PDA

View Full Version : How would Artificer infusions apply to a crossbow with a bayonet?

AnonymousPepper
2013-12-29, 09:14 PM
So my Artificer wields a heavy repeating crossbow and at the moment is a little vulnerable at close range. I was browsing through some sourcebooks today and on a whim I cracked open Complete Scoundrel and noticed the bit about bayonets on page 109. My first thought upon looking at them was "Yes! I can definitely use these!" My second was, "Wait, how would my weapon enhancement infusions apply to this?"

For anybody who doesn't know, an Artificer is able to use an infusion - think "spell" - to temporarily grant an enhancement bonus of their choice to a weapon, be it a simple +X or a specific enchantment like Bane. Naturally, this is ridiculously useful if you have the time (or action points) to do it and thus an Artificer will find himself often using it.

Anyway, I talked to my DM about it; he's knowledgeable albeit a little new and wasn't sure himself. The question was, "If I apply an infusion to the weapon, does it affect both the blade and the bow, as long as it's not a melee- or ranged-specific enhancement, or does it only apply to one part of the weapon?" At first I thought it should, because it's still the same weapon, one whole chassis, but then I thought that it's also possible that it would be considered a double weapon and thus require a separate enhancement to each part.

What do the rules say about this, GitP? I'm curious to know, especially since the game is tonight and I'm probably going to slap a sword bayonet on at the first opportunity.

Invader
2013-12-29, 09:26 PM
I would probably rule in favor of a bayonet being a weapon attachment and not a separate weapon so the infusion would affect both.

Invader
2013-12-29, 09:28 PM
That being said I'm not sure there's a definite right/wrong answer for this one.

AnonymousPepper
2013-12-29, 09:34 PM
I would probably rule in favor of a bayonet being a weapon attachment and not a separate weapon so the infusion would affect both.

The question, then, is what happens if I cast an infusion on it to grant, say, Seeking, which is a ranged-only enhancement? Would I be able to cast it at all, and if so, would it only apply to the ranged portion or would it grant a flat +1 to the melee instead or how exactly would that work

Invader
2013-12-29, 09:36 PM
The question, then, is what happens if I cast an infusion on it to grant, say, Seeking, which is a ranged-only enhancement? Would I be able to cast it at all, and if so, would it only apply to the ranged portion or would it grant a flat +1 to the melee instead or how exactly would that work

It'd only affect the appropriate weapon and do nothing for the other.