PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Homebrew Reform

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-30, 12:49 AM
One of things in the Gestalt option that is not allowed is taking classes like the Ultimate Magus. But I think I have a fix so you can take those Prestige Classes.

We will use the Wyrm Wizard as an example. You make a Wizard//Fighter (or whatever). When you have gained the prereq's, you then go Wizard//Wyrm Wizard on the levels you don't gain a level of spellcasting. Now, this eliminates the missed spellcasting levels. You could, if you so desired, go with Wizard//Wyrm Wizard on those level you do gain a spellcasting level with Wyrm Wizard, and thus still gain the bonus feats and familiar progression, but you would only gain the one spellcasting level for wizard.

Here is another example using the Ultimate Magus. You start off with a Sorcerer//Wizard. When you meet the prereqs, you go into Ultimate Magus//Wizard. On those levels you would gain a spellcasting level in the prepared casting class, you only gain the one casting level, not one for Ultimate Magus and one for Wizard. Your Wizard casting level would be higher than the Sorcerer, as you have more Wizard levels, so you would gain a Sorcerer casting level when you would gain a spellcasting level of your lowest casting class.

Basically, you can take a level in the original casting class along with a prestige class that also gives you a level in spellcasting, but if the level of spellcasting you gain is a progression from a previous class, and the other half of your gestalt is that same previous class, you only gain one level of spellcasting. This eliminates the caster level being way higher than your character level.

Does this make sense? Is this a good idea?

Kaje
2013-12-30, 12:54 AM
If you're already homebrewing things, why not just... make it so you can take classes like that anyway?

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-30, 01:02 AM
If you're already homebrewing things, why not just... make it so you can take classes like that anyway?

...That is what I am doing... Thus this thread, to see if there is anything that breaks the game about it. I THINK I have the bases covered, here, and thus have a viable way for people to take these types of prestige classes, but I may (probably) have missed something.

Essentially, I want players to be able to get things like the class abilities of Ultimate Magus, and keep class abilities of the base classes they have, should they so choose.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-30, 01:03 AM
So, basically, you can theurge, but you can't double up on casting advancement?

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-30, 01:24 AM
So, basically, you can theurge, but you can't double up on casting advancement?

Well, if you want to put it simply... LOL! Yes, that is the idea. I think the only real problem is you can take the casting class on the other side of the gestalt for when you would lose a caster level with the prestige class, but thats not a bad thing, I think.

Oscredwin
2013-12-30, 01:30 AM
Gestalt rules talk about making custom PrC's that take both sides of the Gestalt. If you have an urge to thurge, take a class like Ultimate Magus, beef it up, and have it be your only class for the levels you take it. For something like UM, I would add a d12 HD, a good Fort save, and maybe 2 extra skill points per level. Or maybe as is with full casting on both sides.

Kaje
2013-12-30, 07:16 AM
Ok, you said it in such a convoluted manner for such a simple concept that it confused me.