PDA

View Full Version : Question about cleric domains

Deca4531
2013-12-30, 07:28 PM
If you don't choose a specific god can you choose any domain? For my build I wanted the Planning and Death domain so I can gain Extend Spell and Extra Turning as free feats. Is this legal? Also if I latter decide to worship a specific god do I loose these domains?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-30, 07:34 PM
I think you mean Undeath, not Death. Yes, as long as you can find some sort of theme or ideal for your Cleric to worship or represent that both domains fit with, you can pick them.

If you switch to worshiping a deity, and that deity doesn't offer those domains, then that deity cannot grant you those domains' powers and spells. You'll have to retrain per PH2 to pick new domains that your deity offers, or simply lose access to any that are unsupported.

Deca4531
2013-12-30, 08:33 PM
Ok 1 other question, if I go Ur Priest do I loose my domain granted feats?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-30, 08:40 PM
Ok 1 other question, if I go Ur Priest do I loose my domain granted feats?

Not necessarily, but it's up to your DM. Those feats are granted as supernatural domain powers, so any loss of special Cleric class features would result in their loss. While Ur-Priest only specifically forces you to sacrifice divine spellcasting ability in other classes, and not all divine abilities such as domain powers, it strongly hints that a Cleric who becomes an Ur-Priest would be an ex-Cleric thus resulting in the loss of all Cleric class features. If you have a very tolerant DM, you could start as a neutral Cleric who turns undead, then switch to evil and take Ur-Priest, keeping your ability to turn undead as well as your domain powers, and gaining the ability to rebuke undead from Ur-Priest, doubling your pool of turn/rebuke uses.

Deca4531
2013-12-30, 08:51 PM
Ex-Clerics

A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see theatonement*spell description).

Its a little vague about clerics without a god and thus no set code. I can see nothing by RAW that would stop me from say taking a lv of cleric, 4 in fighter then picking up Ur Priest.

Gullintanni
2013-12-30, 11:34 PM
Most gods grant spells to their followers. An ur-priest who steals spells from his god is likely no longer considered a follower, and given that most priesthoods require you to be a follower to be a priest, you've probably placed yourself in violation of your priesthood's code of conduct, and thus in ex-cleric territory.

...More lenient DMs may have another interpretation, but that's how I see things shaping up.

Deca4531
2013-12-31, 03:15 PM
Most gods grant spells to their followers. An ur-priest who steals spells from his god is likely no longer considered a follower, and given that most priesthoods require you to be a follower to be a priest, you've probably placed yourself in violation of your priesthood's code of conduct, and thus in ex-cleric territory.

...More lenient DMs may have another interpretation, but that's how I see things shaping up.

I certainly agree with this, but things get a bit more hazy when you don't worship a specific god. Also, if I'm evil to begin with, which is a requirement for Ur Priest anyway I can see stealing from other gods to be perfectly acceptable.