PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 D&D] Phoenix Improved Familiar

Darkweave31
2013-12-30, 01:10 PM
This is my attempt at making the phoenix as a level 7 option for the improved familiar feat for good spellcasters. The balance point should be on par with the Imp (CR 2). The final product is hopefully something balanced and flavorful that gives players the opportunity to enjoy roleplaying with the mythical bird, but that's for you to judge :smallwink:

PHOENIX
{table]Size/type|Small Outsider (Good, Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice|3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative|+2
Speed|10ft. (2 squares), fly 80ft. (good)
Armor Class|18 (+1 size, +2 dex, +5 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base attack/Grapple| +3/-1
Attack|Talons +6 melee (1d4+1d4 fire)
Full attack|2 talons +6 melee (1d4+1d4 fire) and bite +1 melee (1d4+1d4 fire)
Space/reach|5ft./5ft.
Special attacks|Burn, Spell-like abilities
Special qualities|60ft darkvision, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold, regeneration 5, Magic Circle Against Evil
Saves|Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities|Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills|Diplomacy +7, Heal +8, Knowledge (any two) +6, Listen +8, Sense Motive +8, Spot +8, Tumble +8
Feats|Flyby attack, Weapon finesse
Environment|Any good-aligned plane
Organization|Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating|2
Treasure|None
Alignment|Always neutral good
Advancement|4-6 HD (small)
Level adjustment|- (Improved Familiar) [/table]
A phoenix is as large as an eagle, but its body is wreathed in red and gold feathers that dance like fire when it takes flight.

A phoenix can speak common, ignan, and celestial

Alternate Form (Ex)
The phoenix may, at any time, burst into flame and assume the form of a diminuative egg. The fire does not harm creatures around the pphoenix and the egg appears in a small pile of ashes. In this form the phoenix is treated as having strength and dexterity of 0 and is thus unable to move on its own power. In addition it loses access to its Magic circle against evil and spell-like abilities. When a phoenix is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by lethal or non-lethal damage it automatically reverts to this form while it regenerates. The phoenix may still take damage in its egg form.

Burn (Ex)
A phoenix's natural attacks deal their normal damage plus fire damage from the phoenix’s flaming body. Those hit by a phoenix's natual attack also must succeed on a Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is 12. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures hitting a phoenix with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the phoenix’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save. Merely touching the phoenix does not activate this ability, only violent action.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su)
A magic circle against evil effect always surrounds a phoenix (caster level equals the phoenix’s Hit Dice). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in the phoenix’s statistics block.)

Regeneration
A phoenix takes damage from evil-aligned weapons and from spells and effects with the evil descriptor.

Spell-like abilities
At will - aid, continual flame, detect evil; 1/day Burning Hands (DC 13). Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

So there you all have it. I will admit that I got a little lazy with the skills, just picking 8 with max ranks.

The spell-like abilities were borrowed from the lantern archon. I felt that each fit the phoenix well and there was precedent with the archon. Same story with the magic circle against evil. Burning hands was added because fire.

I felt that the burn ability of fire elementals was the most elegant way to model the concept of the fire bird. The attacks and physical stats were modeled on the eagle.

Regeneration and alternate form is meant to model the rebirth cycle and rising from the ashes that is often a popular characteristic of the phoenix in lore.

So that pretty much covers everything. Hopefully if I went overboard you guys can help balance it out. Critique? Comments? Concerns?

AstralFire
2013-12-30, 09:48 PM
You need to cover what happens if the egg is struck?

Darkweave31
2013-12-30, 10:24 PM
You need to cover what happens if the egg is struck?

It was intended to simply continue to follow the rules for when any creature with regeneration gets hit. If it is an evil aligned attack it can damage and possibly kill, if not then the damage becomes non-lethal.

Would it aid clarity to add this line: "A phoenix that is struck in egg form continues to take damage as described by the regeneration ability."

nonsi
2013-12-31, 03:10 PM
Something's missing: flaming upon death & rebirth.

Darkweave31
2013-12-31, 07:57 PM
The rebirth cycle was meant to be simulated by regeneration and reverting to the egg when it takes too much damage. Then, once it regenerates it can reappear as the phoenix. I added a little but of fluff text in the first few sentences of the alternate form ability to solidify the whole burst into flames thing.