PDA

View Full Version : Samsaran Shenanigans (Build Help)

Macabros
2013-12-31, 12:22 PM
Ok so I wanted to make a character for a 1-5 AP in Pathfinder we might go into other APs after we are not sure. This game is to kick off us moving into a place together (My GF, Her Older Bro, and Myself with a gaming buddy visiting often).

So I wanted to play either a Druid or Witch, I like the fluff for both of them and they are really cool. But I am leaning Witch due to the hexes and my love of the old Warlock invocations.

Now we are allowed one free CR 1 template. We have run games where CR 1 or 2 advances didnt seem that big of a table edge none of up play Optimized builds we just like to play and have fun.

Now with that said I am taking the Mystic Past Life Alternate Race Trait.
What spell list should I go to to cherry pick spells. Remember that I can pick spells I cannot cast yet and just add them to my list for me to learn later or auto know if I do eventually go Druid.

My Int is currently 24 which means I get 7 spells to choose from for this.
So what spells are best to pick from say the Wizards spell list for a casual gamer running a Witch?

Psyren
2013-12-31, 03:10 PM
Open a wizard handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13IZTV59ItNsK63RHQo2XGkjMKiU8LfRu5PCaE3R5lco/edit) in one window, a witch handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1avH5AFYaZ838OC_W7BY_Bnt1TH9KGCc2ygTOb0CiYu 0) in another, and find good spells in the first that are not in the second. (Which ones are best for you to take depends on factors like who else is in the party and the nature of the campaign.)

Macabros
2013-12-31, 06:54 PM
I know the witch has issues with undead and those immune to mind altering effects.
I know plague and occult patron give you some undead spells but what fixes this best?

Psyren
2013-12-31, 07:15 PM
The Witch does get summon spells, so even in an undead-heavy campaign with a basic witch you'll always have an answer you can fall back on if you prepare a couple of them. A summon buffed with Fortune and Ward can be fairly tough for its level.

The Plague patron is indeed one of the better ways to handle undead. There is also the Gravewalker archetype, which has the added advantage of letting you deliver touch spells at a distance, and failing both of those you can pick up Threnodic Spell (preferably via rod) to deal with undead.

Macabros
2013-12-31, 09:41 PM
Not saying they are worthless against them but they lack spells that perform crowd control as most of the spells and hexes are single target based.

So which spell list are good for crowd control spells and or Undead/Mind Resistant spells?

Psyren
2014-01-01, 11:52 AM
The Sor/Wiz list has the most AoE.

Witches do get some area control spells of their own too e.g. web, sleet storm, and black tentacles.