PDA

View Full Version : Extreme-range telepathy or other communication methods

Kazyan
2013-12-30, 10:14 PM
Are there any monsters in the books that have really long telepathy ranges? One example is the Spell Weaver, which has a 1000 mile telepathy range, but those don't serve my worldbuilding purposes because they don't talk to other races.

I'm looking for monsters whose telepathy--or some other communication method--can transmit information across an entire campaign world.

Skysaber
2013-12-30, 10:18 PM
Abeils from MM2 p22 have 25 mile telepathy range with their own race only. But while imperialist and expansionist, do often communicate with others. So if you can give them a valid reason to, those could serve as your communication hub.

I am interested to know if there are any known feats, spells or magic items that extend telepathy range, so I'll toss that in as a subset of your request.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-30, 10:19 PM
Ice Assassin or Simulacrum of a Spellweaver can do it, gets around the pesky little issue that you mentioned.

Formian Queen's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm#queen) have 50 mile telepathy.

I tend to use Permanent Telepathic Bonds if it is between fixed locations. You can, if you invest in it, set up switching stations and an entire network.

Have the Queen's act as hubs (with Mindsight so that they are aware of, and can thus talk to, anything with a mind within 50 miles) and then link them together through permanent telepathic bonds. It's basically a cellphone service with the Queen's acting as cellphone towers.

It also depends somewhat on what kind of bandwidth that you want, and what kind of infrastructure requirements you are willing to accept.

Kazyan
2013-12-30, 10:27 PM
Ice Assassin or Simulacrum of a Spellweaver can do it, gets around the pesky little issue that you mentioned.

Formian Queen's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm#queen) have 50 mile telepathy.

I tend to use Permanent Telepathic Bonds if it is between fixed locations. You can, if you invest in it, set up switching stations and an entire network.

Have the Queen's act as hubs (with Mindsight so that they are aware of, and can thus talk to, anything with a mind within 50 miles) and then link them together through permanent telepathic bonds. It's basically a cellphone service with the Queen's acting as cellphone towers.

It also depends somewhat on what kind of bandwidth that you want, and what kind of infrastructure requirements you are willing to accept.

Good ideas. I think a single Simulacrum Spellweaver in one of the cities would make the most interesting and least-investment setting piece, so I'll use that. Permanent Telepathic Bonds on a network of captured/Simulacrum'd Formian Queens is a bit beyond the scope of my setting's development--it has only mild Tippyverse elements; it's more of a "Monsterverse".

EDIT: Actually, I need more than one, looking over their telepathy again. Hmm.