PDA

View Full Version : Factotum / Iaijutsu Master.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 12:34 AM
Hi GiTP, I was thinking of making a Factotum Iaijutsu focus based character. He would then move into Iaijutsu master for the tasty tasty cha to dmg.
The build would go like this:

Factotum 1-3/fighter 1 (drow fighter)/factotum 4/master of masks 1/factotum 5-8/Iaijutsu Master 10

The goal would be to stay in katana focus (that way the GM wont find it too Overpowered) and should the need arise, Cunning surge in more strikes.
(Std action to sheathe, free unsheathe, std action to attack... 6 IP cost... is there any better way after I've used my move action?).

Feats would go like this:

Able learner, Keen Intellect (so I can dump Wis), Darkstalker, Weapon finnesse, Improved Initiate, Quick draw, Weapon focus (Katana), and 4 Fonts of Inspiration.

Is there any way I can improve on this?

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-31, 12:43 AM
I take it that isn't the exact order you are taking the feats in.

is this character's race drow?

are you trying to have synergy with a party?

what version of the katana is your DM using?

how powerful is the rest of the party? (the real measuring stick of Overpowered)

are weapon crystals allowed?

any magic items that you plan to have by a certain point?

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 01:16 AM
the Feats are pretty much in order (one font of inspiration is in between other feats, but yea.)

is this character's race drow?

No, Human. Why you ask?

are you trying to have synergy with a party?

Not exactly, I was thinking of being a jack of all trades, who just preffered that combat style. More of a loner. He would "intrude" into the party offering his services since he has the same goal as the party.

what version of the katana is your DM using?

Probably the OA one, are there different katanas out there? I thought It was only the masterwork Bastard Sword...

how powerful is the rest of the party? (the real measuring stick of Overpowered)

a Cleric, a Crusader, a Barbarian and a Sorcerer. The barbarian is doing a multiclass build based on a diving charge.

are weapon crystals allowed?

As long as I can afford them, yes. why would I need them though? IF isnt precision.

any magic items that you plan to have by a certain point?

Nothing specific... but probably a Ring of Evasion and another of Feather Fall eventually. Oh and a monk's belt. I plan on going with a silk tunic/etc.

Wands too, since ill be keeping UMD maxed.

The concept of this character is a cloth clad man, who is capable of slaying foes in an action so swift that it seems invisible (unsheathe, strike, sheathe back. Simple principle of Iaijutsu).

Is there any way to sheathe without provoking AoO or as a free/other action?

Rubik
2013-12-31, 01:22 AM
Weapon crystals would be for the weapon crystal of return. Attach one to each of your weapons so you can eschew Quick Draw completely.

Also, stack weapon crystal abilities on each crystal (for the MIC's 50% markup). It's far cheaper than buying a weapon with a bunch of +1/+2 energy abilities on it.

[edit] Wait, you're dumping Wis and getting a monk's belt? Does not compute.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 01:32 AM
What do you mean stack weapon crystals on top of weapon crystals... can someone explain?

also quick draw is a required feat for Iaijutsu Master.

Rubik
2013-12-31, 01:38 AM
What do you mean stack weapon crystals on top of weapon crystals... can someone explain?The MIC has rules for adding multiple magic item abilities onto each other for a 50% markup to all but the most expensive item quality. Choose several weapon crystal qualities that you would like to add to your main weapon. Take the most expensive one, then add all of the others for an additional 50% markup. Then your single weapon crystal will have all of the abilities you chose to put on it simultaneously.

also quick draw is a required feat for Iaijutsu Master.Well, that's an unfortunate waste of a feat, given that you can get better from a relatively inexpensive magic item.

Just to Browse
2013-12-31, 01:40 AM
From the SRD. I'm not sure what rules are in the MiC:

Multiple Similar Abilities
For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

So if you want a weapon crystal with two weapon crystal abilities, you just add them together. If "returning" crystals cost 10 gold and "smells like bananas" crystals cost 20 gold, then "returning + smells like bananas" crystals would cost 30.

Rubik
2013-12-31, 02:30 AM
From the SRD. I'm not sure what rules are in the MiC:

So if you want a weapon crystal with two weapon crystal abilities, you just add them together. If "returning" crystals cost 10 gold and "smells like bananas" crystals cost 20 gold, then "returning + smells like bananas" crystals would cost 30.See the post before yours.

Also, certain items never involve a surcharge, so long as they remain in an appropriate item slot: ability boosters and save boosters, primarily, though the book does grant a few additional appropriate slots for each, such as adding Cha to a headband or a resistance bonus to saves on a vest. It's how my most recent character managed to gain a +5 to saves while still using his Phase Cloak soulmeld.

Chronos
2013-12-31, 09:23 AM
(Std action to sheathe, free unsheathe, std action to attack... 6 IP cost... is there any better way after I've used my move action?).

That's best at low levels, and OK at mid levels, but at high levels you're better off using your extra standard action to move, if necessary, and then use your remaining full-round action for a full attack. Or, of course, you could use the standard action for a spell or skill usage.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 11:33 AM
That's best at low levels, and OK at mid levels, but at high levels you're better off using your extra standard action to move, if necessary, and then use your remaining full-round action for a full attack. Or, of course, you could use the standard action for a spell or skill usage.

Thats the thing. I wont have spells apart from 2 or 3 lvl 2 spells... I will have wands/scrolls..

the whole strategy (at lvl 18) would be like this. with about 21 IP

Move, unsheathe, Std action dual strike (one sword two cuts) with Boosted to Hit (1IP spent) + Cunning strike for sheathing (4 IP) + unsheathe and strike again dual strike with boosted hit (8 IP) + Sheathe (11 IP) + unsheathe and Cunning strike again, boosted to-hit (15 IP) + Sheathe (18 IP) + Unsheathe and strike again (21 IP)

That would be 4 Std actions, for strikes, x2 = 8 strikes, all with iaijutsu focus. They would deal in total (given I get 7d6 IF, prolly 9 but just Average) 7d6 x 8 (DM is letting dual strike from IM count as both being drawn)
56d6 + Cha mod x 56 (ouch?) + other mods. Im pretty sure the BBEG would die from that.

Granted I would only be able to do this once per encounter...
But seeing as the group (except the barbarian) isnt exceptionally optimized... I guess it would work out...

My goal is a Katana Wielding melee character. with skills.
I don't wanna hear about the gnomish quickrazor, I know about it, I know what it does, and I know my DM doesn't want me to use one.

Im trying to optimize a character around wielding a katana, and using a One strike, One kill archetype.

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-31, 12:51 PM
the whole strategy (at lvl 18) would be like this. with about 21 IP

Move, unsheathe, Std action dual strike (one sword two cuts) with Boosted to Hit (1IP spent) + Cunning strike for sheathing (4 IP) + unsheathe and strike again dual strike with boosted hit (8 IP) + Sheathe (11 IP) + unsheathe and Cunning strike again, boosted to-hit (15 IP) + Sheathe (18 IP) + Unsheathe and strike again (21 IP)

That would be 4 Std actions, for strikes, x2 = 8 strikes, all with iaijutsu focus. They would deal in total (given I get 7d6 IF, prolly 9 but just Average) 7d6 x 8 (DM is letting dual strike from IM count as both being drawn)
56d6 + Cha mod x 56 (ouch?) + other mods. Im pretty sure the BBEG would die from that.

Im trying to optimize a character around wielding a katana, and using a One strike, One kill archetype.

(nitpick)that is well over 1 hit (/nitpick)

and with a DR of 10 or 15 and a good chunk of hp, that is survivable (before dealing with nat-1s and crits). average of 368 with a cha modifier of 3, drop 8*[DR] which is 80 with DR 10 and 120 with DR 15.

If I were you, I would ask the DM his/her interpretation of the factotum sneak attack ability. with some interpretations, it would be worth while to drop an attack or two and instead burn the IP on sneak attack.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 04:38 PM
(nitpick)that is well over 1 hit (/nitpick)

and with a DR of 10 or 15 and a good chunk of hp, that is survivable (before dealing with nat-1s and crits). average of 368 with a cha modifier of 3, drop 8*[DR] which is 80 with DR 10 and 120 with DR 15.

If I were you, I would ask the DM his/her interpretation of the factotum sneak attack ability. with some interpretations, it would be worth while to drop an attack or two and instead burn the IP on sneak attack.

I guess I would have enchants/etc to bypass most of the DR....
How would sneak attack help though?

Forrestfire
2013-12-31, 04:40 PM
On the note of full attacking with katanas, you could always have a bunch of them to draw, attack with, and drop as a free action.

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-31, 05:02 PM
How would sneak attack help though?

it all comes down to numbers for help or no help. Lets say for a moment that your DM allows the Factotum's sneak attack to last the round and you can have more then one active in a round. If you dropped 1 attack, that would free up 6 IP for 6d6 sneak attack on 6 attacks.

your numbers before said 7d6 per attack so i'll use that, add 6d6 sneak attack, and get 13d6 per attack. 78d6+[cha]*42+[other]-6*[DR] may be better then 56d6+[cha]*56+[other]-8*[DR] in some fights.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-31, 05:33 PM
On the note of full attacking with katanas, you could always have a bunch of them to draw, attack with, and drop as a free action.

I plan on my katana being a sacred family heirloom of great importance.
Know where I can get multiple of those for such a tactic?

Osiris
2013-12-31, 06:48 PM
{snip}Probably the OA one, are there different katanas out there? I thought It was only the masterwork Bastard Sword...{snip}
Not just a masterwork _______ sword, a masterwork ONE-HANDED _______ sword! That thing puts standard swords to shame, if you're going to dual-wield, use those things! Yes, it usually requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but if you ARE a dual-wielder, then you're already drowning in required feats just to be functional.

Rubik
2013-12-31, 06:59 PM
Not just a masterwork _______ sword, a masterwork ONE-HANDED _______ sword! That thing puts standard swords to shame, if you're going to dual-wield, use those things! Yes, it usually requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but if you ARE a dual-wielder, then you're already drowning in required feats just to be functional.Um... Bastard swords are actually pretty terrible, sunblades notwithstanding.

Azoth
2013-12-31, 07:08 PM
There is a feat somewhere called Quick Sheath which lets you sheath your weapon as a free action.

Rubik
2013-12-31, 07:31 PM
It seems to me like taking a ToB class would better serve you than iaijutsu master. The class really doesn't give much beyond a few numerical boosts that factotum doesn't already give, and the rest of it is easily replaced by a level in monk, a feat, and some warblade levels.

bekeleven
2013-12-31, 09:06 PM
I plan on my katana being a sacred family heirloom of great importance.
Know where I can get multiple of those for such a tactic?

If your DM rules that you can enchant cursed items, yes.

Enchant a cursed sword up from -2 to -1, then load it up with WSAs (get it to positives if the DM lets you, I suspect most won't).

Carry your cursed heirloom sword and a dagger.

Whenever you start a combat, draw your sword. After every attack, drop the sword and draw the dagger. Since your sword is cursed, it appears in your hand after every weapon draw.

Aren't cursed swords great?

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-31, 09:33 PM
If your DM rules that you can enchant cursed items, yes.

Enchant a cursed sword up from -2 to -1, then load it up with WSAs (get it to positives if the DM lets you, I suspect most won't).

Carry your cursed heirloom sword and a dagger.

Whenever you start a combat, draw your sword. After every attack, drop the sword and draw the dagger. Since your sword is cursed, it appears in your hand after every weapon draw.

Aren't cursed swords great?
slightly offtopic
where are the rules for the negative enchantment curses? I'm having a hard time finding them.

bekeleven
2013-12-31, 10:54 PM
slightly offtopic
where are the rules for the negative enchantment curses? I'm having a hard time finding them.

There aren't generic rules for them, which is why you'd have to clear any custom work with your DM first.

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed)'s the specific item.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-01, 07:30 PM
There is a feat somewhere called Quick Sheath which lets you sheath your weapon as a free action.

Where is it? I must know. Kittens are at stake!

It seems to me like taking a ToB class would better serve you than iaijutsu master. The class really doesn't give much beyond a few numerical boosts that factotum doesn't already give, and the rest of it is easily replaced by a level in monk, a feat, and some warblade levels.

If by numerical boosts you mean that I get to add my Cha to every dice of the IF skill, twice (since one cut, two strikes)... and then can repeat this using cunning strike...

and you're saying a level in monk, a feat and some warblade levels replace this?

Do expand, I wish to know.

Rubik
2014-01-01, 08:00 PM
If by numerical boosts you mean that I get to add my Cha to every dice of the IF skill, twice (since one cut, two strikes)... and then can repeat this using cunning strike...

and you're saying a level in monk, a feat and some warblade levels replace this?

Do expand, I wish to know.Buying a necklace of natural weapons would allow you to add Aptitude, Throwing, and Distance to your monk's unarmed strike. Adding Manyshot would grant you +Int to every unarmed strike you make during that standard action using one inspiration point. It's not *exact,* but it's far more useful, I think, considering what else you can do with your levels in the meantime.

See this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) if you want additional ideas for extra damage.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 12:23 AM
Buying a necklace of natural weapons would allow you to add Aptitude, Throwing, and Distance to your monk's unarmed strike. Adding Manyshot would grant you +Int to every unarmed strike you make during that standard action using one inspiration point. It's not *exact,* but it's far more useful, I think, considering what else you can do with your levels in the meantime..

Manyshot grants +Int to all unarmed strike? Huh?

Rubik
2014-01-02, 12:26 AM
Manyshot grants +Int to all unarmed strike? Huh?With factotum and an inspiration point for +Int to damage and the item I mentioned? Yeah.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-02, 12:29 AM
...Adding Manyshot would grant you +Int to every unarmed strike you make during that standard action using one inspiration point. ...

I think you are naming the wrong feat. Manyshot is the multiple arrows as one standard action. I am also fairly sure it doesn't qualify for Aptitude since it doesn't specify a single weapon, only "arrows". Oh yes, and no precision damage on extra arrows.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 12:35 AM
Yea... And I don't want something like that. I want a simple, katana wielding character... who just has the potency to kill stuff. And While I appreciate the attempts of everyone on finding a way to make a simple building into some whirling monk of death and destruction (lol... I said monk)... I wanna keep my aesthetics intact D:

Little question... is there anything which would let me sheathe a weapon as a free action?

in that matter, do gloves of storing/cloak of weaponry count as drawing them when you take them out?
(free action store, free action draw?)

Rubik
2014-01-02, 12:37 AM
I think you are naming the wrong feat. Manyshot is the multiple arrows as one standard action. I am also fairly sure it doesn't qualify for Aptitude since it doesn't specify a single weapon, only "arrows". Oh yes, and no precision damage on extra arrows.Actually, arrows are specified as a specific type of weapon, and Manyshot explictly mentions that the feat works with them. The factotum's Int-to-damage isn't precision-based at all -- it even works on constructs and undead. And Manyshot is one attack with multiple damage rolls, so each should get the benefits of Int-to-damage, I believe.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 12:42 AM
Actually, arrows are specified as a specific type of weapon, and Manyshot explictly mentions that the feat works with them. The factotum's Int-to-damage isn't precision-based at all -- it even works on constructs and undead. And Manyshot is one attack with multiple damage rolls, so each should get the benefits of Int-to-damage, I believe.

Manyshot works like this. You roll to hit once, then roll for dmg separately for each projectile.

Facotum's ability says it has to be used before each roll. Which would mean that sure, I only need to use it once to hit per std action. but I still have to use it once per dmg die I wanna do.

also. I would prefer that the build was melee.

Im thinking of a Agile character, that can flurry with his katana (not the monk flurry, the adjetive) (Using cunning surge) and dealing Iaijutsu Focus dmg, possibly with the Cha to each die from Iaijutsu Master.

I would also like him to have a really good AC while unarmored (Thus I was thinking of taking Monk's belt (Would add Dex, Int, Wis to AC.) Are there any ways to improve this? (without taking feats, as I'm already kinda starved with them)

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-02, 01:54 AM
Manyshot works like this. You roll to hit once, then roll for dmg separately for each projectile.

Facotum's ability says it has to be used before each roll. Which would mean that sure, I only need to use it once to hit per std action. but I still have to use it once per dmg die I wanna do.

also. I would prefer that the build was melee.

Im thinking of a Agile character, that can flurry with his katana (not the monk flurry, the adjetive) (Using cunning surge) and dealing Iaijutsu Focus dmg, possibly with the Cha to each die from Iaijutsu Master.

I would also like him to have a really good AC while unarmored (Thus I was thinking of taking Monk's belt (Would add Dex, Int, Wis to AC.) Are there any ways to improve this? (without taking feats, as I'm already kinda starved with them)
a swordsage 2 dip with shadow blade would likely give you better results twords that goal then the master of masks and drow fighter levels (assuming your DM is willing to let your blade[s] of choice work or you use apptitude)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 11:10 AM
a swordsage 2 dip with shadow blade would likely give you better results twords that goal then the master of masks and drow fighter levels (assuming your DM is willing to let your blade[s] of choice work or you use apptitude)

Yes, I know that but Fighter lvls are for feats (which I kinda need... Hard to keep up FOI, IM entry feats and stuff like darkstalker up with just normal feats/flaws.
Master of masks Is mainly to get the proficieny in Katanas. But I'll see if I can talk with the DM to allow me to be naturally proficient with one... Ill stuff like gnomish qucikrazor and other IF cheese to convince him that its a better idea for me to use a katana...

Nightraiderx
2014-01-02, 11:19 AM
No one notices how the crystals of security would add to your iaijustu checks?
That's like a cheap +5/+10 competence bonus on that and you have protection against disarming attempts.

Edit: Katana's are mwk bastard swords. Unless you plan on wielding the katana 1-handed at any point you will not need exoctic weapon proficiency.

That said, there is a good place for a warblade dip- Sapphire nightmare blade lets you draw a weapon and use a concentration check to make your opponent flat-footed and deal +1d6 damage.

Second Edit: If you can spare a lvl in Cleric, do so. Grab travel devotion and use your turning to grab extra move actions. Since you said Cha was an important stat you can get good mileage. Grab the travel domain and trade it away for travel devotion. And grab the War domain and worship a diety that uses a katana- (or ask your DM if it's ok to use the war domain to get both proficiency and weapon focus (katana)

Sheathing a weapon is a move action. Using travel devotion,
if should get you at least two iaijutsu attacks per round. using one use
of cunning surge.

8 factotem/1 cleric/1 warblade/10 Iaijutsu master

JaronK
2014-01-02, 12:09 PM
A nice straight forward version of this is just Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 5/Warblade 7. Warblade works amazingly with this... you can now draw your weapon and full attack, then use Cunning Surge to initiate a maneuver for even more damage. Sapphire Nightmare Blade flat foots enemies, so that's very handy as well. And you get 6th level maneuvers out of it.

Btw, the // means gestalt, so the title is a bit off.

JaronK

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 12:17 PM
...8 factotem/1 cleric/1 warblade/10 Iaijutsu master

I like that. I'd be able to use cleric wands and some nifty maneuvers (If i take WB at lvl 5 id be able to get WRT right?) Which other 2 maneuvers are worth it (im not maxing concentration, I was planning on using wand of greater invis for flat footing). And which stance would you reccomend?

Since its a swift action renew... Wouldn't it conflict with cleric?

A nice straight forward version of this is just Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 5/Warblade 7. Warblade works amazingly with this... you can now draw your weapon and full attack, then use Cunning Surge to initiate a maneuver for even more damage. Sapphire Nightmare Blade flat foots enemies, so that's very handy as well. And you get 6th level maneuvers out of it.

Btw, the // means gestalt, so the title is a bit off.

JaronK

I did not know // specifically meant gestalt, I'll change it.

Also, wouldn't it be better to have IM 8 for the dual strike (as I said before, DM is letting me make that second attack in the same std action count as being drawn if the first one did (so double IF).

Nightraiderx
2014-01-02, 12:59 PM
I like that. I'd be able to use cleric wands and some nifty maneuvers (If i take WB at lvl 5 id be able to get WRT right?) Which other 2 maneuvers are worth it (im not maxing concentration, I was planning on using wand of greater invis for flat footing). And which stance would you reccomend?

Since its a swift action renew... Wouldn't it conflict with cleric?

You need to take Warblade at lvl 10-12 in order to get WRT. Your non initiator lvls are 1/2 Class level and you need IL 5 to get it.
The thing with concentration is that you get your int as well, but I understand if you don't want it. If you want instead you can take Crusader but there's a small chance of you not having WRT when you need it. (unlike warblade where you know what you have.). Stance-wise, if you take Crusader instead grab thicket of blades and use the skill tricks from complete scoundrel that require quick draw during an AoO.

I read earlier about the cursed sword, are you going with that? because would solve the need to worry about sheathing. The nice thing about travel devotion is that it makes it easier to reach your opponent before striking.
You don't need to refresh each round if you are going to use crusader.

And last but least if you are already full build, you can opt to push the crusader/warblade level as your last. 10 IL gives you up to 5th level manuevers/stances to work with although you will still need the prequisite number.

Crusader Manuevers worth looking into:
White Raven Tactics
White Raven Strike
Defensive Rebuke
Battle Leader's Charge

JaronK
2014-01-02, 02:01 PM
Also, wouldn't it be better to have IM 8 for the dual strike (as I said before, DM is letting me make that second attack in the same std action count as being drawn if the first one did (so double IF).

IM 8 is definitely cool, but so are high level Warblade maneuvers. In the end it's your call. Just check out the 6th level maneuvers and see if you like them better than the double IF attack (which is how that's supposed to work, btw).

JaronK

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-02, 11:21 PM
So, If I went Factotum 3/Cloistered Cleric 1 (War, Knowledge Dev, Time)/Factotum 4/Warblade 1/Factotum 1/Iaijutsu master 8/Warblade 4

By lvl 9 I would be able to use WRT to get two turns effectively, since theres nothing using my swift action, I could theoretically get 2 turns every round (1 round with 2 turns, first turn I use it, second I reload). (Cloistered cleric is for weapon focus (katana) ((Or something else, I could change it with warblade's ability)) and Improved initiative (reqs for IM) also wands and stuff. (guidance of the avatar, divine power?) May get a devotion feat that uses turn attempts, which one should I go for? Not travel dev, since ill be using all my swift actions to either cast a spell or white raven tactics.

I said I wanted a 1 hit 1 kill style. Well its not technically that, but rather, I would prefer 1 standard action 1 ton of dmg style, which I could then repeat with WRT and factotum. Preferably without doing full attack shenanigans.

(I wanna capture the whole meaning of Iaijutsu, but still maintain power in a group of min/maxed characters)...
Would this build work?

also, this is a question to which I havent found an answer.

Spell trigger items say that if you have the spell you dont need to make an UMD check, so for example, a lvl 1 cleric could use a wand of divine power without making any checks...

Does this transfer to scrolls? (Would a Cleric 1 theoretically be able to use a lvl 9 cleric spell scroll without any checks? (knowing what exactly the scroll is of course)).

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-03, 12:10 AM
Also, I plan on taking ranks in tumble, but If im only gonna use it to maybe ignore fall damage and move without provoking AoO, how many ranks should I spend? (Ill be adding Int and Dex to it cuz of factotum)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-03, 08:50 PM
Other than a Monk's Belt, what Can I do to get extra AC?

From Monk's Belt I'd get Wis to AC, Dex to AC from normal, Int to AC from IM, +5 robes of somethingsomething.

So AC would be 15+ Wis, Dex and Int. and I can spend inspiration to add Int to AC again.

What else is there?

bekeleven
2014-01-03, 08:57 PM
Kung-Fu Genius is a feat. Swaps monk AC bonus to int. The wording allows it to work with a monk's belt.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-03, 09:07 PM
A Feat for an overall increase of 2-3 AC? I think I can spend them on better stuff....

bekeleven
2014-01-03, 10:23 PM
A Feat for an overall increase of 2-3 AC? I think I can spend them on better stuff....

When I built factotums, I tend to dump wis really hard and use Keen Intellect to get into to spot, sense motive and will saves. If you're using wis for more things, I guess it doesn't make as much sense.

Rubik
2014-01-03, 10:26 PM
Other than a Monk's Belt, what Can I do to get extra AC?

From Monk's Belt I'd get Wis to AC, Dex to AC from normal, Int to AC from IM, +5 robes of somethingsomething.

So AC would be 15+ Wis, Dex and Int. and I can spend inspiration to add Int to AC again.

What else is there?Buy several L3 pearls of power, then invest in a number of +1 defending weapons -- armor spikes (add to a plain shirt, since it counts as armor, but only for enhancing), a shield and shield spikes (both are separate, since they're both listed as separate weapons, though you can't use either one if you're a monk) 2 gauntlets, each side of a quarterstaff, 2 braid blades, 2 sleeve blades, 2 boot blades, a necklace of natural weaponry (for your unarmed strike), and another for whatever natural weapons you might have (such as a bite or tail slap).

Greater Magic Weapon is your friend.

Also, grab yourself a speed boosting item (such as a rapid wrath weapon, from Ghostwalk, which doubles your speed and stacks with your monk boosts) and a ring of entropic deflection for a nice fat 50% miss chance on ranged weapons.