PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph for dummy (me)

littlebum2002
2013-12-31, 10:34 AM
I'm not an "optimizer", so whenever I use potentially cheesy things like Polymorph I never cheese them out like I could. I find a creature that does what I want to do and use it. (I don't, for instance, read every monster entry in my books to find the single best creature to ploymorph into, or polymorph into creature that offer free Wishes, etc.)

Anyway, so although I don't cheese myself, I am fully aware of the cheese potential. What I DON'T understand is the "polymorph eratta". I can't for the life of me figure out how it was changed exactly. Can someone give a dumbed down explanation of what, exactly, was changed? And did it actually fix anything?
(And yes, I HAVE tried googling this. The only thread that looked promising, "Polymorph eratta explained" was lost in the Gleemax forums)

Thank you in advance.

eggynack
2013-12-31, 10:57 AM
It doesn't look like any errata changed anything about the mechanics of polymorph. According to this source (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a), the errata sought to reduce the reliance of other abilities on the polymorph rules. Thus, they changed wild shape to alternate form, they gave baleful polymorph some rules text that is independent of any other spell effect, and so on. So, they didn't fix polymorph at all, but they did change some other things in a presumably beneficial way.

littlebum2002
2013-12-31, 03:31 PM
OOh, OK. I guess that explains why I couldn't find any information on Polymorph eratta, because there wasn't any! Thanks.

Urpriest
2013-12-31, 07:08 PM
Note that for core rules stuff like polymorph, the version on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) includes all errata.

littlebum2002
2014-01-01, 11:27 AM
Thanks. But since I've been playing for less than a year, the only experience I have is with errata, so I would not be aware of the un-erattad (I doubt that's a real word) rules.

Although one of those sites, either d20srd or dandwiki i forget which,has the original rules striked out with the errata afterward, which is very useful for people like me.