PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Skill Synergy

Ziegander
2013-12-30, 03:08 PM
Did Pathfinder do away with synergy bonuses to skills? I could've sworn they were there, but I've never actually played the game. It's very possible that I'm remembering them from an early playtest document.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-30, 03:11 PM
Don't know about the playtest versions, but in the release version they're gone.

Bigbeefie
2013-12-30, 03:22 PM
None. But the pathfinder skills are strong and they have combined a lot of skills into one. Like perception vs search Listen and spot. 3 skills rolled up into 1 meaning more skill points to put other places. You should really sit down and look into it and run a pre-made or something just to get a good feeling for the changes. you will be quiet surprised. I know our group has converted at least 5, 3.5 junkies over to pathfinder because they enjoy the stream lining and ease of making characters. It still offers tons of options but doesn't overwhelm. The characters actually turn out stronger and the overhaul on spells seems to balance check them much better then older version.

Karoht
2013-12-30, 03:26 PM
There is IF you take the Skill Focus feats. Skill Focus normally grants +2 on a skill, if you get above 10 ranks it grants +4. Sadly, that's about as far as the synergy goes.

Greenish
2013-12-30, 03:35 PM
There is IF you take the Skill Focus feats. Skill Focus normally grants +2 on a skill, if you get above 10 ranks it grants +4. Sadly, that's about as far as the synergy goes.Skill Focus is +3/+6 to one skill, the Sneaky/Survivor/whatever feats that boost two skills are +2/+4.

Grey Watcher
2013-12-30, 03:39 PM
There is IF you take the Skill Focus feats. Skill Focus normally grants +2 on a skill, if you get above 10 ranks it grants +4. Sadly, that's about as far as the synergy goes.

The "+2 to two skills" feats (ie Persuasive, Acrobatic, Magical Aptitude, Scholar, etc), have a similar mechanic, with the bonuses to each skill doubling to +4 if you have 10 or more ranks in the given skill.

Also, Skill Focus is +3, doubling to +6 [/insufferable pedantry]

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Eldariel
2013-12-30, 04:06 PM
Overall, the skill system works more smoothly since cross-class tax has been removed and the number of skills is more in line with the skill point intake (especially coupled with the extras from Favored Class). Being adequate in all your class skills is now much cheaper. That said, yeah, I miss some degree of synergy (not necessarily to overcap skills but to have some skills in similar stuff you don't have specific ranks in; e.g. a good diplomat could probably be quite intimidating should he choose to).