PDA

View Full Version : General DM question

LordAshenshield
2013-12-29, 04:46 PM
Ok so I am sure something like this happens in virtually every game with imaginative set of players.

So how do you all rule things like this and what are some examples you all have seen?

We once played a fight against a rather large ogre and it was rather tough for the party, it was a random encounter. Well one of my players recalled a d20 session with Spoony, Linkara, etc and stabbed the creature in the spine. Well he of course crit and then confirmed it.

The damage was no where near enough to kill the beast but instead he dropped off the beasts back and had the spellcasters two of them begin funneling lightning bolt and other electrical attacks into the sword and into the spine of the beast.

Well They expected more damage and of course I agreed you are bypassing his armor and driving it right into his brain so I added extra damage.

So do you agree with that, the creative use of spells and mundane effects to add extra damage.

One ask me if I could allow him to make Lead Arrows to guide an electrical charge to a target.

Zman
2013-12-29, 04:54 PM
Dnd and hp is an abstraction, when you let players describe what happens, call shots, etc outside of the abstract rules problems arise.

I'll do what I can to be ultra descriptive after the fact, but letting arbitrary player called things with no rules representation outside of abstraction occur is in bad form.

In that case, I would describe the spinal attack for the Crit, sure. I would even describe the lightning arcing into the blades, sure, but it wouldn't gain any advantage over the abstract rules. It opens a can of worms IMO.

It's abstract, if you want something else, there are other systems or variant rules which could represent it much better.