PDA

View Full Version : Quasilycanthrope's Disguise Self ability

Coidzor
2013-12-31, 04:37 PM
So Quasilycanthrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a)gives Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm) as a Supernatural Ability.

I keep hearing that it doesn't actually allow them to look like a different person and is instead limited solely to adding animal features to how they always look. Looking over it, I don't see where that reading is coming from, as to me it seems solely to state that whenever the ability is used, the Quasilycanthrope must have a tell as to what animal their quasilycanthropy is associated with.

So if I'm reading this incorrectly, I'd like it pointed out where I'm going wrong or if there's some piece of rules text I'm missing that invalidates my current interpretation.

Also, is it just RAI that the whiskers/tail/shaggy hair/canine teeth are actually physically present or would that be a valid reading of the RAW from the combination of being a supernatural ability and the example text?

Disguise Self (Su): A quasilycanthrope can shift its own form ever so slightly. This works just like a disguise self spell cast at the quasilycanthrope's character level except that the guises the quasilycanthrope can assume must involve some aspect of the base animal. For example, a quasiwerewolf can grow shaggy hair and pointed canine teeth. A quasiweretiger can grow whiskers and a tail. The quasilycanthrope cannot change body types or give itself natural weaponry.

Disguise Self
Illusion (Glamer)
You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment.

If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check.

A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-31, 05:10 PM
I agree that you can change your form as long as you include a tell of your associated animal.
For the real/not real thing, the text certainly makes it sound like it's supposed to be real. RAW i'd have to disagree though. It's an Illusion (Glamer) since the only thing the ability changes is the tell requirement.
Compare the druids A thousand faces ability which explicitly calls out that it's not an illusion.