PDA

View Full Version : Greyhawk for noobs?

G.Cube
2013-12-30, 09:30 AM
I'm DMing a game for three players with absolutely no rpg or table top gaming experience. I want something super cool and exciting to get them hooked with. Is Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk a bit out of their league as completely new players?

Khedrac
2013-12-30, 10:45 AM
Both yes and no.

Very little of the stuff in there is optimised*, which is good for new players, but starting at about level 8 is not good for players with no experience with the system. It also has fair chunks of stuff with very few pointers for the players to actually use it, not too much of a problem with experienced players, but for new players they just won't think to try some stuff.

*some bits are negatively optimised, in that the opponent's build is blatantly really really a waste of time, but the odd encounter is very nasty (I am thinking of one using 3.0 monsters that did get updated but still end up pretty broken.

TBH for getting people used to RPGs you probably want something rather shorter than EttRoCG. Once they have found they like it, then it might be a good choice for them as a campaign.

G.Cube
2013-12-30, 11:09 AM
Barring other people disagreeing with you, do you have any suggestions for exciting new player moduler campaigns? I don't really want to run Sunless Citadel. Granted, I don't know much about it, but what I do know of it seems really boring.

Khedrac
2013-12-30, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately I don't. I am a bit surprised no-one else has posted suggestions though.

(I didn't get Dungeon magazine, my main DM did so I stayed clear of it.) In general WotC published very few 3.5 modules compared with 3.0, so Dungeon is probably your best starting point. Perhaps start a new thread titled "adventures for players new to RPGs" or similar?

Envyus
2013-12-30, 04:43 PM
Maybe expedition to castle ravenloft or Red Hand of Doom. They start at 5th level so you have some good stuff off the bat but not too much.

Balain
2013-12-30, 05:50 PM
I would say for new players starting at level 1 is better than then at 5 or 8. We have been playing rpg's for 30 years and when we try new systems and start at higher levels we have issues sometimes. So people with no experience with rpg will probably be better off starting at level 1.

I recall not a lot of modules for 3.5. You may have to make up some simple adventures yourself.

Another suggestion is look at some of the 1st edition modules, or Basic modules and use the ideas from them for an adventure. Something like N1 Against the cult of the reptile god, or B1 In search of the unknown. The stats don't convert well. Switching 1st edition goblins for 3.5 goblins is no big deal, may have to adjust traps and such.

Mutazoia
2013-12-30, 08:15 PM
You could always try Keep on the Boarderlands (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/17158/B2-The-Keep-on-the-Borderlands-(Basic)?it=1). You may have to update one or two things before running it but it was considered THE introductory module of D&D for years.

juicycaboose
2013-12-30, 08:34 PM
The Shackled City is a campaign that runs from 1-20 so that's an option

Urpriest
2013-12-30, 09:24 PM
There are a couple Dungeon adventures designed for new players (away from my collection right now so can't check specifics).

You don't want to do a full module or the like, because you'll probably need to change things from adventure to adventure as your players get a feel for what they enjoy in a game. In general, you'll be better off making your own content if you're dealing with new players, gives you more flexibility.

Togo
2013-12-31, 08:41 AM
My go-to adventure for new players was always the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, as the tactical challenges ramp quite nicely. You'd need to update the encounters to 3.5 though.

Turk Mannion
2014-01-02, 12:23 AM
I will second Shackled City campaign. Great series of adventures.

Hurnn
2014-01-02, 02:54 AM
Keep on the Borderlands and Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh are both excelent starters, would be minimal effort to update both as in open the MM to the appropriate page and use the monster as presented.

AMFV
2014-01-02, 03:39 AM
I would say for new players starting at level 1 is better than then at 5 or 8. We have been playing rpg's for 30 years and when we try new systems and start at higher levels we have issues sometimes. So people with no experience with rpg will probably be better off starting at level 1.

I recall not a lot of modules for 3.5. You may have to make up some simple adventures yourself.

Another suggestion is look at some of the 1st edition modules, or Basic modules and use the ideas from them for an adventure. Something like N1 Against the cult of the reptile god, or B1 In search of the unknown. The stats don't convert well. Switching 1st edition goblins for 3.5 goblins is no big deal, may have to adjust traps and such.

I disagree strongly. I find that starting at level 1, with people less experienced in optimization tends to lead to a lot of player death, while starting at a higher level can avoid this sort of mess. For me 6 is about the ideal starting point when I'm teaching folks.