PDA

View Full Version : Wartroll health Monstermanual 3 p181

derninus
2013-12-31, 10:19 PM
the wartroll from monstermanual 3 p 181

it has 29 constitution score that result in +9

it has 12d8+84 health but shouldnt it be 12d8 + 9*12 (108)

According to the health it should have +7 con 24/25

but it has 13 fortitude hence the +9 con should apply since 12 hd monstrous humanoid have +4 fortitude.

ksbsnowowl
2013-12-31, 10:41 PM
From the MM3 errata:

Page 181: Troll, War
Changes to the stat block for the war troll:
Hit Dice: 12d8+108 (162 hp)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+26
Attack: Masterwork greatsword +23 melee
(3d6+15/19–20) or bite +21 melee (1d8+10) or
masterwork composite longbow (+10 Str bonus) +15
ranged (2d6+10/x3)
Full Attack: Masterwork greatsword +23/+18/+13
melee (3d6+15/19–20) and bite +19 melee (1d6+5); or
2 claws +21 melee (1d8+10) and bite +19 melee
(1d6+5); or masterwork composite longbow (+10 Str bonus) +15/+10/+5 ranged (2d6+10/x3)

Note that there are actually still a few mistakes in the errata stats, which I have highlighted in blue. It should also list a single claw as an option in the Attack line, and it is questionable that the bite listed there has a bonus of +21 (as it should always be considered a secondary attack, IIRC).

TuggyNE
2014-01-01, 01:22 AM
Note that there are actually still a few mistakes in the errata stats, which I have highlighted in blue. It should also list a single claw as an option in the Attack line, and it is questionable that the bite listed there has a bonus of +21 (as it should always be considered a secondary attack, IIRC).

Actually, I think the problem comes in listing the single attack option as Bite when it should be Claw. Claws are its primary natural attack, and they do 1d8 base consistently; bite does 1d6, like a regular troll's. Once that's fixed all the errors disappear at once.

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-01, 01:58 AM
Actually, I think the problem comes in listing the single attack option as Bite when it should be Claw. Claws are its primary natural attack, and they do 1d8 base consistently; bite does 1d6, like a regular troll's. Once that's fixed all the errors disappear at once.

Good catch; you are probably right.

RedWarlock
2014-01-01, 02:34 AM
Actually, I think they skip claw because of the greatsword occupying both hands, at least enough so to prevent the hand's usage for claw attacks.

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-01, 02:39 AM
Actually, I think they skip claw because of the greatsword occupying both hands, at least enough so to prevent the hand's usage for claw attacks.

On a full attack, you would be correct. But we are talking about the single attack line. Placing or removing a hand from a weapon is a free action. The troll could easily carry the greatsword in one hand while attacking with the other (if he needed to get past some piercing DR, for example).

RedWarlock
2014-01-01, 08:55 AM
Yes, but where is the line drawn for a free action? It's only a small stretch that you would have people arguing that that claw attack could be used during a full attack after the greatsword is swung, after all, it's only a free action.

No, better to just say that the hand is off-limits for attacks due to being occupied. (Plus, I believe I just recently came across the implication that free actions, while unlimited, can only be done outside of your turn IF the specific action explicitly says it can. Otherwise, only on your turn.)

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-01, 09:51 AM
You draw the line once the limb has been used to make an attack for the round (with a manufactured weapon or otherwise). This is fairly well established in the rules.

It's no different than a Cleric of Kord taking his hand off his greatsword to cast a spell with a somatic component, but still threatening for AoO's during the following round.

Just looking in the MM1:

Cloud Giant: Gargantuan Morningstar ... or slam (we know from the listed damage that the morningstar is wielded two-handed)
Fire Giant: Greatsword ... or Slam
Frost Giant: Greataxe ... or Slam
Hill Giant: Greatclub ... or slam
Stone Giant: Greatclub ... or slam
Storm Giant: Greatsword ... or slam
Astral Deva: +3 heavy mace of disruption ... or slam (we know from the listed mace damage that it is wielded two-handed)
Planetar: +3 greatsword ... or slam
Bearded Devil: glaive ... or claw
Horned Devil: spiked chain ... or claw ...
Ice Devil: spear ... or claw
Sample Lich: Touch ... or Quarterstaff

Shall I keep going?