PDA

View Full Version : The best MAD classes

Ignominia
2013-12-31, 10:19 AM
Ok, So, Its a common consensus that multiple ability dependence on a class is a detriment to that class. Point buy allows you to spread out your bonuses, but rolling stats is completely random. Potentially leaving you with only 1 or maybe 2 of your abilities boosted the way you want.

But lets say its your lucky day... and you roll really high stats... enough to make any MAD class worth while... What would be the best route to go (baring multiclassing)?

Muktidata
2013-12-31, 10:26 AM
Stats dont make the BAD classes "worthwhile". That said, I'd play a Monk if I had straight 18's.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-31, 10:31 AM
Thing is even if you do roll straight 18's, a SAD class is still better off than a MAD one because a SAD class has only one attribute score they need to invest into pumping (level increases, magic items, tomes, etc.).

Also, if I ever rolled straight 18's, I'd run out of that session and buy myself a lottery ticket.

Eldariel
2013-12-31, 10:38 AM
Honestly, there are Tier 1s that can use all stats if desired. E.g. Cleric Skillmonkey Warrior build makes good use of all 6 stats (though it doesn't really need 'em); Cloistered Cleric Archer or melee works either way.

Same with Gishes, the Artificer, non-Wild Shape Druids, etc. That said, from the Core classes that normally suffer, Ranger gets pretty good with optimal stats particularly with Sword of the Arcane Order. Rogue likes it too.

Thing is even if you do roll straight 18's, a SAD class is still better off than a MAD one because a SAD class has only one attribute score they need to invest into pumping (level increases, magic items, tomes, etc.).

Also, if I ever rolled straight 18's, I'd run out of that session and buy myself a lottery ticket.

Too late, you used up all your luck already.

Rebel7284
2013-12-31, 11:08 AM
Paladin with inspire courage optimization is very mad and not a bad built.

Dread_Head
2013-12-31, 11:10 AM
I've always wanted to make a melee bard but never quite had good enough stats to give it a go.
Need Charisma for to hit and damage through Snowflake Wardance and Slippers of Battledancing as well as spellcasting and most of your best skills.
Dexterity to pick up TWF since its the best fighting style to use with Snowflake Wardance
Constitution because you can't dump Con and to make up for poor HP and Fort saves
Strength for damage before Slippers of Battledancing are picked up and for to hits if you can't afford weapon finesse (quite likely as this build ends up being pretty feat intense)
Intelligence because skill points on a skill monkey are nice
Leaving wisdom as the only dump stat.

So that's what I'd go with if I had really high stats

eggynack
2013-12-31, 11:14 AM
Honestly, there are Tier 1s that can use all stats if desired. E.g. Cleric Skillmonkey Warrior build makes good use of all 6 stats (though it doesn't really need 'em); Cloistered Cleric Archer or melee works either way.
Yeah, I definitely agree on that count. Clerics can easily benefit from lots of points in every stat, primarily owing to the fact that they often beat stick and lack stat replacement. They're probably the MADdest tier one class, though they're less multiple ability dependent than the are multiple ability desiring, and they can easily go perfectly SAD as a result.

Talderas
2013-12-31, 11:20 AM

Just because a class or build is MAD does not mean it has multiple attributes that actually require investment. Some of these MAD instances revolve around the fact that you need X in an attribute in order to qualify for feats. Values of X+1 or higher are entirely useless. In a point buy this causes issues because you need to expend points towards those attributes in order to fulfill requirements. Starting with high stats does wonders to satisfy all your attribute prerequisites and reduce the MAD you suffer by reducing the number of attributes you actualy have to invest in.