PDA

View Full Version : Player/Character info restrictions?

RandomNPC
2013-12-31, 03:42 PM
I've got gamers that read here so I'll let you know what they know and ask my questions.

Slavery is a legitimate business, as long as slaves are born into it. Slaver leaders all have face tattoos and seem to be able to spot slaves, to the point that town guards will arrest someone because a slaver says they don't have proof that they aren't a runaway slave.

Someone is playing an escaped slave and has gained someone to claim ownership and let them do as they please. Thing is they can't go far from said person, and seeing as they just sank a slave ship, all kinds of slavers are going to show up, looking for "lost goods."

If anyone picks up on the forgery of the ownership papers, the gig is up. So the slave is looking to be freed, seeing as any tattooed slaver can free a slave it shouldn't be a problem, I've got cost figured out and everything. There's even a safeguard that keeps them from telling others how to free slaves. But, we tend to have middling amounts of player/character knowledge crossover, and I don't want this to become a game all about destroying the slave industry unless the PCs actually earn it.That's where my question comes in.

When a slave gets freed so a slaver no longer sees them as a slave, they then get hit with Modify Memory and how it happened gets erased. As a player, would anyone have issue with not being told what happened? Especially with the fact that the character doesn't know?

Rhynn
2013-12-31, 03:50 PM
When a slave gets freed so a slaver no longer sees them as a slave, they then get hit with Modify Memory and how it happened gets erased. As a player, would anyone have issue with not being told what happened? Especially with the fact that the character doesn't know?

I'd roll any saves, etc., first, and if the spell works, just tell the PC something happens and they don't remember it.

That's how I'd run it as a GM, that's how I'd expect it to be run as a player. Mysteries are cool, but they only stay mysteries if you don't get told, as a player, what they are.

(This actually reminds me of, IIRC, a story in Dragon about someone's killer dungeon... a PC enters a hallway, a save is rolled, and the DM says "You're dead." "What? How!?" "Well, none of you know how. Anybody wanna go look?")

AttilaTheGeek
2014-01-01, 09:17 AM
I'd roll any saves, etc., first, and if the spell works, just tell the PC something happens and they don't remember it.

That's how I'd run it as a GM, that's how I'd expect it to be run as a player. Mysteries are cool, but they only stay mysteries if you don't get told, as a player, what they are.

That's what I'd do. If you don't know, you don't know.