PDA

View Full Version : The Castle of Kalzarath

Pages : 1 [2]

Exachix
2007-04-15, 01:40 PM
Lorrian smiles and continues to decorate it with flowers. Then hmms and paints it carefully, and painstakingly, so it has a nice celtic pattern on it.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 10:35 AM
The world unpauses, and everyone walks into the secret room.

Within the secret chamber, Alton kept his souveniers. A row of embalmed heads with labels in Drow fill a series of bookshelves on the back wall. A few weapons, wands, and staves rest in a rack, similarly labelled.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 10:37 AM
Lorrian sighs again at the pause disappearing and looks around the room.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 10:44 AM
Interesting place...

Fenric
2007-04-16, 10:55 AM
Krystal wrinkles up her nose

People he defeated, I take it? I don't read drow.

She casts Identify on the rack of more useful trophies, then shakes her head

(( didn't roll anything good for in here. ))

If this is all he could manage to get for defeating that lot, he needed to try harder.

A spear +2, a longsword +2, and a longsword +3. A wand of magic missiles (16 remaining), a wand of lightningbolt (1 remainig), and an empty staff of the magi.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 10:57 AM
Lorrian hmms.

"Tongues?"

Fenric
2007-04-16, 11:23 AM
Krystal shrugs

I suppose... doubt it's particularly important

Krystal casts the spell, and reads off the cards. They are names and dates, sometimes with a note like "prolonged battle" or "easier than I thought".

Exachix
2007-04-16, 11:28 AM
Lorrian hmms.

"Oh, how boring."

Kyrian
2007-04-16, 11:30 AM
Conrad gets a feeling that Sayuri is going to kill him whenever he returns.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 11:33 AM
Krystal nods

Let's go. I've had enough of dark, spiders, and mushrooms.

Krystal heads back out.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 11:40 AM
Lorrian smiles and follows.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 11:41 AM
Tenshin wakes up and looks around before following.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 11:48 AM
Krystal stands in front of the door to Lindorarna's seemingly-unlocked room.

The Weaver of the Arcane: This might be difficult...

She tries Knock, which doesn't help. Then she tries a progression of different dispells, ending up with Disjunction: none of them work. She tries to break the door, and she tries to open a portal in the wall, but none of it works.

Ok... not "might be".

Exachix
2007-04-16, 11:50 AM
Lorrian hmms.

"Anti Magic? Millitary grade explosives?"

Deadly
2007-04-16, 11:54 AM
Tenshin tries a psionic bolt of fire, expecting little

Fenric
2007-04-16, 11:55 AM
Krystal chuckles

Her spells wrap around my anti-magic attempts faster than I can do them. As to explosives...

Krystal looks around

We are in a confined space underground. If the blast doesn't puree us, it will probably bury us.

The fire isn't unwoven, but the door is protected against fire (and a great many other things).

Deadly
2007-04-16, 11:57 AM
Tenshin turns ethereal and tries to pass through either the door or the wall next to it.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 11:59 AM
Do you know what the room looks like? And if not, do you think we could scry it?

Exachix
2007-04-16, 12:03 PM
Lorrian hmms.

Multi- nope... battering ram?

Fenric
2007-04-16, 12:06 PM
Tenshin encounters a barrier against ethereal travel. Krystal shakes her head

Not a clue, Kantur.

She looks at the wall in frustration

We need something not magic, that she hasn't already protected against.

Then she turns back to Tenshin

Got any druid capabilities, or could you fake it? That "Warp Wood" spell of theirs that makes dead wood come back to life and grow might work.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 12:08 PM
Lorrian hmms.

"Mining. Are we at the very base of this building. Is all that's below it mud and rock?"

Deadly
2007-04-16, 12:11 PM
Tenshin nods I could use a miracle to duplicate the spell.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 12:35 PM
Krystal shakes her head at Lorrian

Sadly no, there are three floors of dungeon below us and one above.

She then looks at Tenshin

Hm... Hate to burn a Miracle on it, let's save that idea for the last resort.

Krystal tilts her head as a thought strikes her

Actually, Lorrian has a good idea: just the wrong direction. But what if we try the wall between Alton's room and this one, rather than coming up from below?

Exachix
2007-04-16, 12:39 PM
Lorrian hmms.

"Actually that's a better idea that what I meant, but mine's a little damaging anyway."

Deadly
2007-04-16, 12:40 PM
It's worth a try

Fenric
2007-04-16, 12:43 PM
Krystal heads back out to the hall, and around through Alton's room into the trophy room. She moves the now-empty weapon rack away from the wall.

There. Now let's see if we can't convince this wall to let us through.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 12:44 PM
Tenshin, still ethereal, tries to pass through

Exachix
2007-04-16, 12:44 PM
Lorrian follows.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 12:53 PM
Tenshin gets right in. The room has a permanent illusion to look like a wood-elf's bower high in a tree. A gentle breeze blows through and everything is made from natural materials. A large scroll-cabinet houses her library, and two locked chests sit on the floor near the bed. A set of brightly-colored stones of different shapes rest in a case on the desk next to a large book.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 01:00 PM
Tenshin waits patiently for the others to get in

Kantur
2007-04-16, 01:03 PM
So if that works, any reason a Dimension Door shouldn't?

Fenric
2007-04-16, 01:07 PM
Krystal goes back out to the hall to see if Tenshin will open the door. After a minute, she comes back.

Um... well, if ethereal worked then passwall should too.

Krystal casts the spell, and the wall opens up nicely. Krystal heads through and looks around

Well... didn't like being underground, did she?

Deadly
2007-04-16, 01:09 PM
Tenshin frowns as she remembers that she forgot all about the door. She sighs, seeing that the problem is solved anyway, and looks around Can't blame her. Atleast she had better taste than the drow

Kantur
2007-04-16, 01:11 PM
Ah, the classic locked chests...
Kantur heads over to them, examining them for traps, disarming them if they exist and unlocking them if he can.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 01:12 PM
Krystal nods

True, but that's not hard

She spots the items on the desk

Ioun stones! I could never stand those things buzzing around my head, though.

She heads over to the scroll-case and begins copying the scrolls into her book.

Why do wood-elves like scrolls so much?

Deadly
2007-04-16, 01:14 PM
Tenshin smiles and goes to inspect the ioun stones

Fenric
2007-04-16, 01:19 PM
Kantur opens the first chest without incident. Within is a small amount of money and a large amount of women's clothing, wood-elf size medium.

Tenshin finds a full set of arcane Ioun stones. No psionic or divine stones are present.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 01:22 PM
Tenshin shrugs, finding the stones rather useless in that case, and sits down to watch the others instead

Exachix
2007-04-16, 01:27 PM
Lorrian hmms and goes to another chest, trying to open, being careful.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 01:29 PM
Kantur pockets the money and looks at the clothing, trying to think if it'd fit anyone he knows.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 01:30 PM
The other chest was locked but not trapped, and is full of nothing but undying leaves from an elvish forest.

Krystal finishes copying the scrolls and turns to see the chest of leaves

Now that's just sad.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 01:34 PM
Lorrian sighs at the leaves

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:04 PM
Krystal pokes through the leaves, then shrugs.

One left...

Krystal heads out through the door (which opens easily enough from the inside) and heads to the last room.

Krystal pulls a sour face at the door.

And here is where that miserable rotten mirror-Krystal stayed.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:05 PM
Lorrian hmms and looks at it.

"What's the matter with her?"

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:11 PM
Krystal looks at Lorrian

I guess you haven't had the dubious pleasure of meeting your mirror-world alternate. As a warning for whenever you do: if you enjoy the experience, you'll be the first.

Krystal sighs

And she's worse because she helped Fendran kill Exachix and me once. Uncle Fendran may have redeemed himself at last: she didn't. And she's still lurking around somewhere...

Kantur
2007-04-16, 02:13 PM
Think it'll be trapped? Or even open normally for that matter?

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:14 PM
Lorrian hmms.

"Well I'm going to find mine and Exachix's mirrors. We need something."

((Trivial fact: Karsen has no mirror))

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:16 PM
Krystal looks at the door for a while.

I rather think it will open for me. I don't think she's clever enough to make an identity-coded spell in this world that excluded me.

Krystal tries the door, and it opens readily.

Just like that.

Krystal walks in.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:30 PM
Lorrian hmms and follows.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:33 PM
The lack of time that the evil psion spent in the room is clear mostly from the lack of customizations. Krystal flips through the few books and discards them.

A set of psionic Ioun stones rest in a box near the bed, and a single broken shard of crystal sits in a velvet box on the desk. This catches Krystal's eye and she heads over to it.

There are three steel chests on the floor, with solid looking locks.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:35 PM
Lorrian darts over to a chest and hmms, looking at it to see if it has anything dangerous and trap-like.

Kantur
Kantur heads over to one of the chests, going through the standard check, disarm, unlock proceedure.

Deadly
Tenshin studies the ioun stones with interrest

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:42 PM
Kantur's box unlocks easily. A statue that looks like Atreyu with horns and a devil's tail is nestled in a disgusting heap of fox-ears. There is also some rubble as from a broken wall, and a black-bladed dagger. The most interesting thing is a pot of 60 gold coins, each smeared with a dab of blood.

Lorrian needs to make a reflex check to avoid a jet of flame that fired when the lid was open (DC 14: trap neither visible nor accessible from the outside)

Tenshin finds a stone to raise her int one point, another to increase her effective manifester level by one, and a third that will absorb psionic attacks up to some limit.

Krystal picks up the shard of crystal and stares at it in surprise.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:43 PM
Lorrian makes the save, just and looks at Kanturs in disgust and tries to open her chest.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 02:44 PM
Tenshin smiles and takes the stones, then turns to examine the books that Krystal discarded

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:48 PM
Lorrian finds the loot that mirror-Krystal stole from Fendran's tower!

Tenshin may be surprised to find books in Krystal's handwriting, as the evil mirror stole Krystal's spellbooks during the attack in Ravenloft.

Krystal seems incredulous

I can't believe it

See?

Exachix
2007-04-16, 02:50 PM
Lorrian hmms and looks at the loot.

"Nice."

She looks at the 3rd chest, then at Krys.

[color=#555555]"What?"[/color[

Deadly
2007-04-16, 02:50 PM
Tenshin shrugs at the handwriting and turns to Krystal What is it?

Kantur
2007-04-16, 02:56 PM
Kantur barely avoids throwing up as he looks through the contents of the chest. He picks up, and tucks into his bag of holding, the statue, dagger and coins, though examines the coins closer.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 02:59 PM
Krystal waves the crystal

This! It doesn't belong here.

Krystal stops at the relative absurdity of that statement

More than usual for the Town... er...

Krystal shakes her head

Never mind that part, then. This is a piece of the Weavegem. The real one!

Krystal also comes to the realization that no one else is likely to know what that means, or be as excited as her over that fact.

It's a fragment of a magic item... that blew up a long time ago... on a different world...

The gold coins are half-ounce gold pieces from mirror town, each with a smear of old dried blood on it. They were probably offered to the statue. If Kantur can bring himself to count, there are 60 ears in the box.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 03:00 PM
Lorrian's eyes widen.

"What did it do?"

Deadly
2007-04-16, 03:04 PM
Tenshin listens with interrest

Kantur
2007-04-16, 03:09 PM
Sixty and sixty, I doubt that's coincidence...
Though he still looks repulsed by the contents, having moved them in nice neat sets as he searched through the chest.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 03:18 PM
Krystal sounds a lot like Fenric when she starts to explain something.

A spellweaver works by manipulating the basic fabric of reality:

The foundation of everything is made from six fundamental "planes" if you will, grouped into three pairs of opposing forces.

Positive and Negative Energy, Chaos and Order, Substance and Astral.

Everything else comes as superpositions of these.

The first-level combinations: Heat, Light, Force, Good, Cold, Shadows, Air, Evil, Water, Destruction, Earth, and Creation
The "power" combinations: Arcane Energy, Life, Enchantment, Psychic Energy, Dark Arcane Energy, Unlife, Dark Enchantment, and Madness
The secondary combinations: White Lightning, Fire, Steam, Wildfire, Bright Metals, Radiance, Crystals, Dreams, Storms, Stone, White Flame, Healing, Black Lightning, Wild Cryofire, Ice, Cryofilre, Dark Crystals, Gloom, Dark Metals, Nightmares, Mist, Dust, Disintegration, and Disease

They all come together to form the material world.

A spellweaver has a couple of choices to make. They can specialize in one or more of these fundamental planes, or they can try to be generally effective across them all but at a lower power level.

A spellweaver's power is limited by how far "down" the hierarchy they can go. The further from the material you go, the more damaging it is to you but the more dramatic your effects can be. Most people can only go down to the secondary planes. Really powerful people like Randan could briefly touch the power planes. The primary planes hurt all but the most powerful people, and it is death for a mortal to touch the most basic level

Krystal looks at the shard

Except... they came up with this: a way to let you touch the deeper levels, longer, without getting hurt. There were two, at two competing schools of magic in the Empire of Yarissa. Eventually their competition broke out into fighting, and one of the schools tried to use the power of their gem to destroy the other.

Krystal winces

The results were not pretty. The target gem was shattered in a cataclysmic explosion that obliterated an entire continent... well, almost. The other was consumed by the dreadful energies unleashed in the attack.

Krystal waves the shard

This is a piece of that shattered gem.

Exachix
2007-04-16, 03:20 PM
Lorrian goes 'wow'.

Deadly
2007-04-16, 03:24 PM
Tenshin nods thoughtfully as Dead Time decides to take control

Fenric
2007-04-16, 03:34 PM
Kantur probably finds that boring. The third chest is trapped with a flame-jet trap too, and has the rest of the loot from Fendran's tower. The two chests have gold, silver, and platinum coins and objects totalling 72,000 gold pieces. There are 120 diamonds of 5000 gp each, 10 sapphires of 3000, 10 black sapphires of 2000, 20 black opals of 1000, 50 mixed colored stones of 500 each, and 80 diamonds of 200. There is a ring +3, a ring +2, greater bracers of archery, boots of striding and springing, a cats-eye amulet, a rod of wonders, a bag of tricks, an onyx dog figurine, two scrolls of fireball (10th level), fifteen scrolls of magic missile (10th level), three scrolls of disintegrate, and a wand of Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (10th level, 50 charges)

Exachix
2007-04-16, 03:35 PM
Lorrian gasps.

"That's alot of stuff."

((And I have school tomorrow. Better go to bed. 'night all. Kantur can NPC lorrian))

Kantur
2007-04-16, 03:41 PM
Kantur's eyes light up at all the loot, his hand actually visibly shaking as he reaches out to check it's real, his voice lost to him.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 03:50 PM
Krystal looks up from the crystal and sees all the stuff

Where the frell did she get all that??

Kantur
2007-04-16, 03:54 PM
I have no idea...

Fenric
2007-04-16, 03:57 PM
Krystal chuckles

Not a bad ending to the expedition, wouldn't you say?

Kantur
2007-04-16, 03:59 PM
Definetly not. How do we all want to split this?

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:03 PM
Krystal shrugs

Well... coins are easy. Gems are always nice for those of us who cast spells, so put the value against other valuable non-gem stuff. Equipment goes first preference to who can use it best, then to who wants it, anything left over gets sold?

Krystal stretches

Now we have to convince Kazuki to search through mirror-Kazuki's memories to find out where that dragon's treasure got stashed...

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:07 PM
Well, the scrolls'll be most useful to you, so those are obvious...But no matter how it's done really, none of us are walking away poor from this.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:13 PM
Krystal grins

That was the general idea. And there are still a couple of other places where treasure got left behind, too. Always a shame for such pretty gold and gemstones to be left all alone like that.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:16 PM
I want at least a few of the shinier diamonds as a contingency for an unexpected death...

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:25 PM
Krystal nods

Makes sense.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:32 PM
Apart from that, so long as there's a decent value of gems in there, I'm not fussed really.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:33 PM
Krystal grins, then looks distant for a moment, then frowns

Can you believe that I just got scolded for incomplete looting?

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:38 PM
Kantur grins at her
Yes, you're not a rogue.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:43 PM
Krystal goes out to the hallway and scowls at the door in-between Lindorarna's and mirror-Krystals, which she had somehow managed to skip.

Pansy light-elf "Weaver of Divine" useless shocking Elric. And he's the one that stabbed Dad, on top of it!

Krystal glares at his door, then Disjoins the wards

Idiot couldn't even secure a door properly.

She stomps in.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:44 PM
Kantur follows, assuming the loot's been stashed between them all

Fenric
2007-04-16, 04:48 PM
(( No point going into any further detail on that, I think. ))

Krystal grouchily copies Elric's books. Elric's room also has a trophy case, but this one has divine artifacts of many different gods. Each one has a label indicating the item and which god it came from.

Among them is a white alabaster fox. The fox is seated, with it's tail sticking up along its back. It is wearing a somewhat silly-looking red bib, and it's right front paw is restind on a vaguely teardrop shaped diamond of many facets. The label says "Fox of Fortune - Inari".

Kantur
2007-04-16, 04:52 PM
Kantur heads over to the artifacts and examines them closely

Fenric
2007-04-16, 06:50 PM
Artifacts:

The Mask of Mask: Gives a +3 bonus to all Rogue class skills. Rare
The Gae Bolg: Spear +10 of Cu Chulainn. Instant death on a critical (Natural 20 only). Unique
The armor of Kuan-ti: Full plate +3 that grants SR 100. Very Rare
The Ankh of Ra: once per four rounds, fires a solar flare with range of 400 ft. Except for undead: 4d20 light/fire damage, Reflex DC 15 for half. Undead: Fort save DC 20 or be destroyed, save for 4d20 damage. Unique
Helm of Athena: At will creates an anti-magic shell with 10' radius effective against mortal and godly magic up to DR 10, Rare
Chakram of Vishnu: A +10, Vorpal bladed throwing dicus, unique.
The Fox of Fortune: A Myobu statue of Inari. Once per day, if an offering of rice and incense is made to the fox, the offerer will gain 10 gold pieces under their pillow when they wake up. Rare

Kantur
2007-04-16, 07:15 PM
Kantur stares at the artifacts in awe of them.
How're these getting split? Apart from the Fox of Fortune obviously...

Fenric
2007-04-16, 07:18 PM
Krystal looks them over.

So nice of him to have labelled them. So he could do something right after all... I'd like the Ankh, actually.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 07:25 PM
The mask's a no-brainer choice really...Can't think of too many other people with much use for it.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 07:42 PM
Krystal nods

The other stuff's a bit rough. Is there anything else?

Krystal looks around for "off-display" items. She finds a set of other items in a box labelled "random gods" in elvish in a cabinet.

Random, heh?

Eyepatch of Odin: Grants true seeing, perfect darkvision, and +2 to wisdom Rare
Belt of Hippolyta: Grants +5 to str, forces wearer to be female. Unique
Headband of Mnemosyne: Grants +2 to int, wis, and manifester level for psionic users. Unique
Bullet of Iames: A .357 magnium round carrying the power of an obscure neutral god which grants +5 to ranged attacks to the bearer. Extremely Rare
Wool of the Godruped: A tuft that looks like steel wool, when thrown as a ranged weapon acts as a ranged touch attack. On a successful hit, it enmeshes and mains the target for 5d12 damage. Rare
Goblet of Baccus: A wine glass that automatically refills itself with whatever wine is asked for. Very Rare.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 07:50 PM
The armour'd be useful, though it'd make me feel pretty restricted.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 07:52 PM
Krystal shakes her head

The rest of this is junk as far as I care. Looks like he spent every penny he got, too. I can't find a coin in the place.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 08:06 PM
I'm sure it'll be appreachiated by the temple...if nothing else they can sell some of it if donations ever start to get thin on the ground.

Fenric
2007-04-16, 08:10 PM
Krystal nods

Let's get packing. This place needs to collapse in peace.

Krystal heads back to the hallway to prepare the portal home.

Kantur
2007-04-16, 08:16 PM
Alright
Kantur shoves any unclaimed items into his bag of holding before heading out into the hallway

Fenric
2007-04-16, 08:22 PM
Out in the hallway, Krystal is busy with a spell. Soon, the familiar tingle of a portal opening fills the basement, and a glowing doorway appears. The welcoming interior of the sanctuary of the temple of Inari lies just beyond. Krystal leads Conrad, Sarai, and Tenshin through.

(( Exy said you were supposed to take care of Lorrian. :smallbiggrin: ))

Kantur
2007-04-16, 08:43 PM
((Nothing's stopping retroactive claiming of items :smalltongue:))

Kantur and Lorrian head through the portal