PDA

View Full Version : Hayao Miyazaki

Haruki-kun
2007-01-19, 01:39 PM
For all those of you who like Animé. You probably (surely) kno Hayao Miyazaki's movies. So out of all of them, what is your favorite?

Hehe, I love polls.....

Edit: Yay! I'm a halfling now!!!!!

Teal Kuinshi
2007-01-19, 06:06 PM
Howl's Moving Castle. I thought that the Japanese adaptation of Jones' book was an excellent idea, and while they didn't exactly go hand-in-hand (which is to be expected), they both were entertaining to read/watch and compare.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-19, 07:20 PM
Princess Mononoke. It had violence. Also I was waiting the whole time for someone to call her "Princess Mono" and everybody would be like "lol."

kuja.girl
2007-01-19, 07:40 PM
First choice: Spirited away
Second choice: Howl's Moving Castle

"Spirited Away" was the best story Miyazaki's done in a long time and had what I think was the most interesting story. I was very lucky to have gotten to watch Mononoke Hime and Nausicaa on (Japanese) VHS before they came state-side.

You may be interested to know that his son recently released a movie and Miyazaki plans to release another one because he doesn't want to be out done by his son. :smallbiggrin:

Thank god Miyazaki did a liberal interpretation of Howl's. I recently read the book (after seeing the movie) and was reminded of why I don't like Jones' writing -it's pretty boring.

Maryring
2007-01-19, 07:41 PM
That would be a tie between Howl's and Spirited. Both were great, but since I had read the book about Howl's Moving Castle, I found that movie slightly more enjoyable. I also like how the characters were changed into the movie. The With of the East in the movie is far more preffered than the one in the book.

0wca
2007-01-19, 08:02 PM
Definately PRINCESS MONONOKE!

Silly_Bean
2007-01-20, 05:58 AM
What a horrible question. After much deliberating i have chosen spirited away purely because i've seen that the most number of times and still enjoy it. I LOVE studio ghibli films especially Hayao Miyazaki and my christmas money has been spent on the collection rather than rent and food.

bosssmiley
2007-01-20, 04:34 PM
Totoro! is! SUPERIOR!

Seriously, I love that film! The artwork and animation is great, the character observation acute (little Mai moves and reacts exactly like my younger sister did when she was little). Even the slow pacing of the story is a wonderful evocation of childhood where even a single day stretches out seemingly forever.

Flawless. Elegiac. Lapidiary. A true masterpiece.

IMO "Totoro" was much more moving and interesting - as well as being a more fulfilling ecological fable - than the over-rated "Nausicaa" or the interminable "Princess Mono-no-plot". "Spirited Away" was good, but too direct an "Alice in Wonderland" rip for my tastes. "Naputa" had good visuals, but a *meh* story. "Porco Rosso" just didn't engage me.

Film 4's "Studio Ghibli" season. Worth the cable fee in it's own right.

Amotis
2007-01-20, 04:36 PM
Totoro!

Comedy option aside, I don't really like him. All the stuff has the same flavor and it also bugs me that besides one or two movies, all the females are exactly the same.

zachol
2007-01-21, 01:38 AM
Out of the few I've seen (Kiki, Spirited Away, and Porco Rosso), I prefer Porco Rosso.

I don't really like the "realistic" animation style of Studio Ghibli, though.
The chins, of movies like Spirited Away (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away), are sort of annoying.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 10:43 AM
I liked Princess Mononoke, personally. I've only seen Mononoke, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky, and of those, Mononoke is my favorite. Castle in the Sky is second, Spirited Away third, and Nausicaa 4th.

The reason for my dislike for the Nausicaa movie is this: I'd read the mangas well before ever seeing the movie. Thus, to me, the movie was but a pale, washed out, truncated copy of the true awesomeness of Nausicaa.

Ebon_Drake
2007-01-21, 02:25 PM
Porco Rosso, with Kiki's Delivery Service a close second. I found both of them funny, endearing and not too predictable, which is my biggest problem with his films.

Film 4's "Studio Ghibli" season. Worth the cable fee in it's own right.

Hmm, that's where I saw most of Miyazaki's films as well. Although I watched it on Freeview, since I'm far too tight-fisted to pay for cable.

Glaivemaster
2007-01-21, 03:16 PM
I've not seen all of these films, and I'm going to see Howl's soon. I hear that's one of the best

My vote went to Nausicaa. I find it hard to ever visualise somebody who doesn't fight winning a war in any way, but this made me see that it could be done. That's from what I remember anyway.

I never understood why people like Mononoke however. Nothing much happens, and nobody does or says anything inspiring or interesting really. I don't get what's so good

Spirited Away is probably my second. I just like the weird, fairytale, disjointed, dreamlike element of it.

Ptolemy
2007-01-21, 04:26 PM
I'd have to say that Castle in the Sky is my favorite. I've seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle besides Castle, but there's just something about it that I really like.

PS Miyazaki is a genius.

Jerthanis
2007-01-21, 10:21 PM
Totoro!

Comedy option aside, I don't really like him. All the stuff has the same flavor and it also bugs me that besides one or two movies, all the females are exactly the same.

That's a valid complaint, but from my perspective, when you like any one of Sheeta/Sophie/San/Kiki/Nausicaa, you like them all. However, I'd still say that Spirited Away is my favorite, and Chihiro is probably one of the more different from the rest female protagonists that Miyazaki has written. I found Sophie more interesting than Sheeta "my purpose is the plot", San "I'm only really a bit part, despite being the title character" or Kiki "I swear my motives/actions make sense, really", but I can certainly see the core character being the same. Steely determination covered in layers of selfless, loving cheerfulness.

I don't really see the "Lewis Carol ripoff" in Spirited Away, I like surreal otherworldly journey stories, and don't think the whole genre should be regulated to "Alice in Wonderland ripoffs" Is Labyrinth an Alice in Wonderland ripoff? is Being John Malkovich?

Jonnadiah
2007-01-21, 10:27 PM
It's a tossup between Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, to be frank.

Amotis
2007-01-21, 10:47 PM
That's a valid complaint, but from my perspective, when you like any one of Sheeta/Sophie/San/Kiki/Nausicaa, you like them all. However, I'd still say that Spirited Away is my favorite, and Chihiro is probably one of the more different from the rest female protagonists that Miyazaki has written. I found Sophie more interesting than Sheeta "my purpose is the plot", San "I'm only really a bit part, despite being the title character" or Kiki "I swear my motives/actions make sense, really", but I can certainly see the core character being the same. Steely determination covered in layers of selfless, loving cheerfulness.

Well...I can't argue if you like characters being the same...That was kinda my point.

J_Muller
2007-01-22, 01:27 AM
Monoke FTW.

Giant devil-boar, guy riding a deer, chicks with guns. 'Nuff said.

Fale
2007-01-22, 01:58 AM
My Neighbor Totoro was the very first anime I ever saw and loved it at the time. Many years later (about ten IIRC), I manged to track it down and rewatched it quite recently. Unfortunately I can't say I loved as much as I had. The storyline was too weak for me now (but it still made an excellent kids movie).

I voted for Spirited Away. It was nothing like an American animated family movie by it was strangely very enjoyable. Watched this one several times.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-22, 01:02 PM
Spirited away was especially good because it could reach a broader audience.

Thes Hunter
2007-01-22, 07:39 PM
I did not take the time to go look on IMDB, but I thought Whisper of the Heart was a Studio Ghibli project, but not directed my Miyazaki Hayao.

And I see there are a few people who do agree with me that Porco Russo, is the best. And I have seen every single film there. :smallwink:

Sailacela
2007-01-22, 07:52 PM
I voted for Nausicaa. I saw it for the first time when I was 8 or 9ish and it introduced me to Hayao Miyazaki. I remember being in complete awe when I watched it and, at the time, I thought it was the most perfect animated film I'd ever seen. My perspective has changed over the years but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Baldknight
2007-01-24, 12:42 PM
I would have voted for Nausicaa but I can't after reading the manga, so I pick Mononoke instead which is full of action, adventure and all that stuff. Interesting characters as well.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-01-24, 12:56 PM
I've only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I think Nausicaa and Howl's Moving Castle look so interesting. I need to see them all sometime.

kuja.girl
2007-01-24, 02:02 PM
The first time I saw Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) I was a little weired out (I think I was 12-14 yrs old).
I liked it, (the dust motes are awesome!) but it was very strange, even for a kid raised on x-men and the like.

It's like the Super Mario games - very strange but still wonderful.

Amotis
2007-01-24, 02:48 PM
It's like the Super Mario games - very strange but still wonderful.

The super mario games are strange? :smallconfused:

Athenodorus
2007-01-25, 07:55 AM
Spirited Away was sublime, but I hold a special place in my heart for Laputa, Castle in the Sky. (The first word was removed for the english release.)

If you have not seen it, and liked Spirited Away, I strongly reccomend it. The music alone is hauntingly good. (Now I have the theme stuck in my head. I need to add it to my playlist.)

JellyPooga
2007-01-25, 08:03 AM
My vote goes for Nausicaa. I don't really know why I like it as much as I do, but I just can't get enough of that film. I really want to get hold of the books as soon as I can get the money together (and suspect I will think the film blasphemous after reading them). It's just the sublime combination of the music, characters, imagery, etc. that other Miyazaki films have in bits and pieces (one will have good music, another good imagery, etc), but Nausicaa has them all.

MrsbwcMD
2007-01-25, 11:12 AM
I personally have either seen and/or own almost all of Miyazaki's currently released films. He is my favorite Japanese director, animated or otherwise. I voted for "Princess Mononoke" because I like the storyline and the fact that there is no true black and white "good vs. evil" battle. There are a lot of gray areas covered. My second choice would be "Howl's Moving Castle." I liked the book, and though it is different in some areas, I really enjoyed the movie. Third would be "Spirited Away" for the original storyline and fun characters. After that, it would be a toss up between "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service."
About six or seven years ago, my mom was directing a child care center, and once in a while, the kids were allowed to watch videos before lunch time. She raided my VHS collection of animated movies, and took "Totoro" and "Kiki." The kids absolutely loved them and always asked to watch them. I was delighted to pass on my love of anime to them!

0wca
2007-01-25, 10:31 PM
I voted for "Princess Mononoke" because I like the storyline and the fact that there is no true black and white "good vs. evil" battle.

Right on! :smallcool:

Deaddude
2007-01-26, 12:51 PM
Wow, I liked most of Miyazaki's films tho I found Nausicaa highly boring. I would have to say either Princess Mononoke of Spirited Away to be my favourites.

Jerthanis
2007-01-26, 01:00 PM
The super mario games are strange? :smallconfused:

You are a plumber who travels through pipes into a magical "Mushroom kingdom" where the princess is kidnapped by a giant fire-breathing turtle, and you have to rescue her by obtaining powerups such as mushrooms and fire flowers, all the while exploring a world littered with bizare monsters from the indescribable "Goomba" to the thorny venus flytrap-like plants which frequently strike from within the pipes you use to travel.

That is exceedingly strange, when you think about it.

Amotis
2007-01-26, 03:58 PM
You are a plumber who travels through pipes into a magical "Mushroom kingdom" where the princess is kidnapped by a giant fire-breathing turtle, and you have to rescue her by obtaining powerups such as mushrooms and fire flowers, all the while exploring a world littered with bizare monsters from the indescribable "Goomba" to the thorny venus flytrap-like plants which frequently strike from within the pipes you use to travel.

That is exceedingly strange, when you think about it.

Yes but the plot is just rescue the princess. I mean, the characters are...but they're just monsters if you think about it.

bosssmiley
2007-01-27, 01:16 PM
Poll needs more "The Cat Returns". Now there's a rockin' swashbuckler/'rescue the princess' film.

Arang
2007-01-28, 04:30 PM
I voted (Laputa:) Castle in the Sky, mainly because of its fantastic score, the environment, the background, the giant tree and the air pirates.

Still, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro are all fantastic films. Some of the greatest moments for me were when Porco Rosso is just flying over the sea through patches of sunlight and the train going over the ocean.