PDA

View Full Version : Inukchuk

Amon Star
2007-01-19, 02:10 PM
Where does that word come from? Have heard/seen it used twice now, once as the title of comic # 111 and once on Robot Chicken. I also worked out what it means. But seriously, when was it first first and why?

fwiffo
2007-01-19, 02:25 PM
Sounds like an Eskimo word and looking at the statues, seems like that is where it comes from.

What's the reason it is title of 111? Hmmm.... Durkon's spell doesn't really make him look like the typical statue, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

LordFluffy
2007-01-19, 02:27 PM
It's the word that SuperChief (I think that was his name), the token American Indian from the Superfriends (along with Black Lightning and Super Samurai) used to activate his powers, namely growth. If he said it enough times he could grow large enough to put the Earth in his pocket.

WampaX
2007-01-19, 02:44 PM
It's the word that SuperChief (I think that was his name), the token American Indian from the Superfriends (along with Black Lightning and Super Samurai) used to activate his powers, namely growth. If he said it enough times he could grow large enough to put the Earth in his pocket.

Apache Chief.
Wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Chief)

r23r5
2007-01-19, 05:53 PM
inukchuk is an eskimo word, it means statue of man (or something along those lines), it is used for hunting. The inukchuk shows where thers a good hunting spot( I should now i am canadian)

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-20, 12:11 AM
Yes, but the REFERENCE is to the worst super hero ever, Apache Chief. Listen to the yeti!

Setra
2007-01-20, 12:12 AM
Yes, but the REFERENCE is to the worst super hero ever, Apache Chief. Listen to the yeti!

What about Aquaman?

Wiione
2007-01-20, 01:38 AM

(sigh) That's wampa. (sorry, I'm a Star Wars geek.)

archon_huskie
2007-01-20, 02:20 AM
What about Aquaman?
Aquaman has super-strength, can breathe underwater, telepathically control marine life, and my favorite, has the world's largest military force at his beck and call. It's good to be King of Atlantis. Plus he's also NOT a walking stereotype.

So no, Aquaman is not the worst hero ever.

The Extinguisher
2007-01-20, 02:26 AM
That title is reserved for Daredevil (He's blind, but can actually see!), who just beat out The Iron Banjo

Anyway, back on topic, that title was very clever. I laughed.

Setra
2007-01-20, 04:57 AM
Aquaman has super-strength, can breathe underwater, telepathically control marine life, and my favorite, has the world's largest military force at his beck and call. It's good to be King of Atlantis. Plus he's also NOT a walking stereotype.

So no, Aquaman is not the worst hero ever.
Aquaman -
When you're in the water, surrounded by Ocean, Sharks, Fish, and Whales, suddenly you're the strongest man alive.

Most people dislike him as a hero, I like him, I commented it because I wanted to try to make people laugh.

More on topic, I almost never notice the Titles of Comics, because you can only see them from the archive, or when they're new.

Ps. Green Lantern is my favorite.
Pps. Yeah but Batman doesn't actually HAVE any Powers, its not just powers that make a Hero, Daredevil is cool, Batman is my second favorite Marvel DC Hero.

Amon Star
2007-01-20, 05:59 AM
Thank you everyone. Now I know. It's an Apache word that means Big-Man, which was first used in Super Friends, and an Eskimo word that means Statue of Man.

Pps. Yeah but Batman doesn't actually HAVE any Powers, its not just powers that make a Hero, Daredevil is cool, Batman is my second favorite Marvel Hero.

Batman is DC, not Marvel. Sorry.

Alfryd
2007-01-20, 07:41 AM
...but Batman doesn't actually HAVE any Powers...
Correct. Just as lacking powers need not diminish one's awesomeness, posessing them does not confer greatness. Aquaman is lame, lame, lame. Though slightly less so in DCAU.

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-20, 07:18 PM
What about Aquaman?

Still the worst. At least Aquaman isn't a stereotype.

Ampersand
2007-01-20, 07:38 PM
On the other hand, Apache Chief was featured in a rather funny episode of Harvey Birdman. The "Multiculture Pals" segment at the end is chortle worthy.

Setra
2007-01-21, 03:46 AM
Thank you everyone. Now I know. It's an Apache word that means Big-Man, which was first used in Super Friends, and an Eskimo word that means Statue of Man.

Batman is DC, not Marvel. Sorry.

Argh I mix those up, I meant to say DC. Either way, Batman is still awesome.

Amon Star
2007-01-21, 05:51 AM
Argh I mix those up, I meant to say DC. Either way, Batman is still awesome.

Agreed. He's my favourite DC hearing too. Though I can't stand the earlier comics.