PDA

View Full Version : Finding my threads.

DarkLightHitomi
2013-12-29, 03:08 PM
How can I find a list of threads I have made, and/or posted messages?

I wanted to see if anyone responded to a thread I made but now I cant find it. I know other sites do this but I havent found out how here, and the faq only seems to cover the issues that are same on every forum site without anything specific to what is different here.

I discovered subscritions, but do I honestly need to manually subscribe to every thread I make?

Are there no methods to see what Ive done on this site if I forgot to subscribe (or for those posts from before I discovered subscriptions)?

Keris
2013-12-29, 03:30 PM
There used to be a Search function, which would also let you find all threads you've started/posted in, however it's temporarily but indefinitely disabled. Hopefully one day it'll come back.

You can try using a search engine such as Google. If you search for 'site:giantitp.com/forums/ DarkLightHitomi (https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agiantitp.com%2Fforums%2F+DarkLight Hitomi)' it should find most, if not all, of your posts, and if you add more search terms about the thread you made you should be able to find it relatively easily.

I discovered subscritions, but do I honestly need to manually subscribe to every thread I make? If you go into your User CP and then pick 'Edit Options' from the Control Panel, there's an option to set your 'Default Thread Subscription Mode', allowing you to automatically subscribe to every thread you post in.

Killer Angel
2013-12-30, 12:44 PM
...and obviously, for the same reason, you cannot search for posts/threads started by another user.

If it can help, the forum is divided into topical areas, which may aid your search, by adding more parameters.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-12-30, 12:59 PM
Setting the forum to automatically subscribe you to any thread you post in is probably the best option at the moment, since the search is disabled and all. Another option would be bookmarking any thread you think you'll need to come back to frequently.

As for looking for the threads you've posted in in the past, have you tried using your browser's history? I'm subscribed to the thread, so it's not a problem, but if I type "Demon Ro-" and stop there into my URL/search bar in Chrome, it comes up with several different pages of The Demon Roach Betting Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302014). If I didn't have it subscribed, I could use that to find it since it's a thread I've visited before several times. Typing the title of THIS thread, even though I've only visited it once, brings it up in much the same way.

Zherog
2013-12-30, 01:18 PM
You can also use google to search the site. Since your screen name is quite unique, simply searching for it should help (though it'll get harder as your posting activity goes up, as people quote you, etc). Searching for "DarkLightHitomi site:giantitp.com/forums" (without the quotes) gives this list of results (https://www.google.com/#q=DarkLightHitomi+site:giantitp.com%2Fforums&safe=off).

ChristianSt
2013-12-30, 03:40 PM
You can also use google to search the site. Since your screen name is quite unique, simply searching for it should help (though it'll get harder as your posting activity goes up, as people quote you, etc). Searching for "DarkLightHitomi site:giantitp.com/forums" (without the quotes) gives this list of results (https://www.google.com/#q=DarkLightHitomi+site:giantitp.com%2Fforums&safe=off).

Just to add some more - since that tip is only useful for certain usernames [e.g. you have a username that just is a word that gets mentions in unrelated discussion or some users use your name in their signature], it might be more useful to try to search for parts of your signature (this is done by the fancy google search presented in the Index of the Giant's quote) - but obviously that only finds posts with your signature [and also can be problematic if you recently updated your signature, at least that Giant-finding search had problems as he changed his signature].

geeky_monkey
2014-01-02, 10:27 AM
...and obviously, for the same reason, you cannot search for posts/threads started by another user.

What is the reason for this restriction?

I use that function all the time on other forums powered by vbulletin and find it somewhat annoying that I have to use an external site such as Google when looking to see [for example] whether Kaveman has updated one of his campaign logs, etc.

Rawhide
2014-01-02, 10:34 AM
What is the reason for this restriction?

I use that function all the time on other forums powered by vbulletin and find it somewhat annoying that I have to use an external site such as Google when looking to see [for example] whether Kaveman has updated one of his campaign logs, etc.

Because we had to kill it. It will be back when I've collected enough diamond dust.

EmeraldRose
2014-01-02, 11:13 AM
Because we had to kill it. It will be back when I've collected enough diamond dust.

Simply awesome. I think I may have to sig this, with your permission?

Irbis
2014-01-03, 07:47 PM
There used to be a Search function, which would also let you find all threads you've started/posted in, however it's temporarily but indefinitely disabled. Hopefully one day it'll come back.

Yeah, I hope too. This kind of killed the forum for me, I often started day by looking what some of my favorite posters wrote or what new threads I'd never find they posted in. Now, I see interested topics diluted into 3 threads in same month because posters couldn't look for others :smallfrown:

Which is weird, as the forum still keeps the count how many times you posted. Or, if you click on number of posts in this very thread, who and how often posted in it. Unless it is static number, the very exact same search needed to produce these two numbers should also give you links to these posts...

Zherog
2014-01-03, 11:19 PM
Those counts aren't using search. It's just a simple database query that joins together a small handful of tables to get the list of names and the number of posts made in the thread.