PDA

View Full Version : Question about Demiplanes

FabulousFizban
2013-12-30, 06:15 PM
When casting greater create demiplane in pathfinder you have the option of affecting the way time flows, specifically:

Time: By default, time passes at the normal rate in your demiplane. By selecting this feature, you may make your plane have the erratic time, flowing time (half or double normal time), or timeless trait (see Time, GameMastery Guide 185).

Now, under the Time section of the GMG, for timeless it states, "If a plane is timeless with respect to magic, any spell cast with a noninstantaneous duration is permanent until dispelled."

Does this mean that if the original demiplane is made permanent (with permanancy) and has the timeless feature, that you can indefinitely expand the demiplane by casting create demiplane again and again without having to pay the permanancy cost for each new expansion (if the spell is cast within the demiplane)? To say nothing of creating something like a permanent gate or teleportation circle?

FabulousFizban
2013-12-30, 06:25 PM
additional question, how do you get out of a dead magic demiplane?

TuggyNE
2013-12-30, 06:51 PM
When casting greater create demiplane in pathfinder you have the option of affecting the way time flows, specifically:

Time: By default, time passes at the normal rate in your demiplane. By selecting this feature, you may make your plane have the erratic time, flowing time (half or double normal time), or timeless trait (see Time, GameMastery Guide 185).

Now, under the Time section of the GMG, for timeless it states, "If a plane is timeless with respect to magic, any spell cast with a noninstantaneous duration is permanent until dispelled."

Does this mean that if the original demiplane is made permanent (with permanancy) and has the timeless feature, that you can indefinitely expand the demiplane by casting create demiplane again and again without having to pay the permanancy cost for each new expansion (if the spell is cast within the demiplane)?

I expect so.

The permanent portals the spell can provide, otherwise wish from someone outside. Otherwise haha you don't! :smallsigh:

Magesmiley
2013-12-30, 06:55 PM

I can think of a few ways:
1. A naturally occurring portal
2. Someone on a plane where magic works opens a portal to the plane
3. In some cases artifacts made by gods still have powers that work.
4. Some sort of a magical effect enters the dead magic plane which specifically allows magic to work locally, overriding local effects. This last one is a maybe, but if the spell was specifically designed for this sort of situation, it'd probably work.

CombatOwl
2013-12-30, 06:59 PM

Does this mean that if the original demiplane is made permanent (with permanancy) and has the timeless feature, that you can indefinitely expand the demiplane by casting create demiplane again and again without having to pay the permanancy cost for each new expansion (if the spell is cast within the demiplane)? To say nothing of creating something like a permanent gate or teleportation circle?

You can do that with any demiplane. Casting create demiplane in order to expand a demiplane always has an instantaneous duration.

FabulousFizban
2013-12-30, 07:02 PM
1 day/level or instantaneous, D'oh. Thanks for pointing that out owl.

I was planning on using a timeless dead magic demiplane as a prison in my game. Your answers help me prep, thank you.

... It is also a tesseract, the only thing more amusing to me than not being able to escape my prison is being confused as hell while you're there.

EDIT: although i notice per the srd the instantaneous duration doesn't apply to lesser create demiplane. Probably an oversight.

CombatOwl
2013-12-30, 07:07 PM
1 day/level or instantaneous, D'oh. Thanks for pointing that out owl.

I was planning on using a timeless dead magic demiplane as a prison in my game. Your answers help me prep, thank you.

... It is also a tesseract.

EDIT: although i notice per the srd the instantaneous duration doesn't apply to lesser create demiplane. Probably an oversight.

No, quite certainly intentional. It's a very easily breakable spell.