PDA

View Full Version : Wisplings casting as..early qualfications?

CyberThread
2013-12-31, 06:02 PM
Wisplings can cast ethereal jaunt as a level 9 caster? Does this count for any PRC qualification?

Jeff the Green
2013-12-31, 11:33 PM
You mean Shyfts, right?

Anyway, I doubt it. It's an SLA, so it won't get you into any classes that require actual casting, and since they cast it as a cleric (very unusual) they don't have the arcane caster level required by some prestige classes like blood magus.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 01:42 AM
As a SLA it qualifies for anything requiring a CL and anything that requires that specific spell. Note that as a SLA it does -not- qualify as either arcane or divine magic so if the CL requirement specifies one or the other it is -not- enough. It also doesn't qualify you for anything that requires the ability to cast X level spells.

Vaz
2014-01-01, 11:56 AM
I though SLA's were not defined as being Arcane or Divine, it was as if they were by a Sorcerer, hence Arcane Caster Level 9th (or lower) prereqs are met.

Psyren
2014-01-01, 02:33 PM
I though SLA's were not defined as being Arcane or Divine, it was as if they were by a Sorcerer, hence Arcane Caster Level 9th (or lower) prereqs are met.

This. Monster Manual:

A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.

Thus it counts as an arcane caster level.

GreenETC
2014-01-01, 04:51 PM
Thus it counts as an arcane caster level.

Ethereal Jaunt (Sp): Once per day, a shyft can make an ethereal
jaunt as if by a cleric of 9th level or its character level,
whichever is higher.
The ability in question specifies as a cleric, but if it still defaults to arcane, I could see some awesome shenanigans with Mindbender, which requires an arcane CL of 5, Charm Person, and 4 ranks in four social skills. That gives you Mindsight at level 3, which I'd say is pretty sweet.

Vaz
2014-01-01, 05:35 PM
Sadly not; it defines Cleric, and Specific>General takes place. You've got to factor in LA as well.

Psyren
2014-01-01, 08:50 PM
The ability in question specifies as a cleric, but if it still defaults to arcane, I could see some awesome shenanigans with Mindbender, which requires an arcane CL of 5, Charm Person, and 4 ranks in four social skills. That gives you Mindsight at level 3, which I'd say is pretty sweet.

Obviously if it says "as a cleric" then the SLA is divine. Clerics are divine casters. I was merely arguing against the general case, that SLAs are untyped by default, which the MM disagrees with.