PDA

View Full Version : [3.P]Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil - Any way to make it more managable?

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-30, 11:14 AM
This is a prestige class I have fond memories of using - in fact it was the first time I ever played a full arcane caster. Unfortunately as just about everyone knows... IotSFV is pretty crazy powerful; particularly since it usually sits on top of an already crazy powerful arcane spellcaster class.

The thing is... I'd actually like to revisit that old character of mine in Pathfinder at some point in the future; but for obvious reasons I'm wary of even trying to introduce that PrC. Getting a DM to OK it would be... hard; and even if I pulled that off there's the risk of it overshadowing the entire rest of the group OR triggering a nasty magical arm's race that overshadows the campaign.

What also leaves me a little stumped is that my old IotSFV that I'd be reprising was a Sorcerer with a hybrid focus on blasting and control, so the character herself might not be as blatantly ridiculous as the PrC can be made to be... but I'm hesitant to ask a DM to just accept that I won't try to break the game when given such a powerful tool.

The problem of course is... how do you remove the biggest offenders from the IotSFV without making it either non-functional or killing the flavor?

Am I better off just trying to homebrew something from scratch instead?

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-30, 11:46 AM
The first change is to have AMFs shut down the veils.

The second change is to make the veils easier to negate: As-is you either need a Disjunction or a very specific spell prepared. Once you get double veils up it's especially nasty. I'd make them able to be dispelled as if they were a spell of your own caster level, and if you have double veils then shutting off one shuts off both.

The third change is to maybe get rid of the immediate action veils. This one depends on the power level of your group: In a low-op game, this is just plain mean, but in a mid-to-high-op game it's nothing to worry about. I'd use this simple metric: Are casters in your group allowed to use Celerity? If they aren't, get rid of immediate action veils. If they are, then go ahead and keep it.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-30, 01:58 PM
<o.o> *jots down* That is most helpful, thank you Craft (Cheese)!