PDA

View Full Version : i have heard pf is prc multiclass vunfriendly

CyberThread
2013-12-29, 02:07 PM
What is it about the system that makes others say that. If it Is an extensIon of 3.5

Zanos
2013-12-29, 02:13 PM
Many of the base classes now have (usually) powerful class features that scale with level that PrCs and multiclassing will not progress, typically making PrCs a suboptimal choice to things like archetypes.

Actually having class features is a good thing, but the designers are aware that taking PrCs is almost always a weaker option and don't care to fix it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-29, 02:31 PM
A number of thitngs combine to create an overall atmosphere of prc/multi classing being lackluster.

1. Favored class bonuses; +1 hp or skill point per level isn't much, but it's something. More importantly some specific class/race combos give much better things.

2. Base Classes give more things; this means that full spell progression and any class ability isn't a no brainer, ditto for things like advances monk unarmed strike, or just giving better than a feat equivalent every other level for fighters.

3. The prestige classes just aren't as good. Generally lackuster and ery few good 1 level dips.

4. Some of it's new Base classes have no real PrC options. As far as I know nothing progresses Eidolon for Summoner, Hexes for Witch or Extracts or Bomb damage for Alchemists.

5. Kind of an extension of #2, but Archetypes give mechanically interesting and flavorful customization options at level one, which is a very good thing. The downside is they further lock you into the Base Class and don't branch out as you level.

Drachasor
2013-12-29, 05:06 PM
To expand on Vecna's #3, very few PrCs are worthwhile to take for 1 level or 10 levels. They really are very lackluster in many ways. They have features that don't scale well at higher Character Levels. They have features that do very little. They have features that you can already do something close to or get there with a feat. Etc, etc.

A lot of them also have really awful feat prerequisites -- which is doubly bad if there's already a way to do the same thing using a feat. If not that, then it is awful story-based prereqs that are overly restrictive.

Wizards don't get their two free spells per level anymore in PF for no clear reason.

So with the lack of progression of class abilities, poor abilities to replace them, lack of favored class bonuses, need for crappy prerequisites....and all you get out of it are mediocre benefits? Why bother? There's not really any reason to.

There are some decent or even good PrCs. But the vast majority of the PF PrCs are garbage. It's definitely a far higher ratio of crap than 3.5 had.

Faily
2013-12-29, 05:08 PM
Hand_of_Vecna pretty much covered it.

Expanding a bit on his #5, imho, I feel that the Archetypes in Pathfinder is like getting a toolkit box for a Prestige Class... all nice and wrapped up for you to unpack and have fun with from level 1. In 3.5, Prestige Classes is what you picked up to make your character stand out, or do one thing better. In Pathfinder, Archetypes fulfill that role more, and Prestige Classes have become more akin to what the title insinuates: classes of prestige. Like the Holy Vindicator, which is a prestige for holy warriors to aspire to. Or the Dragon Disciple, an extreme manifestation of the Draconic bloodline.

Multiclassing is "technically" friendlier in Pathfinder, as there is no penalties for multiclassing as we had in 3.5, but you are awarded more for sticking to your Favored Class through Favored Class bonuses (and Favored Class is not determined by your race, as in 3.5, but rather by the class you choose it to be).

BWR
2013-12-29, 05:31 PM
The designers wanted to make base classes more useful and tempting all the way from 1 through 20. They wanted to avoid making prestige classes something everyone tries to get into ASAP. They definitely wanted to avoid the dipping craze that is 3.5.
Prestige classes are suppose to be presitgious, rare, unusual and grant abilities that don't really work as mere arcehtypes.
I think they did what they set out to do.

Personally, I much prefer it this way. The dip craze in 3.5 just rubbed me the wrong way, and the idea of prestige classes being generally less a matter of special training and more something you can just pick up at will, and that PrC fluff restrictions seem to be almost universally ignored: it just really grated.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-29, 05:59 PM
I don't think they accomplished anything of the sort. Instead of being a Wizard/Swiftblade/Abjurant Champion, you're a Hungry Ghost Qinggong Master of Many Styles Monk. Or a Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus. Or an Oathbound Sacred Servant Paladin. Builds are just as convoluted and complex as before, you're just juggling archetypes instead of PrCs.

Serafina
2013-12-29, 06:14 PM
Pathfinder is Multiclass-Unfriendly in the same way Caster-Classes were Multiclass-Unfriendly in 3.5: You are losing out on scaling powers (with casters, that being spells).
Thus, good multiclassing is done with classes that don't really rely on scaling powers, combined in such a way that you get really good synergy - as in 3.5, this mostly applies to the mundane classes.

Sadly, a lot of PrCs don't really advance those powers, and instead just give different ones that scale for 5-10 levels (depending on PrC) and thus need really really good synergy to be worthwhile.
The good PrCs are thus those that progress casting (and thus a good chunk of a full-casters powers) and/or explicitly advance scaling powers of a class - which mostly applies to casters.

Hytheter
2013-12-29, 06:43 PM
What are good prestige classes in Pathfinder?

I don't think they accomplished anything of the sort. Instead of being a Wizard/Swiftblade/Abjurant Champion, you're a Hungry Ghost Qinggong Master of Many Styles Monk. Or a Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus. Or an Oathbound Sacred Servant Paladin. Builds are just as convoluted and complex as before, you're just juggling archetypes instead of PrCs.

I think the point he's making is that you can't "dip" an archetype (unless of course you're dipping that class) for the one class feature and then run off and leave it in the dust. You're still a Bladbound Hexcrafter as long as you keep advancing in Magus, and a Hungry Ghost Master of Many Styles as long as you stay a Monk. (Qinggong is kind of a weird exception though...)
On the other hand, when you dip in a class you're often not really committing to it, you just want a particularly nice class feature. You're not interested in being a Barbarian, you just want pounce. And I guess some people find this to be not really in the spirit of things. I can see why, though I'm personally indifferent.

Only personal preference can determine which you'd prefer. Personally I like mixing and matching Archetypes - if anything I wish it was less restrictive - but I don't think dipping is without its place either.

avr
2013-12-29, 06:54 PM
Also note that PF PrC abilities are tied to class level rather than character level; if you get an SLA at 5th level of a PrC, character level 10, the caster level will be 5. 3.5 did the same with some but not all of their equivalents.

Kraken
2013-12-29, 06:56 PM
Archtypes are a nice idea, but I think 3.5's ACF system was better. The only problem with 3.5's ACF system was that all the various options were so scattered.

Serafina
2013-12-29, 07:10 PM
Just my opinion (obviously) and not an exhaustive list:

Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple) scales a class feature (Bloodline Powers and Feats) while giving several others that are mostly passive/enhancing (assuming you are a gish).
Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave) is short, but gives a few features that are very nice for a Necromancer.
Collegiate Arcanist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/magaambyan-arcanist) advances spellcasting and adds to it (by adding druid and a few cleric spells) and is IMO the best way to make a "Universalist"-Wizard, since it gives a lot of spell flexibility.
Battle Herald (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/battle-herald) nicely combines two classes (typically Bard/Cavalier) by advancing a few of their features (Bardic Performance, Cavaliers Banner and Challenge).
Veiled Illusionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/veiled-illusionist) enhances spellcasting and gives improvements to Illusion-spells that will stay relevant.

There are probably some more, and you could disagree on a few of those i've listed.

Archtypes are a nice idea, but I think 3.5's ACF system was better. The only problem with 3.5's ACF system was that all the various options were so scattered.They are pretty much the same thing, except that Archetypes replace more than one class feature - they are pretty much "ACF packages".

Greenish
2013-12-29, 07:20 PM
They are pretty much the same thing, except that Archetypes replace more than one class feature - they are pretty much "ACF packages".Well, that's why I prefer ACFs. Could be same for Kraken.