PDA

View Full Version : Help me create this item.

Kerilstrasz
2013-12-31, 08:32 AM
maybe this post should be in Homebrew section...
but i want to create this by the "rules"...

OK.. lets see..

"IT" is a badge, like a sheriff's badge. By story, it is like an army medal or badge of military rank. It is supposed to be given to soldiers for achieving a higher rank and distinguish them among the rest. So i suppose it shouldn't be very expensive because at the moment, in the world, there are like 1000 of them i use, and about 10.000 of them exist (in army storage or in possession of discharged soldiers).

Want i think, i want it, to do:
* The wearer gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities. Each ally within 60 feet of her gains a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities. This ability functions while the wearer is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.
* The wearer gains +2 "reputation" bonus to Diplomacy & Gather information
* The wearer can activate the badge to illuminate as per Light spell at will
* The wearer can activate the badge 1/Day to produce a Expeditious Retreat or Feather Fall effect
* The wearer can activate the badge 1/Week to produce a Whispering Wind effect

Consider the activated effects be CL1. Treat Badge activation as wand activation. For the 2 first effects the badge should be worn over any clothing (just as War Medals).

So.. what you think about this item? I am to give this to a level 2 Wizard, who as per story, holds a 2nd Lieutenant rank in his nation's army(and will lead a group of 4 as party leader).

Sian
2013-12-31, 08:44 AM
maybe this post should be in Homebrew section...
but i want to create this by the "rules"...

OK.. lets see..

"IT" is a badge, like a sheriff's badge. By story, it is like an army medal or badge of military rank. It is supposed to be given to soldiers for achieving a higher rank and distinguish them among the rest. So i suppose it shouldn't be very expensive because at the moment, in the world, there are like 1000 of them i use, and about 10.000 of them exist (in army storage or in possession of discharged soldiers).

Want i think, i want it, to do:
* The wearer gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities. Each ally within 60 feet of her gains a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities. This ability functions while the wearer is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.
* The wearer gains +2 "reputation" bonus to Diplomacy & Gather information
* The wearer can activate the badge to illuminate as per Light spell at will
* The wearer can activate the badge 1/Day to produce a Expeditious Retreat or Feather Fall effect
* The wearer can activate the badge 1/Week to produce a Whispering Wind effect

Consider the activated effects be CL1. Treat Badge activation as wand activation. For the 2 first effects the badge should be worn over any clothing (just as War Medals).

So.. what you think about this item? I am to give this to a level 2 Wizard, who as per story, holds a 2nd Lieutenant rank in his nation's army(and will lead a group of 4 as party leader).

+2 Morale Bonus to save

2^2*2000g = 4000g (only 2000g if resistence bonus instead, probably even less if only againt spell and spelllike, but not sure how to calc that)

+2 Diplomacy +2 Gather Infomation

2x 2^2*100 = 800g

1/Day to produce a Expeditious Retreat or Feather Fall effect
(SpellLevel*CasterLevel*2000)/5
1*1*2000/5=400g

1/Week to produce a Whispering Wind effect
(SpellLevel*CasterLevel*2000)/(5*days in a week)
2*3*2000/35 = ~286g

Light spell at will
SpellLevel*CasterLevel*2000*1.5
˝*1*2000*1.5 = 1500g

6986g

Multiply different abilities
highest cost *2

10986g

No space Limitation

21972g

not sure how to calculate the morale bonus to allies

supervillan
2013-12-31, 09:00 AM
nearly 22k gp does seem a bit high. However, you are giving a fairly large number of abilities on a slotless item and that will push the price up.

Consider limiting the effects. Drop most or all of the spell abilities and retain just the morale bonus to saves against magic, and the "mundane" skill bonuses that will only apply if the device is recognised by the observer for what it is. This should reduce the cost to a few thousand gold (afb, so can't do the sums for you, but check the DMG for instructions).

Higher ranking army officers could have more features on their rank devices.

Kerilstrasz
2013-12-31, 11:02 AM
hmm.. i could give it a slot...
there are items that used to hold cloaks in place... brooches(?)
is that a slot?

if not, then i ll specify that it uses shoulder slot and include in description that it actually be worn on chest (as war medals).

I suppose, as per Sian's calculations, this will drop the price in half..

...the "mundane" skill bonuses will only apply if the device is recognised by the observer for what it is...
I ll use this :smallsmile: (so it will just give a situational/mundane bonus)

i could make the "Light at will" into 1/day..
that gets me to about 5k.. ain't it?

seems better now???

Captnq
2013-12-31, 01:20 PM
The neck slot is a slot. So treat it like an amulet.

Here:

BADGE OF THE SVIRFNEBLIN
- MAGIC ITEM COMPENDIUM (3.5)
- MAGIC OF FAERUN (3.0)
Price (Item Level): 15,000 gp

TEUKIIR BADGE
- CITY OF SPLENDORS WATERDEEP (3.5)
Price 12,000 gp

GRIFFON BADGE OF WATERDEEP
- CITY OF SPLENDORS WATERDEEP (3.5)
GP: 400

DROW HOUSE INSIGNIA (SPELL)
- DROW OF THE UNDERDARK (3.5)
- LORDS OF DARKNESS (3.0)
- RACES OF FAERUN (3.0)
Spell Level - Price
1st - 620 gp
2nd - 3,300 gp
3rd - 8,200 gp

DROW HOUSE INSIGNIA (TRANSMITTING)
- DROW OF THE UNDERDARK (3.5)
Price (Item Level): 500 gp

ZUNDAERAZYLYM’S NEVERTOKENS
- CHAMPIONS OF VALOR (3.5)
Price: 67,000 gp

Go check those out. They're in the wondrous item section of the EVD. Might give you some ideas and price comparisons.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 01:47 AM
If your treating it as a wand for activation purposes, then the vast majority of the soldiers that get one won't be able to use it, as they can't cast those spells, unless they all have UMD or are spellcasters, I suppose.

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-02, 09:37 AM
If your treating it as a wand for activation purposes, then the vast majority of the soldiers that get one won't be able to use it, as they can't cast those spells, unless they all have UMD or are spellcasters, I suppose.

yep.. had that in mind when i designed it.. higher army ranks in this situations will be filled by casters or high UMD classes..
In rare cases a noncaster or UMD class achieves higher ranks then his/her adjutant will have/use it for him.