PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Rogue Archetypes and Trapfinding

Dragon-Rider
2013-12-31, 12:36 PM
I was looking through the various Rogue Archetypes and noticed that many of them have abilities that replace Trapfinding. In the group I play in, the Rogue is ALWAYS expected to be the character who finds and disables traps. Can you all help to find a way to have it so a player can play one of these Archetypes and still fulfill the group's expectation of finding and disabling all traps?

I know there are a few other classes that have archetypes that give the Trapfinding ability, but is there any to get it without having to multiclass? If not, is there a class that would give both Trapfinding and not mess up delay the character's sneak attack progression? I guess we could House-Rule it, but I'd prefer to find an official way...

Thank you,
~Dragon-Rider

stack
2013-12-31, 01:19 PM
Alchemist with vivisectionist and trapbreaker.

In fact, you can use that for all your levels and be ahead of the rogue, but that's another conversation.

Psyren
2013-12-31, 01:27 PM
What you have to remember is that Trapfinding isn't as vital in Pathfinder as it was in 3.5. All it does in PF is (a) make finding traps slightly easier (you won't really notice the difference until level 10+ or so) and (b) let you disable magic traps with Disable Device. Unlike 3.5, you don't need it in order to have a chance at detecting magic traps/traps above 20 DC in the first place - now anyone can do that. To disable a magic trap without it, you can simply use a dispel. And the standard tricks of using a summon to trigger the trap or facechecking with a durable/warded party member still work as well.

grarrrg
2014-01-01, 12:35 AM
TO THE DIPPING GUIDE! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12613046#post12613046)
*60's Batman transition*

Alchemist 1A (Crypt Breaker)
Alchemist 2A (Trap Breaker)
Bard 1A (Sandman)
Bard 2A (multiple archetypes)
Oracle 1A (Seeker)
Ranger 1A (Trapper), or 3A (Urban Ranger)
Rogue 1
Sorcerer 1A (Seeker)

Aspis Agent 1
Balanced Scale of Abadar 1, only Temporarily disables Magic traps
Brother of the Seal 2
Cyphermage 1?, Can only detect "writing" based traps, can detect them with Perception or Knowledge (Arcana), can disable them with Disable Device or Spellcraft
Field Agent 1, optional (can also be taken at 3, 6 or 9)
Pathfinder Delver 1

Always a possibility I missed one or two.

Alchemist with vivisectionist and trapbreaker.
Solid idea. Low disruption of Rogue stuff.
My suggestion was going to be 1 level of Trapper Ranger. It would slow your Sneak by 1 level, but wouldn't hiccup your Bab, and would give a boost to Fort Save.

Dragon-Rider
2014-01-02, 01:52 PM
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

~Dragon-Rider

StreamOfTheSky
2014-01-02, 05:31 PM
My suggestion was going to be 1 level of Trapper Ranger. It would slow your Sneak by 1 level, but wouldn't hiccup your Bab, and would give a boost to Fort Save.

I'd suggest adding Freebooter archetype to that Ranger dip.

But, as Psyren noted, Trapfinding really isn't that important anymore. Having Disable Device as a class skill just means a +3 bonus and traits can easily get you it if you really want it. Anyone can find and disable nonmagical traps and find magical traps. Detect Magic also finds magical traps and is infinite-use. And Dispel Magic can deal with them and no longer caps at +10.

PF did a very good job of destroying all of the rogue's niche protection and doing absolutely nothing to make up for it.