PDA

View Full Version : Whisper in the Wilderness....

Shadowdagger213
2013-12-29, 08:41 PM
Right now the idea is a Wilderness Rogue Variant Whisper Gnome Rogue...

This is for an outdoor solo campaign with some underground stuff (or so I'm told so far, my son the DM is not giving up very much for me to prepare for)

Stats as follows:

(-2)STR 11
(+2)DEX 17
(+2)CON 15
INT 15
WIS 15
(-2)CHA 14

Totals:

STR 9
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 15
WIS 15
CHA 12

Ranged primary (obviously), 2WF melee (Quickrazors), lots of skill tricks to activate flat feet..

I have never played a small character before... and NEVER played a character with a penalty, in strength to boot.

Can't play a Whiperknife, have to be a Halfling for that. Kept the CHA above 10 to get the SLA's that the Whispergnome gets, and he has the CON to go toe-to-toe in melee if need be.

I would only have 4 feats plus one Rogue Special Ability for this build, and the Wilderness Rogue adds Woodland Stride, Camouflage and HiPS as choices for them. HiPS has Camo as a prerequisite.

Feats will probably go all towards either Crossbow Sniper or Crit-Fishing.

I don't have access to Tome of Battle, Magic Item Compendium BoED or BoVD, any 3.0 or the like. I have the PHB, PHB2, Completes (minus "Champion") and Races...

Is this a good start? Planning to TOTALLY exploit the Hide bonuses for the Whisper Gnome, which is why I was thinking Sniper. Shadowdancer is too feat dependant for this low feat build but I could do it. Not worth 3 feats just to get one level of Shadowdancer for HiPS.

I ask that references to books I don't own not be made, I'd really like to challenge myself (and you of course! :smallwink:) and make this viable for me, while completely nerve wracking for my son.

And......GO!

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-30, 12:31 AM
For melee advice I have to recommend Staggering Strike. It's one of the best debuffing combos the Rogue has, although it's usually paired with Craven from Champions of Ruin. Honestly, ranged combat on a Rogue isn't very strong as it's almost impossible to reliably get SA. For further reading, I point you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233), the Rogue Handbook.

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-30, 12:57 AM
A solo, wilderness adventure that isn't gestalt? I would play a Druid, instead. If you can talk your son into Gestalt, as it is only you, I would tack on Fighter. I played a Whisper Gnome Fighter//Rogue, and man, she was a nasty little thing!

Shadowdagger213
2013-12-30, 07:37 PM
Update:

I was told to "Stop reading into the adventure so much" and "Play whatever sounds like fun".

(I taught him that, don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it...)

So, instead of a Whisper Gnome Wilderness Rogue (Daring Outlaw would be in that somewhere), I'm trying out a Grey Elf Swashbuckler/Fighter/Champion of Corellon Larethian.

DEX to hit, INT to damage, DEX to damage, was trying to find a way to add INT to Defense too, but I'd have to try to fit 1 level of Duelist (for 1 point to AC), or maybe lots of Combat Expertise or something.

If I want all my benefits from Swashbuckler, I need to keep my armor light (for Duelist it would be none), yet CoCL gets benefits from wearing Heavy armor and it would be more economical with DEX handling To Hit, AC and Damage as well.

So now, Elegant Fighter with decent damage or MAJORLY stealthy Rogue with full SA and lots of skills?

This is my new dilemma...