PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Blood, Dragon Wings

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 12:14 AM
Would a Strongheart Halfling Dragonfire Adept be able to have Dragon Wings and Aberrant Blood feat?

If that is too obtuse of a question... what is the order of operations for 'must take at 1st level' feats?

Can I use a feat granted by my first level class in order to take my level character feat?

I think not... but maybe?

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 12:55 AM
Abberant Blood requires the humanoid type
Dragon Wings requires the dragonblood subtype

"must take at 1st level" feats do not have an order of operation nor would such an order be relevant since you can take feats if you qualify for them later in the level up process.

Strongheart Halfling Dragonfire Adept:
Halfling: Humanoid type
DA Bonus feat: Dragontouched feat: Dragonblood subtype
1st HD feat & Strongheart Bonus feat: Aberrant Blood & Dragon Wings [order unimportant]

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 01:06 AM
Abberant Blood requires the humanoid type
Dragon Wings requires the dragonblood subtype

"must take at 1st level" feats do not have an order of operation nor would such an order be relevant since you can take feats if you qualify for them later in the level up process.

Strongheart Halfling Dragonfire Adept:
Halfling: Humanoid type
DA Bonus feat: Dragontouched feat: Dragonblood subtype
1st HD feat & Strongheart Bonus feat: Aberrant Blood & Dragon Wings [order unimportant]

so... thats a... yes? Yes you could do those two as a Strongheart Halfling Dragonfire Adept?

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 01:07 AM
That's a yes even without flaws.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 01:15 AM
YAY!

So, now, in my twisted little head, for my twisted little builds...

the question is...

go half minotaur feral strongheart halfling with abberant blood and dragon wings, or go half minotaur feral bat and find some way to increase reach that I like (maybe willing deform? dm wont like that....)

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 01:35 AM
I do hope to see this build when it is finished.

I would go for the Halfling over the Bat. You are more confident that it will mesh with the DM.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 02:24 AM
I haven't checked for feats, or cobbled much together yet, but its shaping up kinda like this:

Anthropomorphic Bat
1 Feral 0
1 Half-Minotaur 0
2 Swordsage
2 Totemist
1 Barbarian
2 Monk
2 Drunken Master
3 Umbral Deciple
3 Binder

but that willing deformity thing is going to kill me, and I'd LOVE and extra 5 reach baked in. So:

StrongHeart Halfling
1 Feral 0
1 Half-Minotaur 0
2 DragonFire Adept
2 Totemist
1 Barbarian
2 Monk
2 Drunken Master
3 Umbral Deciple
3 Binder
2 SwordSage

The problem is that then to get flight I'm spending 3 feats instead of just having it racially, and my wisdom is considerably lower (though strength is higher), and I have to burn 2 more just to get the reach I want; not to mention that I now I have to bind the Behir totem to get a bite attack... wheras willing deformity on batman, I'd be net like 4 or some feats... so.... slime arms ARE cooler than stretched limbs... but man I could make USE of those feats, you know?

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 03:00 AM
Why Dragonfire Adept 2 rather than 1?

The Halfling costs 1 additional level (Dragonfire Adept 1) and 2 additional feats to gain flight (dragontouched is free with the Dragonfire Adept level).

Something else to consider is alignment.
The Halfling is restricted to any chaotic (via Chaos Monk DR335 p88) or any non lawful (via Rogue 2 + Improved Unarmed Strike feat).

The Bat would be restricted to CE (Chaos Monk) or NE-CE (Rog + IUS)

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 11:45 AM
The Halfling costs 1 additional level (Dragonfire Adept 1) and 2 additional feats to gain flight (dragontouched is free with the Dragonfire Adept level).

Well, I consider taking a level for a feature I wouldn't need or want otherwise, also the loss of a feat, because I could be taking fighter instead :p

Something else to consider is alignment.
The Halfling is restricted to any chaotic (via Chaos Monk DR335 p88) or any non lawful (via Rogue 2 + Improved Unarmed Strike feat).

The Bat would be restricted to CE (Chaos Monk) or NE-CE (Rog + IUS)

Page 102 of Savage Species is good enough for us on this point. I mean, the whole point of being an adventurer is to be a one-in-a-million kinda guy.

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 12:33 PM
Well, I consider taking a level for a feature I wouldn't need or want otherwise, also the loss of a feat, because I could be taking fighter instead :p

Page 102 of Savage Species is good enough for us on this point. I mean, the whole point of being an adventurer is to be a one-in-a-million kinda guy.
I marked it as a level cost since levels are a different economy than feats even if levels can be converted into feats. However if you wish to round down 1level+2feats to 3feats then go ahead.

The alignment comment was about alignment prerequisites of feats and classes. I do not see how pg 102 of SS applies.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-31, 12:37 PM
The alignment comment was about alignment prerequisites of feats and classes. I do not see how pg 102 of SS applies.

Woops. My bad. Hadn't had my coffee yet.

------------

OldTrees1
2013-12-31, 01:43 PM
Woops. My bad. Hadn't had my coffee yet.

------------
on another note, would adding Aberrant BLood as my Strongheart Halfling bonus feat be kosher if I'm adding feral (monst. hum) on top of it? The idea is that the Aberrant blood is in the humanoid halfling tribe before (or maybe, it is the reason?) they go feral.

of course, it could also be argued that years of living in nature washes that filthy aberrant blood out, and they 'lose' it, because abberant blood only belongs in humanoids....

fluff is easy and fun to right. Whats the RAW?
No prob. I was looking for the pg 102 quote so you saved me some hassle.
----

Feral will inactivate the Aberrant Blood feat if you already have it and will prevent you from taking it if you do not already have it.

Inhuman Reach only requires you have Aberrant Blood, not that it is active.

So to have Feral and Inhuman Reach you would need to gain Feral after taking Aberrant Blood.

During character generation, Inherent templates are added before feats are selected.

However Savage Species has a get around by allowing you to change your race via rituals after you gain class levels.
A Strongheart Halfling (for example) could
Use the ritual of Unlearning: 3 Days, Lose 3 levels, pay 21000gp (in 7000gp payments per level up)
Use the ritual of Vitality: 3 Days, Lose 3000xp, pay 21000gp (in 7000gp payments per level up)
Use the ritual of Wish: 26,530gp