PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain miss chance

GhengisConrad
2013-12-29, 11:44 PM
Blink, Blur, etc. As class features or feats.

I love shadowblur from ShadowLord, but its too hard to get in. Shadowcraft Mage has like the same ability, but pretty cheasy to get in with few dippers.

Tauric Blinkdog of course has blink at will... level adjsutment pretty steep though.

Of course totemist gives you blink at the heart chakra level... but that requires quite a bit of dedication.

Any... smaller dips or feats or such to easily gain multiple miss chances?

I just LOVE the flavor of a guy who is all like total bad-ass walking right into it, and just can't get hit!

Irk
2013-12-30, 12:25 AM
Blink, Blur, etc. As class features or feats.

I love shadowblur from ShadowLord, but its too hard to get in. Shadowcraft Mage has like the same ability, but pretty cheasy to get in with few dippers.

Tauric Blinkdog of course has blink at will... level adjsutment pretty steep though.

Of course totemist gives you blink at the heart chakra level... but that requires quite a bit of dedication.

I just LOVE the flavor of a guy who is all like total bad-ass walking right into it, and just can't get hit!

at first level you can get the fellmist robe with the feat shape soulmeld.

GreenETC
2013-12-30, 12:50 AM
The best one for ANY character is technically the +3 Gleaming armor enhancement, which gives a flat 20% that doesn't get beating by True Seeing.

Other than that, you've got things such as the Fellmist Robe Soulmeld (which only works on things more than 5ft away), Mirror Image (in armor or spell form), Blur and Displacement (in armor, spell, or equipment form), or blinding your enemies.

The Viscount
2013-12-30, 12:55 AM
Dark Moon Disciple Monk will get you total concealment in all but full daylight, meaning a miss chance in many circumstances.

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-30, 01:21 AM
Quite a few Shadow Hand Maneuvers with a Swordsage give you miss chances. You could gain a few with the Martial Study Feat and not be a Swordsage as well.

Norin
2013-12-30, 05:15 AM
Umbral disciple - Embrace of Shadows lets you boost miss chance based on how much essentia you invest.

Seffbasilisk
2013-12-30, 06:22 AM
MIC has Mithralmist armor

Warlock invocation Entropic Warding. 20% miss chance on ranged attacks incoming for 24 hours.

Cloak of Displacement, Minor. 20% miss chance on attacks vs, period.

Talakeal
2013-12-30, 06:55 AM

I thought miss chance didn't stack? Am I missing something or wouldn't a single miss chance that can't be negated be more valuable than a whole bunch of separate miss chances?

Darrin
2013-12-30, 08:02 AM
Armor spikes + Smoking property (+1 enhancement, Lords of Darkness). Costs at least 8350 GP, though.

Umbral Disciple (Magic of Incarnum) has Embrace the Shadow (Su), which has concealment (10% to 50%) and Hide in Plain Sight all wrapped up together. Sneak attack, blindsight, and much easier to qualify for than Telflammar Shadowlord.

Karnith
2013-12-30, 08:28 AM
I thought miss chance didn't stack?
That depends on whether the group is using the Rules Compendium or not. Without the RC, it's only multiple sources of concealment that don't stack; all of the other miss chances would (they also don't really stack in the normal sense of the word; they apply one after another and would be checked separately).

With RC, all miss chances, and the chance not to do damage due to incorporeality, and possibly some other things, overlap, so only the best applies.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-30, 11:23 AM
With RC, all miss chances, and the chance not to do damage due to incorporeality, and possibly some other things, overlap, so only the best applies.

you did what? in the where to for? fo rale?

unfair. Now I have no reason to live....

of course... that's sort of freeing in a way. A tide that lowers all boats as it were...

OldTrees1
2013-12-30, 03:38 PM
Blurring (+1 armor enhancement) gives 20% for several rounds 3/day

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-30, 03:52 PM
concealment gives miss-chance.

any fog spell gives concealment.
being in shadow illumination or a dark area gives concealment.

it was always hard for me to figure out how you could get a miss chance that was so high that closing your eyes made you significantly more likely to hit.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-30, 05:46 PM
concealment gives miss-chance.
it was always hard for me to figure out how you could get a miss chance that was so high that closing your eyes made you significantly more likely to hit.

well... thinks like blur and mirror image make sense, because its not making it harder for you to see me, but rather, to know where I actually am, giving you a chance to actually be hitting what you mistakingly see as me.

Anyone got a page number on that rules compendium thing? getting the book right now...

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-30, 06:01 PM
The No Light cantrip with a race that has darkvision is beastly at low levels.

Captnq
2013-12-30, 06:33 PM
From the WSA section of the EVD:

Miss Chance: Blurring and Displacement both give the wielder a miss chance. The blurring works all the time and displacement only for 15 rounds. Basically it’s like the cloak of displacement except much more expensive and it ends if you are disarmed or put your weapon away. Don’t be fooled. It’s a waste of money and of no real value. Back before the errata and displacement was 100,000 gp and on all the time, it might have been worth it, but not now. No, instead go with Smoking. Smoking gives a 20% miss chance that is due to cover as well as a number of other perks. I do recommend blurring or displacement, but get those in wondrous items or spells. Smoking is a keeper. Finally, duststorm. The problem is that it screws over your allies just as much as your enemies, but to have a damage causing cloud of total non-illusion concealment surrounding you is awesome. Combine it with smoking for real AoE cheese.

So get bluring, smoking, and duststorm in a weapon, then turn it into a Illithid Weapon Graft. The WSAs become extraordinary, so they work, even in AMF. Overkill? yup.

Teh_das
2013-12-30, 08:17 PM
There's always the ring of blink. Not much beats it, in my opinion.