that as tickets are far more restricted on the earlier service.

So, Strawberries, I'm assuming that means I'll be getting into Glasgow first :smalltongue:

The best I can do that Friday is being on half a day, so it's a fair assumption. :smallsmile:

Do you want to book the room?

Teddy
2014-05-16, 10:54 AM

Awww, cliffhanger... http://i.imgur.com/xVZ2F1e.png

Snowfire
2014-05-16, 11:15 AM
The best I can do that Friday is being on half a day, so it's a fair assumption. :smallsmile:

Do you want to book the room?

Booked and confirmed. There was only a single twin room left when I checked from my phone, at which point I just booked it.

£56 for two nights, paying on arrival :smallsmile:

Aotrs Commander
2014-05-16, 04:05 PM
It's probably only a miniscule chance (especially because I never think if these things until the eleventh hour) but if anyone happens to be going to the Triples wargames show over the weekend, I will be putting our (that is the KB Club, our little wargames group) usual show game/demo/thing/wosit on (sci-fi 144th with 3D printed gubbins).

Dvil
2014-05-17, 03:26 AM
Awww, cliffhanger... http://i.imgur.com/xVZ2F1e.png

Well, if you really want to hear the end... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKcVyJjXFk#t=4m16s)

Archonic Energy
2014-05-18, 04:00 PM

a "quid" is one of those pink notes. :smallbiggrin:

Strawberries
2014-05-18, 04:16 PM
Booked and confirmed. There was only a single twin room left when I checked from my phone, at which point I just booked it.

£56 for two nights, paying on arrival :smallsmile:

Awesome! :smallsmile:

Are you alright with me giving you my share when I arrive? Otherwise I'm sure I can find some way to get it to you before.

Teddy
2014-05-18, 04:17 PM

My thoughts immediately go to the pink post-it notes one of the other groups have put up on the wall next to their table in our project room... http://i.imgur.com/rcxULF7.png

Snowfire
2014-05-18, 05:12 PM
Awesome! :smallsmile:

Are you alright with me giving you my share when I arrive? Otherwise I'm sure I can find some way to get it to you before.

When you get there is fine :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2014-05-19, 04:49 AM

It's not pink.. It's green.
http://www.rampantscotland.com/SCM/rbs1.jpg

Archonic Energy
2014-05-19, 05:44 AM
It's not pink.. It's green.
http://www.rampantscotland.com/SCM/rbs1.jpg

http://www.columnist.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/scottish_hundred.jpg
pink. :smallamused:

FinnLassie
2014-05-19, 05:47 AM
http://www.columnist.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/scottish_hundred.jpg
pink. :smallamused:

Aye, but lad, that's nay quid, it's a hundred. :smallwink:

factotum
2014-05-19, 06:42 AM
I think the joke was that he was going to persuade Teddy that a "quid" is £100 and thus get a lot more money out of him... :smallwink:

FinnLassie
2014-05-19, 07:31 AM
Nah, I think we'd better talk about squids if we want to fool Nalle. :smallwink:

Thufir
2014-05-19, 08:09 AM
*pokes Thufir to change the first post*

*Changes first post into a newt*

Don't worry, it'll get better.

Archonic Energy
2014-05-19, 09:46 AM
Just booked my flights and work holiday.

Mark me as maybe.

Also: why the smeg is it cheaper to fly than train? An 8 hrs bus is... beyond my patience.

Durkoala
2014-05-22, 04:42 PM

The lambton Worm? :smalleek::smallbiggrin: That is such a great tale.

Edit: Thanks so much for the video:smallbiggrin:

Delusion
2014-05-23, 02:14 AM
Hey Finnlassie, did you get my reply to your pm? :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2014-05-23, 05:22 AM
The subject has been brought up to me that there might be the possibility for a Magic: the Gathering Draft to happen during the meetup.

There's a brand new draft-optimised set coming out in the next few weeks (Conspiracies) that we might be able to track down a booster box for to use for the draft, or, if we can't get hold of that, I should be able to source a booster box of Born of the Gods.

Who would be up for that, either on the Saturday or the Sunday?

Teddy
2014-05-23, 01:39 PM
Hey Finnlassie, did you get my reply to your pm? :smallsmile:

Finn's on an adventure right now. Depending on when you sent it, I think the answer is maaaybe. http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png

The Succubus
2014-05-24, 06:58 AM
Hey folks - I'm still hunting for some floor space at the meet up or maybe sharing a room. If anyone can help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thufir
2014-05-26, 09:11 PM
I updated the first post a bit. Need to put in the section on what games people are bringing - give me lists, and mention any more organised things like RPG sessions etc that you may have in mind. And also the section on accommodation - give me links (This is also important because I need to book my own accommodation).

Also, some people who said they were pretty much definitely coming are still listed as maybes if they haven't posted in the thread recently. If this is you, please confirm!

KuReshtin
2014-05-27, 03:08 AM
I can bring the following games:

Ticket to Ride: Europe
SmallWorld (Possibly Underground and the Tunnels expansions as well)
Nuclear War
Firefly: The board game
Ankh Morpork: A DiscWorld game
The Witches (Another DiscWorld game)
Guards! Guards! (Another other DiscWorld game)
Viking Fury
Braggart
Dixit
Carpe Astra
It's Alive!
The Resistance
Carcassonne
Bohnanza
Cthulhu Gloom
Munchkin
Super Munchkin

And I'm sure I've got a bunch more at home, just sitting around that I can't think of right now.
I won't bring all of them, though, so people's preferences would be appreciated as to what they might want to play.

FinnLassie
2014-05-27, 04:27 AM
Accommodation:

EuroHostel Glasgow (http://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/glasgow) (Snowfire and Strawberries staying here)

Premier Inn (http://www.premierinn.com/) (Glasgow Argyle St and George Square closest, George Square seems to have a cheap offer for 39 quid a night right now for that weekend).

Uh, I really don't know about other lodging around here.

Strawberries
2014-05-27, 12:45 PM
So, I booked half a day off work for Friday. Which means I'll only be late, not spectacularly late. :smallsmile:

Archonic Energy
2014-05-27, 02:02 PM
I can bring the following games:

Ticket to Ride: Europe
SmallWorld (Possibly Underground and the Tunnels expansions as well)
Nuclear War
Firefly: The board game
Ankh Morpork: A DiscWorld game
The Witches (Another DiscWorld game)
Guards! Guards! (Another other DiscWorld game)
Viking Fury
Braggart
Dixit
Carpe Astra
It's Alive!
The Resistance
Carcassonne
Bohnanza
Cthulhu Gloom
Munchkin
Super Munchkin

And I'm sure I've got a bunch more at home, just sitting around that I can't think of right now.
I won't bring all of them, though, so people's preferences would be appreciated as to what they might want to play.

Starcraft? :smallamused:

Dvil
2014-05-28, 02:19 PM
I have dominion, smallworld, arkham horror and chaos in the old world. No expansions. Also I live in glasgow so if anyone else has these, might as well save yourself the car/luggage space

FinnLassie
2014-05-30, 06:23 AM
Went to have lunch in Avant Garde with SO yesterday. Was nice. Two main courses only 10 squidballs. Mmh.

lesser_minion
2014-05-31, 03:51 AM
OK, I've negotiated time off work, but I'll have to leave quite early on the Sunday.

I haven't booked any sort of accommodation yet, so I'm open to going halves on a twin room, if anyone else is procrastinating as badly as I am.

Alternatively, does anyone local happen to have any floorspace I could crash on on the Friday and Saturday night?

The Succubus
2014-05-31, 06:57 PM
Managed to get a room sorted. ^^

Thufir
2014-06-01, 10:05 AM
OK, so I think I've PMed everyone who expressed interest earlier in the thread but hasn't posted in it so recently, to check there's still a possibility of them coming and to remind them to make arrangements if so. Anyone else I should ask? Old suspects more recently absent but who might still be interested? All I can think of are the people who consistently fail to turn up, like Nameless and Jibar.

Asta Kask
2014-06-01, 11:21 AM
Sadly, my finances and feline obligations do not permit me leaving Sweden at that point. :smallfrown:

KuReshtin
2014-06-02, 05:14 AM
If anyone is pressed to find accommodation and don't mind sleeping on a slightly busted, but very passable sofa-bed mattress for a few nights, and also don't mind having Archie sleeping on the actual sofa-bed next to them (the sofa-bed has it's own mattress, just to clarify) I can offer that.
Initial (tentative) plans had Teddy possibly staying, and Archie dibsed floor space about last September or something, but since teddy has found accommodation elsewhere*, it's freed up a space at mine.

*Possibly because he got wind of Archie challenging him to a duel to the death for the sofa-bed.

Castaras
2014-06-02, 05:18 AM
I'm going to have to step out of this I'm afraid. Was getting round to booking train tickets and the price was too much for me to handle on my current finances. You guys have fun without me!

The Succubus
2014-06-02, 01:49 PM
If anyone is pressed to find accommodation and don't mind sleeping on a slightly busted, but very passable sofa-bed mattress for a few nights, and also don't mind having Archie sleeping on the actual sofa-bed next to them (the sofa-bed has it's own mattress, just to clarify) I can offer that.
Initial (tentative) plans had Teddy possibly staying, and Archie dibsed floor space about last September or something, but since teddy has found accommodation elsewhere*, it's freed up a space at mine.

*Possibly because he got wind of Archie challenging him to a duel to the death for the sofa-bed.

I'd put money on Archie winning that duel. :smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2014-06-02, 01:53 PM
I think there'll be room in Kurre's place in terms of where Teddy's staying, as Delusion and him will be residing in my bodoir. :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2014-06-03, 03:18 AM

TO THE DEATH!

I did have a plan to fly out to where they filmed that famous fight scene in TOS and hire a band to play the fight music.

It was unfeasible.

lesser_minion
2014-06-03, 04:39 PM
Ku, mind if I take you up on that offer of floor space? Archie isn't a problem, I've shared a room with him before.

KuReshtin
2014-06-05, 02:56 AM
Ku, mind if I take you up on that offer of floor space? Archie isn't a problem, I've shared a room with him before.

No worries.

KuReshtin
2014-06-09, 04:34 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to update the list of games I can bring to include the following:

Vikings and Beer
Ticket to Ride - 10th Anniversary Special Edition

edit: Oh, and Monopoly - Swedish version. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2014-06-09, 09:28 AM
edit: Oh, and Monopoly - Swedish version Style. :smallbiggrin:

Like Moose meat and Swedish Ladies?

sorry I was hearing that in some cooks voice and i had to fix it.
Starcraft? :smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2014-06-09, 11:50 AM
How's everyone with accommodation and stuff? All booked, all good?

I have to warn you Delusion & Teddy, bring your ear plugs with you. Living on High Street has its pros and cons. :smalltongue:

In case someone's brining the OotS game: Don't. We have it in the RPG club's cupboard. I have to go and check what else we have, too... And also ask around the club if they want to join our fun. :smallamused: Hnyeh nyeh.

KuReshtin
2014-06-09, 04:46 PM
Like Moose meat and Swedish Ladies?

sorry I was hearing that in some cooks voice and i had to fix it.
Starcraft? :smalltongue:

If you really want me to bring the StarCraft board game I will.

SWEDISH STYLE!!!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p403x403/1972243_715616218483429_1017322605_n.jpg

The Succubus
2014-06-11, 03:32 AM
I've just watched a few episodes of ROSMT. It's great - I love the idea of using a power drill to whip cream. Maybe I should see about getting a miniature Viking axe for the Koala.....

SirDalyus
2014-06-13, 02:36 PM
If It helps, I have two (allegedly) comfy sofa beds that people are more than welcome to sleep on for the weekend.

Archonic Energy
2014-06-14, 05:34 AM
If you really want me to bring the StarCraft board game I will.

can we pick up where we left off last game?

Thufir
2014-06-14, 08:32 AM
can we pick up where we left off last game?

You mean, trying to figure out the rules?

Archonic Energy
2014-06-14, 09:56 AM
You mean, trying to figure out the rules?

we were at least a turn and a half in. :smallwink:

Teddy
2014-06-14, 10:32 AM
I was going to offer to take Race for the Galaxy with me, but then I realised that I would have to literally lug it halfway around the world. Twice. http://i.imgur.com/ZRHtTJs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/rcxULF7.png

FinnLassie
2014-06-20, 06:14 AM
Just a couple of weeks left! Which one of yous is excited? :smallwink:

Gnomvid
2014-06-20, 07:30 AM
If anyone is still looking for crash space I have a not very comfortable sofa bed, a more comfortable sofa and 1 or 2 air mattresses available In Greenock not quite as far away as Ku.

FinnLassie
2014-06-20, 12:01 PM
SirDalyus and Gnomvid, would you consider yourselves definitely coming since you're both offering accommodation? :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2014-06-21, 06:43 AM
SirDalyus and Gnomvid, would you consider yourselves definitely coming since you're both offering accommodation? :smallbiggrin:

Gnomvid will definitely be there. I'll make sure of it.

FinnLassie
2014-06-21, 07:44 AM
Gnomvid will definitely be there. I'll make sure of it.

Are you gonna use some good ol' viking ways, tying him up and dragging him along the shore?

KuReshtin
2014-06-21, 03:07 PM
Are you gonna use some good ol' viking ways, tying him up and dragging him along the shore?

Considering he's a work colleague of mine, I'm sure I can find some way to get him to come along. Maybe a bribe of some sort.

SirDalyus
2014-06-22, 10:53 AM
I would consider myself defineitly coming, yes :smallbiggrin:

Snowfire
2014-06-22, 03:03 PM
As we swiftly accelerate past the two week mark, my thoughts turn to the subject of baking. My current plan is to do brownies again (because why shift away from a known favourite), however the meetup thread this time has no allergy information.

So are there any allergies I need to be made aware of? Dairy is easy to deal with, so if that's all we've got, yay! If you're gluten intolerant I may branch out and make something else as well however, because the gluten-free flour blend does something weird to the texture of brownies and I can't bring myself to do that to them a second time.

Dvil
2014-06-22, 03:30 PM
I am not allergic to anything. Except guinea pigs, so please don't use them on your baking.

Also, who will be around on the Friday night? Do you guys want to do something, like a meal out? Just so I can organise things if necessary.

FinnLassie
2014-06-22, 04:21 PM
I'm allergic to bull****! :smalltongue: *prepares for rotten tomatoes*

Lactose intolerant and IBS, so kind of gluten-unfriendly. I am no longer dairy allergic for that matter. *shakes fist at IBS*

If I'm not ill (unlikely :smallyuk:), I'll be baking some cinnamon rolls.

EDIT: why did I miss Dvil? Is it because it's always his fault?

Me and my two host-ees (how does one spell) are probably open for munchies somewhere. Let me tell you, the Russian place near where the meet up will be is awesome. Wiink wink wink.

Teddy
2014-06-22, 04:39 PM
EDIT: why did I miss Dvil? Is it because it's always his fault?

Me and my two host-ees (how does one spell) are probably open for munchies somewhere. Let me tell you, the Russian place near where the meet up will be is awesome. Wiink wink wink.

I'll definitely be up to it, yes... http://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png

Snowfire
2014-06-22, 05:02 PM
I'm in Glasgow, assuming that the trains run right, at quarter past two. So I'd be up for munchies in the evening, with the caveat that I might have to run and let Strawberries into our accommodation depending on timing.

On that note, do you still have my number Strawberries (it's still the same as it was for the Derby meet)? And do you know when you get into Glasgow?