PDA

View Full Version : Feats and Losing Ablility points

Grayson01
2013-12-29, 06:21 PM
For feats that require a set Ablility score as a Prereq {TWF line, PA, CE, ETC} if your ability score is dropped bellow the threashold of the Prereq do you lose the ability to use said feat until your ability score is healed above the number?

Karnith
2013-12-29, 06:24 PM
Yes, you lose access to the feat if you no longer meet the feat's prerequisites. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#prerequisites):

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
(Emphasis mine)

The character would be able to use the feat again once she meets the prerequisites.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-29, 06:24 PM
Short answer: yes. But if your score is that close to the prereq number, why are you relying on that feat?

Greenish
2013-12-29, 06:36 PM
Short answer: yes. But if your score is that close to the prereq number, why are you relying on that feat?Why not? Imp. Grapple has Dex requirement, but there's little reason for most grapplers to boost Dex, for example.

Zanos
2013-12-29, 06:39 PM
Short answer: yes. But if your score is that close to the prereq number, why are you relying on that feat?
You can screw with your wisdom to disqualify yourself from Shadow Weave Magic when you don't want to deal with the drawbacks.

There are other feats with some pretty nasty side effects that you can disqualify yourself from using on purpose, too.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-29, 06:46 PM
You can screw with your wisdom to disqualify yourself from Shadow Weave Magic when you don't want to deal with the drawbacks.

There are other feats with some pretty nasty side effects that you can disqualify yourself from using on purpose, too.

Why not? Imp. Grapple has Dex requirement, but there's little reason for most grapplers to boost Dex, for example.

Corner cases. If you're using Power Attack, you shouldn't have a Str 13.

Vaz
2013-12-29, 06:53 PM
Feeblemind on an Imperious Command build, is another. In my campaigns, my opponentDM pretty much always open an encounter against the Wizard/Sorcerer type with Feeblemind; so much so that I've hard to, on occasion, pick up Martial Study as a feat specifically for that spell in lower OP games.

Grayson01
2013-12-29, 07:00 PM
Corner cases. If you're using Power Attack, you shouldn't have a Str 13.

I Assume you meant counter case: CE is another feat that you don't boost if you have the feat, and it might just be a Prereq for a feat chain or class and you might not be boosting INT.

TuggyNE
2013-12-29, 07:12 PM
Trivia: Mind Over Body (XPH) would be dysfunctional without this rule, since it would be possible to take so much Con damage that you heal a negative number of ability points per day. Fortunately, it requires Con 13, so it deactivates if you get down to the point where it's not helping any more.

Greenish
2013-12-29, 07:16 PM
Trivia: Mind Over Body (XPH) would be dysfunctional without this rule, since it would be possible to take so much Con damage that you heal a negative number of ability points per day. Fortunately, it requires Con 13, so it deactivates if you get down to the point where it's not helping any more.You'd not heal negative numbers, since MOB specifies that you heal 1 + Con bonus, not 1 + Con modifier. (Like, say, flat-footed causes you to lose Dex bonus to AC, not Dex modifier, so a penalty still applies.)

TuggyNE
2013-12-29, 08:16 PM
You'd not heal negative numbers, since MOB specifies that you heal 1 + Con bonus, not 1 + Con modifier. (Like, say, flat-footed causes you to lose Dex bonus to AC, not Dex modifier, so a penalty still applies.)

Huh. OK then. :smallwink: