PDA

View Full Version : Hide a life force

Zuke
2013-12-29, 11:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find a spell that will effectively hide my characters life force. The goal is to find a spell that makes me appear to be dead to a custom ability created by my DM.

Apparently the following don't defeat this 'Life Sense' ability;
Non-Detection (I know this isn't going to work)
Dark Stalker (Feat: immune to Blind Sight)
Misdirection (Treated as a Dead animal)
Trackless Step (I know this isn't going to work)
Ring of dark Hidden (I know this isn't going to work)

So ideas welcome and they will be tested in game.

Thanks in advance,
Zuke

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-29, 11:09 PM
Life Sense isn't a custom creation, it's a feat from Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead who can't speak Latin.

To beat it you need to be something without a Con score. Such as an Undead or Construct.

Envyus
2013-12-29, 11:32 PM
Life Sense isn't a custom creation, it's a feat from Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead who can't speak Latin.

To beat it you need to be something without a Con score. Such as an Undead or Construct.

I think there was a feat or spell in that book that countered it.

Zuke
2013-12-29, 11:32 PM

Thanks Tippy,

P28 Lifesense - In short it detects living creatures.
So my question stands, is there a spell that makes me appear to be dead or undead?

An interesting point to note is that the ability doesn't pin point the target like blind sight it only illuminates surrounding the target. Do you think Invisibility would by pass this? If you cast invisibility on a light does it still create visible light? hows does this work with magical weapons? this is outlined in the invisibility spell.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-12-29, 11:37 PM
Shroud of Undeath might do it for ya, depending on DM's interpretation. It appears in Ghostwalk and Magic of Faerun. Level 2 Sorc/Wiz for 10 min/cl you are infused with negative energy and are treated as undead for all spells and effects.

Zuke
2013-12-29, 11:47 PM
Shroud of Undeath might do it for ya, depending on DM's interpretation. It appears in Ghostwalk and Magic of Faerun. Level 2 Sorc/Wiz for 10 min/cl you are infused with negative energy and are treated as undead for all spells and effects.

Thanks Fishy,

A side effect of this is you become visible when you attack. And it only really works against non intelligent undead.

The creatures we are up against are intelligent.... I never check to see if they where undead. Interesting thought.

Zuke
2013-12-30, 12:07 AM
Invisibility is a way around the Lifesense feat. Not a complete pass but the invisibility makes the source invisible so you still get the 50% miss chance. If your within 60ft of another life then it makes it harder to pin point the center of the light source.

Psyren
2013-12-30, 12:39 AM
If it's a custom ability your DM may simply not let it be overcome no matter what you do. We need more information to address it properly. Is it a spherical emanation? A cone? Does it go through walls or doors? Can a wall of any thickness stop it? How about a sheet of lead? Can you overwhelm it by releasing several dozen critters into the dungeon ahead of you? Etc.

Mithril Leaf
2013-12-30, 01:22 AM
Ritual of something or another to turn you into a necropolitan. Kinda expensive though. If you are willing to up the cheese, I'd have to recommend the Silveraith Template from City of the Spider Queen.

BWR
2013-12-30, 04:47 AM
Are earlier editions allowed?
If so, 2e to the rescue. Converted it looks something like:

Conceal Life Force
(Abjuration)
Clr 5
Range: touch
Components: VSDF
CT: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 day/level
Aoe: creature touched
ST: none
SR: no

The target's life force is concealed from any ability to detect life force, souls, living spirits and similar essences, be it magical or non-magical in nature. If the target dies while under the influence of this spell or the spell is cast on a being that has died within the last hour, this spell also prevents reincarnation.

Glimbur
2013-12-30, 09:32 AM
You could also try Hide from Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromUndead.htm). It's a limited form of invisibility, basically, but it also works against any unusual detection methods the undead have. The only problem is that it's first level and offers a save to intelligent undead. Well, that and if your enemies are not undead they ignore it. Might be worth a shot though.

GreenSerpent
2013-12-30, 10:01 AM
I wonder if the Feign Death ACF would be applicable here.

Valwyn
2013-12-30, 10:03 AM
The feat specifies that the light acts as a torch. That means any darkness spell should deal with it. Make a cloak of constant Darkness or a similar spell and you should be fine. Even better, make it one of Blacklight so you can see through the darkness but other people can't see you. Bonus points for making you look cool (and evil, beware paladins and vampire hunters).

Necroticplague
2013-12-30, 10:30 AM
While the rules don't exactly state it, the Hide Life spell could reasonably do this. It crams your life force into a body part, then separates it from your body, leaving your life not in you. This could reasonable fool Lifesense (or Deathsight), at least for your main body (though the seperated body part would give off an oddly large reading).

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-30, 11:18 AM
Hold up are you sure your dealing with the lifesense feat and not the ability used by dread wraiths.(same name different effects).

Zuke
2014-02-15, 04:36 PM
After a couple more games, the DM said it was like the Wraiths ability but custom.

In other words, I have spent lots of time and gold in game to find out that its impossible to defeat because the DM wants it that way. Crappy, but that's what you live with.

On the flip side I have a character that is all but undetectable to everything ales if the character wants to be.

Thank you all for your thoughts.